Great Words From Coach Fry

Eagle-96

Some great quotes from Hayden Fry:

"It's a lot easier to turn a program around with a chucker and a catcher than with big bulls up front."

"It would be wonderful if I could be a real nice guy and get it done, but I can't."

"Next year we'll have Nebraska right where we want 'em. Off our schedule."

"I believe in treating a player like a king until he shows me he's a bum."

"I'm a salesman. I think 95 percent of coaching is selling, because you're working with people. Where I come from it's called selling the sizzle before the steak."

"Show me a coach who's a real good golfer and I will whip him in football."

"You've got to dance with the one who brung you."

Edited by Eagle-96

I liked one thing he said last night while he was in the broadcast booth. This is not an exact quote of what he said, but it was something like, "I'm glad to see that...a team needs to do that about 7 or 8 times a game." Those comments were made after the attempt to complete a long pass play to Brock Stickler.

Speaking about nice thing said about UNT....My son Brent is has caught the attention of RIVALS. They don't have his photos up yet but they will have them up in a day or so....OKPREPXTRA has story up on him called Hilldale Sleeper Ready to play......when they interviewed him he put UNT at the top of the list partly because of Charley and the great things he has said about the coaches...and partly because of the great facilities

Edited by MeanGreenPOP

Speaking about nice thing said about UNT....My son Brent is has caught the attention of RIVALS.  They don't have his photos up yet but they will have them up in a day or so....OKPREPXTRA has story up on him called Hilldale Sleeper Ready to play......when they interviewed him he put UNT at the top of the list partly because of Charley and the great things he has said about the coaches...and partly because of the great facilities

That's good to hear! biggrin.gif

Speaking about nice thing said about UNT....My son Brent is has caught the attention of RIVALS.  They don't have his photos up yet but they will have them up in a day or so....OKPREPXTRA has story up on him called Hilldale Sleeper Ready to play......when they interviewed him he put UNT at the top of the list partly because of Charley and the great things he has said about the coaches...and partly because of the great facilities

That's great!! Is your son a QB by chance???

Some great quotes from Hayden Fry:

"It's a lot easier to turn a program around with a chucker and a catcher than with big bulls up front."

"It would be wonderful if I could be a real nice guy and get it done, but I can't."

"Next year we'll have Nebraska right where we want 'em. Off our schedule."

"I believe in treating a player like a king until he shows me he's a bum."

"I'm a salesman. I think 95 percent of coaching is selling, because you're working with people. Where I come from it's called selling the sizzle before the steak."

"Show me a coach who's a real good golfer and I will whip him in football."

"You've got to dance with the one who brung you."

Coach Fry has had some great quotes in his career, but the last one you posted is credited to UT icon Darrell K. Royal.

Even in a loss, NT scored some points with Coach Hayden Fry and the ESPN2 broadcasting crew with our recently finished facilities as well as the ones on the way. It was a good night in Mean Green Country except for the score, but this is a team that can improve.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

MEANGREENPOP... thats great, but I don't see how it has anything to do with the Legendary coach Hayden Fry.

Hayden Fry had some very nice quotes about NT's new facilties. I liked hearing those quotes almost as any of the others he said listed above.

MeanGreenPop was mentioning the great facilities at NT and the fact that his sons were duly impressed with them just like Hayden Fry (& Craig James of ESPN2) were mentioning the great facilities we have completed and those that are on the way in Mean Green Country. I do believe that's where MGP was coming from on that, ipEAGLE.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I got the quote from an Iowa site deicated to Coach Fry.

Well then shame on the officials from that Iowa site for not doing some proper research. Coach Fry would tell anyone that Royal came up with that and that he probably just borrowed that phrase, but........oh well. smile.gif

Coach Royal made that quote as long ago as the 1960's and at that time, the Hawkeyes were just beginning to start a very, very long streak of losing football seasons until they hired Hayden Fry away from us in December of 1978.

I will never forget laying in bed at a Walnut Hill Lane condo in Irving on that cold 1978 December Saturday morning when KRLD sports announced that Coach Fry would be leaving NT for Iowa. An extreme feeling of dread for NT's football future came upon me that minute and oh if I had only known what the next (almost) 3 decades would bring our way after Fry left Denton sad.gif

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen