Is basketball our saving grace?

UNTSIG

I had a good converstaion last night with an old college friend of mine and we were discussing the fact that basketball is probally the way into the spot light for North Texas. I believe in Johnny Jones, I love his style and it seems that he brings a sense of enthusiasm to our basketball program. Last year, before I moved to LA, I made it to a few of our men's basketball games and was impressed by the amount of young fan support that our team had. At each game there were at least 50-75 kids waiting after the game for autographs, which the team came out and happily obliged them with. I also think that it is easier to build a great program, more quickly in basketball. Of course, you have your powers every year, the Dukes of the world... but more so than in football, a powerful freshmen can make an immediate impact on a basketball team. Also NT doesn't have to deal with the constant "our facilities suck" in basketball. The Super Pit is a nice place to play and when that place is rocking, it is incredibly loud in there. So my question to you is...even though the focus has been on our football team the last few years, do you think that our basketball team is what will help take us to the next level?

There's no question it COULD take us to the next level. I really don't see why we can get 17,000 on a tuesday for a football game and a home bb game on a saturday only pulls 3,000. I usually go to about 5 home games a year and I have a blast. what a great atmosphere and let me tell you what, you can make a huge impact to the atmoshpere if more of us would just show up. when we had what, 5,000 for the Indiana game a couple years back. That was electric.

Again, we can create our own excitement and momentum for the program, regardless of the team's win/loss record. All we have to do is FREAKING SHOW UP! It proves to the BOR, AD, that the BB program MUST be recognized as important to the university. If nobody shows up, that ain't going to happen. cool.gif

I am all for a strong BB program, but what do you all define as "the next level?" If you mean the next level of conference membership, then I am with you. If you are talking about elevating the entire athletic department, then I disagree.

Take Duke for example. I view them as a power in basketball and don't really think about their football team except when FSU is hanging 60 on them.

I believe a strong program will draw attention to the university just like a successful FB program will. Because of that, I am all for JJ building a power. I've never understood why the administration in the past put forth the effort to build a great facility like the Super Pit and then make bad hire after bad hire for a head coach after the Blakely era. I think this is the year for JJ to produce. You can't tell me that there aren't other coaches out there that wouldn't love a chance to lead North Texas. Great facility, great location and talent upon talent in the immediate area.

Is it our saving grace? I don't think so. I would much rather see us strive for excellence in all sports and all academic areas.

Untlifer- Your argument could be used in the exact opposite way too. Do you think of USC, Nebraska, Georgia, Virgina Tech as basketball power houses because they have great football teams? I am talking about our "saving grace" as far as getting more alumni back to our university, building enthusiasm in our student base and making our programs an exciting legitimate D1 competition. Of course we need to strive for excellence in all sports and academics but as we all know, only a powerful men's football or basketball program will bring year around national exposure to our university and it's obvious that is a ways off in football.

I've thought for several years now that our basketball team was the ticket to national exposure - if we sunk our enthusiasm/support into it. It's must faster to build a basketball power than a football one AND being in TX(where FB is king at most schools) it could set us apart from the other state institutions.

Really only UT and UTEP have any real basketball tradition.

Unfortunately at North Texas, basketball is even more about "who are we playing?" than football used to be. People show for Indiana and Okla. St., but debate about NW Missouri and NC-Somewhere. Football has been helped by improved tailgating activities. What can basketball do? Basketball also includes more weekday games, fewer weekends, and more games in general, so they're not as special to the average fan. Still, I'd like to see what a good winning streak does for attendance.

I agree completely. Along with relatively weak football schools like Kentucky, Duke, and N. Carolina, who would of ever heard of schools like DePaul, Marquette, Gonzaga, Villanova, Georgetown, St. Johns, etc. if it weren't for B-Ball? Not many. Of course I would like it to happen with both major programs, but you have to take what you can get. I like what I have seen recently with recruiting. Let's hope that we can get a serious follow through.

Basketball games are an absolute blast. A powerful women's team can also help bring in alumni, but even though we had a good one a few years ago, we're not seeing the boost in attendance.

NT80 makes a good point that there are more games in basketball - especially on weeknights.

A few years ago, the athletics department got with RHA and did a few student housing nights. They created a theme and got everyone to attend the games in their theme. The turnout was actually really good. Maybe we need to do more things like that, but publicize them and make them competitions for every group on campus. We need to have some sort of "mixing" even like we do at tailgating, but I don't really think it works to tailgate before basketball games. For one, the weather is much colder, and for two when you have more weekday games there's no time. I think groups such as the Pit Crew are an excellent idea for getting people in the seats. Maybe hold contests to see which groups are loudest, or give away t-shirts or autographed basketballs to crazy fans.... just a few ideas.

Untlifer-  Your argument could be used in the exact opposite way too.  Do you think of USC, Nebraska, Georgia, Virgina Tech as basketball power houses because they have great football teams? 

I agree completely. Not so sure about the remainder of your post, but it would be fun to see if this would happen.

If attendence is based only on "who are we playing?" then I don't expect too many people to be at games this year. In my own opinion, last years basketball games were way more exciting and better games to watch than our football games. With the Belt being fairly even, any team can win on any given night.

Edit: Just need to get lucky March 3rd and win 4 straight biggrin.gif

Edited by UNTSportsGuy

What's the status of the Pit Crew this year? They had a great impact last year, and I'd hoped that they could build off of that. Now's the time to start thinking about getting that kicked into gear and get shirts made and events planned. When the season starts you could have a good sized group ready to go.

Personally I think they should send folks to the dorms and the Greek meetings to encourage participation.