Andrew Smith Practice Field

greenjoe

One, I was being factitious when I stated that a rolled doobie and a can a beer should be placed besides AS's name in the end zone. I really did not think anyone took that seriously.

That's in horrible taste, you should be ashamed for posting that.

I'm not going to voice my opinion on this because I didn't donate the money, and it's not up to you or me. It's ultimately MM's decision, so let's just leave it at that.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

---Nothing I have said has been to harm Andrew Smith... he made a fatal error... I just don't see him as the most worthy person to have a high-profile item named for him... Joe Greene and Abner Haynes are far more worth in my opinion. The problem the younger members here don't truly realize what they have done and how much they have been a credit to OUR university. Both have brought a lot of positive attention to us... Abner was not so popular at the time but North Texas did the right thing and allowed blacks into the athletic program... The SWC wasn't... nor was ACC or SEC. We stood out and a lot of our younger members do not really understand what that meant. Greene is our best nationally known athlete EVER.

---The religion comment is a very cheap shot.... I am not attending a Baptist Church but instead a Presbyterian one, not that it matters. I have German name and my family made Beer during Prohibition (most German families did) but for personal use not for sale (no one seemed to care, I actually think it was not illegal to make smalll amount for personal use). I consume pretty much as Europeans do... maybe more than most people but not all of Saturday night. Europeans in general drink quite often but most look down on those who drink way too much... actually legal penalties for intoxicated driving in Europe are much more severe than in America.

---I just think the suggestion sends a bad message.... there are a lot of other good people who have been at UNT that have nothing named for them. For what it is worth... he wasn't the only player that contributed to our Bowl win.. so did Cobbs, Brewster and many more.

---Maybe I have lost respect... if so, I don't care.... I still think Greene and Abner Haynes are far more deserving. I have never been afraid to speak up for what I believe... When you get my age you likely will remember times that you wish that you had spoken up for what you believed instead of accepting what was happening..... I do.

---Twenty years from now which of the above will be remembered the most for their accomplishments, especially outside of the UNT community???

UNT-1966

I like the Abner idea because he overcame the adversity he was forced to deal with. Andrew Smith was not forced to drink nor forced to drive after drinking. I think that if it does become the Andrew Smith practice facility that it should, as others have said, have a plaque of how he died and a message about consequences and choices to future players. This isn't Marshall, those guys had no choice to make regarding their fate. Andrew had a choice and made the wrong one. We should learn from his mistakes, not omit them.

I am a younger member, so before you get on your "you younger fans just don't know..." I have personally sent emails to every member on the panel that votes for the Texas Sports Hall of Fame on behalf of the glaring admission of Abner Haynes. I have the utmost respect for history. I have never suggested that Andrew was the "most" deserving, or that it should even be named after him. If it's not, that's fine, if it is, I would think that is awesome. What ticks me off is the completely callous comments being made about Andrew. And what for? To state an opnion, which means nothing in what will actually happen with the field, on a message board? Totally uncalled for.

I have a Smith 12 jersey, and every year in red ribbon week I take it to school and tell my classes about Andrew. All of my teams know about him as well. I believe he died for a reason, and that is keep others that know about him to keep from making the same mistake. Bad things happen to good people when they mess with drugs and alcohol and the consequences of those things do not care how talented you are or what you have in your future. That is an important message for youth because until they can put a face, an actual person with it, they never think it can happen to them. Usually after I tell the story I have a few hands raised of friends or family members that were hurt or killed by a drunk driver. What his story does is have the other kids see that it is a real danger with real consequences. In my opnion, it is much more effective than handing out a red ribbon and say Just Say No. They need to know why they need to say no, and what could happen if they disregard the advice.

He paid the ultimate price for his mistake, and his family still pays for it. Instead of keeping score of who was honored how much and if they deserve it, and making cold hearted comments to back up "what you believe", let's honor the good they have all done for our school.

We should learn from his mistakes, not omit them.

I agree completely. That is the only positive that can come from his death.

Edited by Coach

---Some younger people sort of understand, most don't.... After he and some others enrolled at NTSC crosses were burned on President Matthews' lawn and for quite some time sidewalks and other places were spray painted in protest. UNT kept it pretty quiet and not much of the events managed to not make the news ( George Wallace and Un. Alabama was the same year). Matthews managed to not publicize the protests which was very good on his part and for UNT or NTSC). Work crews were up every mourning early cleaning up those remarks. The KA incident was mentioned but that was one day by a few idiots..... not almost everyday for a year or two knowing that most people was wishing he would just go away. Big difference. Perhaps you know... most younger people don't..... even then it is hard to understand the environment as it was then if you have never been there. I wasn't either but did see some similiar things as a kid, just not at UNT.

---I am very proud of what UNT did... it was the right thing....no one in the former SWC can say the same. Fry (at SMU) was the first in the SWC to take action in the mid 1960's, about ten years later. .

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66