Do you support a change in Offensive Phlosophy?

FirefightnRick

I'm not asking for a coaching change, just a change in mindset that we pride ourselves on going out and playing not only for conference championships but for wins with any team. Without a top ten defense the field position game does not work. No one but NT has won a conference championship in the last so many years with our style of offense. And our OOC record speaks for what would happen to us if we were in a different conference.

This is an entertainment business. I would like to see a change in philosophy.

Thoughts?

Rick

I voted Yes.

But I'm not unhappy running the ball (if it's for positive yards)

Offense puts asses in the seats, but DEFENSE wins championships!

Right now, I'd settle for a change in defensive philosophy.

Look what the progressive teams are going for: High powered offense that keeps the defense off the field. Did you see Michigan States game today? No 3 and out for them.

The style of play on offense continues to change as defenses catch up with them. Remember the olde single wing? The straight T? The Veer?

We don't have the players to successfully run the inside dives and running 80% of the time. The present situation is a product of "old" thinking. Nowadays defense linebackers are as fast as running backs.

When we gonna into the 21st Century!

dry.gif

I don't care what we run as long as we win.

I supported the Oilers in the Run and Shoot days, I supported the Mean Green during the 9 passes a game day.

However, the current system isn't working.

People have figured out that run blitzing the middle of the zone blocking system we use takes away the advantages it gives us, and in fact totally gums up the works.

I don't care if the plan changes to 50 passes a game, or to 0 passes a game, just make some adjustments to get the offense back on track.

Look at it this way.

If we are going to produce this poorly on offense after having to replace basically three positions, the Center, the Tightend and the QB, then we have peaked as far as we will ever go with this system because we will ALWAYS HAVE POSITIONS TO REPLACE. All teams go through this.

We have 4 O linemen that have 40 starts under their belts. We have one of the two tightends back. We have all our recievers back and we get something very few teams ever get, we have the last two top backs return to share the same backfield.

I'd understand two losses where we get outscored. But our offense is very, very poor right now. Something must change.

Rick

One thing to consider in all this "Dickey bashing" -- not necessarily going on w/this post, but you know what I mean.

And that thing is:

* did you like the front cover story on the USA Today?

* did you like the 5 page spread in ESPN's magazine?

* do you like the positive press in SI, CBS.Sportsline, etc?

That's one thing we can ALL agree on! It was great for the university & exposed a lot of people to our school. Why all the pub? Because we have back-to-back NCAA rushing champs returning! Has that ever been done?? NO! Now, how exactly did North Texas achieve this awesome accomplishment? "Dickey-ball"!!! No Dickey-ball, no national publicity.

All I know is I've seen more national pub about North Texas in the last 3-4 months than I've seen combined since '88 when I stepped on campus. (Maybe that's a tad of an overstatement but you know what I mean).

Thus, that's why I voted no change in philosophy. It's been proven this'll work itself out.

I want a game plan that will give the team the oppertunity to succeed. I do not think running dive/draw plays right into the middle of a run blitz does this...especially when it is play after play.

Put a game plan that works out there and I am for it...boring or not. What they are doing now doesn't work.