Hey! We Outdrew The Plains Capital Ft. Worth Bowl

PlummMeanGreen

Not near enough positives tonight, but the crowd size at Fouts pleasantly surprised many of us for a weeknight game in the Metroplex. We had so many of our out-of-town NT fans/alums who were not able to even be at this game due to distance and the time of the week.

Hate to use the "R" word, folks, but in 2005 we are going to be in "R"ebuilding mode for this team that has run out of its experienced line of talent that took us to 4 bowl games. FWIW, I've heard this has actually happened at other NCAA D1-A schools from time to time. Cannot completely substantiate that, but I will do some further checking on that theory. blink.gif

If "IF's and "BUT's" Were Candy & Nuts We'd all Have a Merry Christamas?

blink.gifunsure.gifwink.gif As I watch the replay now, ESPN's Dave Barnett said in one play that Jamario had the ball that he believed JaMo' is still having hammy' problems when he described one play tonight as one that would have gone ALL THE WAY last year. I concur with NT grad and ESPN play by play guy Dave Barnett on that statement.

ESPN color commentator Craig James seems to be sniffing out some Mean Green offensive line problems, too, as I watch the replay. Ex SMU great Craig James and his family live in Mean Green Country,ie, Celina, Texas. Craig James also said the Troy U "D" was cat quick (which seems to be the kind of defenses that keep our running game in check, ie, USM in the bowl game last December).

** One of those BIG "Ifs" starts with T.J. "Big Cat" Raymond who was to be our main stopper in the DL this year; well he wasn't playing tonight as we all very well know, his grades last summer became his stopper. Hope he is getting those in check this semester. Big Cat was to be our new Booger Kennedy. What kind of defense would we have had w/o Booger Kennedy during those years? blink.gif

** We lost who was projected to be our starting QB to grades last summer, too, although watching the replay of our game as I post, Meager still showed promise and bright spots tonight, especially toward the end of the game where he raised it to a completely different level than what we've seen before.

SMU Ex/ESPN Color Commentator Craig James on our nationally televised game threw some very nice bouquets of roses toward UNT for our new Mean Green Athletic Village at Eagle Point Campus. Apparently, C. James and Dave Barnett had a tour of our 200 acres of construction today. Craig James, the ex SMU Mustang called NT's present/future facilities (including our future new stadium), uh, "top shelf!" rolleyes.gif Coach Fry added that they are and would be as good as anyone in the country.

FOLKS, WHAT WE ARE MISSING THIS YEAR ARE THOSE LONG RUNS FROM SCRIMMAGE FOR TD's FROM COBBS OR THOMAS. I am too much of a novice to understand why we have lost that part of our offense, but that was most of our offense last year, so we can't start completely playing the blame game until we get that part of our offense back. In fact, if we had it back, don't we probably win this game tonight? sad.gif

The NT offensive line? I am at a complete loss of words to understand what has happened there, but our QB's and RB's are sure having to improvise a bit more than they should because opponent's defenses are on top of them way too much before they get a chance to do their thing.

Whatever the case, we ALL must try to find things for this (basically in so many areas) young team to build on. Granted, we are all a most impatient group and the last 4 year's successes has raised all of our expections. wink.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

ESPN color commentator Craig James seems to be sniffing out some Mean Green offensive line problems, too, as I watch the replay. 

Have you gotten to the part yet where Craig James suggests that we suit up a flag football QB (that was playing intramurals) and let him replace Meager in the starting line-up?? It was at the start of the 4th quarter. Classic Craig James...maybe it will help us recruit a QB for next year. What high school QB wouldn't look at tonight's game and think he could step into the starting role immediately?? In fact, what flag football QB wouldn't think that?? unsure.gif

Edited by gangrene

Have you gotten to the part yet where Craig James suggests that we suit up a flag football QB (that was playing intramurals) and let him replace Meager in the starting line-up??  It was at the start of the 4th quarter.  Classic Craig James...maybe it will help us recruit a QB for next year.  What high school QB wouldn't look at tonight's game and think he could step into the starting role immediately??  In fact, what flag football QB wouldn't think that?? unsure.gif

Haven't gotten to that part of the replay. smile.gif

I think I'll stick with Craig James praising our present and future facilities at the new Mean Green Athletic Village. Good recruiting fodder with that, eh, and on, uh, videotape? rolleyes.gif

Sorry, folks, but its going to be a rebuilding year with a whole bunch of new Mean Green players gettting some playing experience. huh.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Whatever the case, we ALL must try to find things for this (basically in so many areas) young team to build on.  Granted, we are all a most impatient group and the last 4 year's successes has raised all of our expections. wink.gif

Here are the positives I saw tonight:

The concession prices were cheap and there was plenty of room in the endzone to serve as a table for my food and drink.

Hayden Fry made a few comments that lead me to believe he could still be a winning coach at UNT.

The tailgating smelled excellent...too bad I arrived too late to enjoy any.

The uniforms looked good until the players sweat caused the colors to no longer match.

The weather was nice.

The PA speakers sounded awesome.

The ESPN shot of our green-lighted fountain in front of the Administration building looked cool.

Nobody decided to commit suicide with a homemade bomb.

Our coaches never yelled, raised their voices at our players or otherwise exhibited emotional distress for making silly penalties...wait...IS that a good thing???

Here are the positives I saw tonight:

The concession prices were cheap and there was plenty of room in the endzone to serve as a table for my food and drink.

Hayden Fry made a few comments that lead me to believe he could still be a winning coach at UNT.

The tailgating smelled excellent...too bad I arrived too late to enjoy any.

The uniforms looked good until the players sweat caused the colors to no longer match.

The weather was nice.

The PA speakers sounded awesome.

The ESPN shot of our green-lighted fountain in front of the Administration building looked cool.

Nobody decided to commit suicide with a homemade bomb.

Our coaches never yelled, raised their voices at our players or otherwise exhibited emotional distress for making silly penalties...wait...IS that a good thing???

There are few things we have control of at NT from its business, academic and athletic operations and is one reason I now refuse to stay down after a loss. Didn't always used to be that way for me as a few of you would know. If any of us each gave NT $1 million, they might listen to us for a few minutes and pat us on the back for the gift$, but the powers that be are still going to do what they are going to do at a large public university such as NORTH TEXAS.

We can all fret about the past or we can get back to our future which is where all the good times and the fun in Mean Green Country will once again be.

I know, ol' Pollyanna talkin' here once again, but my hypertension will not allow me to get all worked up about something a loss or a negative post by me would ever change.

We are all concerned about our school when things are not going as we know they have been (and will again). We're rebuilding this Mean Green football team, folks, and nothing we post on GoMeanGreen.com is going to change that fact and reality. Lets do our part as fans at most NCAA D1-A school's do and still support our alma mater's football team and the program (in general) because the alternative of not doing that is something none of us would reallly ever want or have a part.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen