Patrick Cobbs Pro Day results

Will to Win

Per yesterday's startlegram.

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/14325619.htm

McLemore also isn't alone as a long-shot NFL prospect.

Former North Texas back Patrick Cobbs, who led the nation in rushing in 2003, also is too small. Former Mississippi State end Willie Evans, who led the SEC in sacks last season, is too weak. Former Eastern Washington wideout Eric Kimble, the school's all-time leading receiver, is too slow.

Or so the yardstick, scales and stopwatches say.

Rick

At the UTA pro day PC had a good showing. He was timed in 4.45 up to 4.54 in the 40 yd dash. He was exceptional in the short shuttle (a measure of quickness) where he timed at 4.09. Patrick has never been a speed guy. He's a quick back with a good burst, just his top end speed is not real fast.

Another thing everyone needs to realize is the new turf at Fouts has not settled. It is still way too soft (spongey) and this is killing 40 times. Not to mention the wind, which can swirl on the field (ever since the endzone seats were added) can hurt times even if you think the wind is at your back. Case in point, there were a couple of kids at the NT pro day from other schools who have legitimate track speed. I recognized one who used to play at UT and went to state in the 100 in HS. His best 40 on that day was 4.55 (with wind). The other kid (a saftey from Midwestern State), I was told was a track guy, and he ran in the 4.5s with and 4.7s against the wind. The field right now is just a slow turf until it finishes settling.

PC will get a shot some where. He'll probably go late round (7th) or undrafted FA, but he'll get his shot.

The artificial field turf/grass at Fouts right now slows down speed a great deal... I remember back in high school we played on the old style turf one game and I felt like a speedster... and then the next game will played on artificial grass (the stuff at fouts right now) and let me tell you I felt like I was trying to run in sand.

There is not a better representative of UNT than Patrick Cobbs. Whatever he does in life you can rest assured he will make us all extremely proud.

I try not to get emotional on this site but I am really going to miss Patrick Cobbs being on this football team. His toughness and leadership will be terribly missed.