Expanded DRC article on Phillips & other Starters

NT80

Dickey tabs Phillips to start at QB

San Angelo Lake View product beats out Meager, Wilson for now

09:36 PM CDT on Tuesday, August 29, 2006

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

Matt Phillips never had the fastest 40-yard dash time, the quickest release or the other attributes that most quarterbacks possess on the major college level.

What he did have was confidence and a drive that never allowed him to give up.

Phillips That proved to be enough for Phillips on Tuesday when UNT coach Darrell Dickey announced that the former San Angelo Lake View standout would start for the Mean Green on Saturday at Texas in a televised game.

“I want to capitalize on the opportunity,” Phillips said. “Being on TV is a big deal, but I am not that worried about it. I just have to go out and concentrate on getting the team a victory and getting ready for the rest of the season.”

Phillips came into fall practice as seemingly the third option in a three-man race for the starting job with returning starter Daniel Meager and junior college transfer Woody Wilson.

Dickey said on Tuesday that Meager will not play against Texas because of the lingering effects of a concussion. Wilson is expected to play a significant role against the Longhorns and will have a chance to prove that he is the long-term solution for the Mean Green.

“Ramon and I sat down and talked and there were reasons to start both of them,” Dickey said of a meeting he had Tuesday with offensive coordinator Ramon Flanigan. “We pretty much just picked one. The fact that Matt played in games last year, went through pre-game warm-up, traveled with us and did those sort of things gave him an edge.

“I made the decision, but I wouldn’t have had a problem picking Woody.”

The decision certainly isn’t final.

Meager is expected to return to practice in the next few days and Dickey said all three quarterbacks have had their moments in fall camp.

“The biggest thing now is that we want to continue the competitiveness that is going on at that position,” Dickey said. “If and when someone separates himself then they will warrant the majority of the snaps.”

UNT’s players and coaches wouldn’t be surprised if Phillips is that player.

“We have a lot of confidence in Matt,” running back Jamario Thomas said. “He goes in to watch extra film and has worked hard since spring practice to get this opportunity.”

Phillips came off the bench behind Meager last season and threw for 448 yards and four touchdowns. His rise through the Mean Green’s depth chart continued in the UNT’s spring game when he threw for 242 yards.

Phillips built on that performance in fall practice and won the job – at least for now – over Wilson.

Two years ago, the chances of Phillips playing Division I-A college football, let alone starting against the defending national champion, seemed slim. No team offered Phillips a Division I-A college scholarship on national signing day.

Instead of signing with a Division II team, Phillips decided to wait on UNT, which showed interest and asked him to wait so it could sort out its scholarship situation. The decision paid off when the Mean Green found a spot for Phillips.

“I really thought I had a chance,” Phillips said. “I set high standards for myself. Things worked out.”

Phillips hadn’t had an opportunity to call his parents or friends back in San Angelo as of Tuesday afternoon, but he had an idea of what would happen back in his hometown this weekend.

“Everyone and his dog will have the television on,” Phillips said. “It will be a packed house back there in West Texas. Everyone will be watching the game.”

Briefly …

Redshirt freshman Evan Robertson will enter the season as UNT’s No. 2 tailback. Robertson was not on the Mean Green’s depth chart to start fall practice, but has earned the chance to back up former national rushing champion Jamario Thomas. … Denis Hopovac has won the starting job at kicker. The senior kicked off last season and will now also handle the place kicking duties… TE Robert Harmon (hernia) will be available for the Texas game, but likely won’t play. … FB Ryan Davenport, DE Marquis Ellison and LBs Phillip Graves and Colt Mahan are out for the Texas game. … WR Johnny Quinn (broken hand) is expected to return to practice today, when UNT’s coaches will begin to determine his role for the Texas game. … DB Roy Loren is still waiting on paperwork that will clear him to practice and is likely out for the Texas game. … Returning starter Chad Rose and freshman Kelvin Drake are nearly even in the race for the starting job at center. Both will play against Texas.

So the "stud" kicker we signed isn't starting?  And I can help Dickey figure out J-Quinn's role in the UT game...none.  Play him against SMU at 100%

Chill out Emmitt. If you go back and look, you will notice that most of our best kickers, including those with pro time, either didn't start or struggled as freshmen. The kid has the leg. Give him some time to adjust to college ball.