First positive thing to happen at NT since MTSU

stebo

I know this is the football board - just reminding everyone that there is a basketball board - and it is actually pretty busy this year. A lot more traffic then usual.

I was talking to a buddy today about the Tulsa win (basketball) and we both agreed that it was basically the first positive thing that has happened for the department since the opening weekend football win over MTSU. The other win this year (in retrospect) might have been a pretty good one as FIU turned out to be a salty club - but at the time it was very "blah"... Since then - no real positive signs... until the Tulsa win in men's b-ball... and the impressive 10-2 start by the women. I have always told the basketball crazed fans that it will take a losing season in football in order to get people out to basketball games. I just think fans have that thirst for redemption (for their school) after a crappy football season. Anyways, so far the fan base has proven me wrong - but I think a win like this could prove me right. I had ZERO interest in making the long drive from Dallas to Denton (you can get to Shreveport in less time, literally) for a game - but I will be going now. I think the team deserves the hassle for winning that game. It is the first quality win since JJ's win over SMSU... I think he might have beat TCU in his first year as well... either way, this win will stick in my head - and get this football fan out to a basketball game.

You're gonna go to a weekday bball game? ohmy.gif Is J gonna be able to make it?

Yep. smile.gif We meant to call you last night, but Jason got caught up playing Fire Emblem. I also convinced two of my coworkers to meet us there. We'll call tonight to hammer out the details.

Hey, all-

I went to graduate school at Tulsa. Believe me, they follow basketball there more than football. Their basketball team losing to us is big time annoying to them. Reynolds Arena get loud as anyplace you've ever watched a sporting event when the TU basketball team is on. Those people live and die basketball the way some here live and die football. Our win is a big loss to them.

That is exactly how I feel - I have been to a game in Tulsa and it is like going to see the Hoosiers. We are talking about a team that has been to the Sweet 16 twice in the last ten years - once all the way to the Elite/Great 8. In addition, they have at least made some sort of post-season play 9 out of the last 10 years (I think that 6 were NCAA and 3 were NIT appearances)... they have had a rough season this year, losing to SFA - a team that we beat... and at home like our game... but like Indiana, a win over them ANY season is a huge win. The same way that our win over a lackluster Baylor was huge for the football team; this was a very big win for the basketball team. Glad to see that I am not the only non-basketball fan that has sat up, taken notice, and will reqard the team and coach with an unexpected visit up to Denton at least 2 times in the next couple of weeks.

You know what, Stebo, I never attended even one UNT basketball game when I was in college. We always sucked...moreso than we did on the gridiron back then! But, as a dude who's been to both schools, a win over Tulsa in Tulsa is no gimme. Throw in that the Golden Hurricane's new coach is a guy that's spent the past five years with North Carolina and Michigan State, and that's a real big win for us.

This year, I pledge to take in some UNT hoops games. Anyone else with us?