DMN MG spring training starts in 3-4 defense

OldTimer

Mean Green starts spring in 3-4 defense

11:47 PM CST on Monday, February 13, 2006

By BRETT VITO / Denton Record Chronicle

DENTON – The UNT football team opened spring practice Monday in a 3-4 defensive alignment under new coordinator Fred Bleil.

The Mean Green has run a 4-3 but is considering changing its defense after finishing last in the Sun Belt Conference and allowing 31.5 points per game.

"We have played the 3-4 some in the past and are looking at using it more," coach Darrell Dickey said. "We think it will help us get some of our better players on the field."

Briefly ...

Defensive ends Jeremiah Chapman, Willie Ransom and Tye Rexrode and offensive lineman Dylan Lineberry will miss spring practice with injuries. ... Deavin Cox has moved from defensive back to running back. ... Coffeyville (Kan.) Community College transfer Trent Stanley opened spring practice at center. He played guard for the Red Ravens last year and was a second team NJCAA All-American. ... Director of football operations Mike Barela is filling in as an assistant coach. UNT has not filled openings for a running backs or tight ends coach. Barela was the tight ends coach for two seasons at Sam Houston State before joining UNT's staff.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Indeed, Deavin Cox did letter in 2004 as a true freshman. He will be a junior in eligibility this coming season.

Deavin Cox was first team all-state in 5-A TAPPS and led Bishop Lynch to a state championship. I don't remember the number of yards gained, but I believe that it was up near the 2,000 mark. He also played defense and I think that he was 2nd team all-state as a linebacker.

Although we lost Tanner to Middle, I'd doubt that we would spend a scholarship on a running back unless it was someone truly outstanding. I believe that all of the really good ones either signed or lacked the SAT for 1-A.

Deavin Cox was first team all-state in 5-A TAPPS and led Bishop Lynch to a state championship.  I don't remember the number of yards gained, but I believe that it was up near the 2,000 mark.  He also played defense and I think that he was 2nd team all-state as a linebacker.

Cox's Senior HS stats

While he had just 1,407 yards rushing his senior year. He averaged 7.77 yards per carry. Cox averaged a TD every 6.7 time he rushed the ball. He also had 3 catches for 44 yards with a TD.

And Patrick Cobbs did his against a small classifcation in Oklahoma. And Jamario competed in Class 3A.

What's your point? A stud is a stud and let's hope Cox is a stud running back.