Well, this will be odd

stebo

Well, this will be odd - but I will be defending Dickey this year. Especially since I like his new post game radio talk. He was positive about the crowd, he was negative about the game, and he went on to say that he would find out who could deal with a loss this week and who would be a doubter (on the team) and he would GET RID OF ALL THE DOUBTERS (players). Best post game he has ever had.

As for the game, it just snowballed on us. Those things happen. I am questioning the running back rotation now. I think that their two different styles call for two different OL's... and we barely have one. Pick a horse for each game and let 'em run. Alternate games, not series maybe.

Well, this will be odd - but I will be defending Dickey this year.  Especially since I like his new post game radio talk.  He was positive about the crowd, he was negative about the game, and he went on to say that he would find out who could deal with a loss this week and who would be a doubter (on the team) and he would GET RID OF ALL THE DOUBTERS (players).  Best post game he has ever had.

As for the game, it just snowballed on us.  Those things happen.  I am questioning the running back rotation now.  I think that their two different styles call for two different OL's... and we barely have one.  Pick a horse for each game and let 'em run.  Alternate games, not series maybe.

They have picked a horse....Cobbs. Thomas has had 17 carries in 2 games.

Well, this will be odd - but I will be defending Dickey this year.  Especially since I like his new post game radio talk.  He was positive about the crowd, he was negative about the game, and he went on to say that he would find out who could deal with a loss this week and who would be a doubter (on the team) and he would GET RID OF ALL THE DOUBTERS (players).  Best post game he has ever had.

As for the game, it just snowballed on us.  Those things happen.  I am questioning the running back rotation now.  I think that their two different styles call for two different OL's... and we barely have one.  Pick a horse for each game and let 'em run.  Alternate games, not series maybe.

I am glad to hear that. I did not hear the post game show, but my biggest concern about Dickey has always been his negative sounding comments about the school. I am fine if he has some specific ideas for improving, but the very general, derogatory comments of the past were not helpful. Hopefully that is in the past.

Darrell Dickey is not the problem here, guys... he is the solution. Ramon Flannigan is the problem. I know this "run, run, run" crap works against belt teams, and probably will again this year. Darrell Dickey needs to start calling more plays and taking control. We love Patrick Cobbs...no question. But for God's sakes please play Jamario Thomas. The offense now resembles the Galbreath/Cobbs backfield in 02, but Cobbs got more carries that year than J-Mo is getting? I trust DD to fix that this week. DD is a winner, and will fix this. The season is still early, and this happens every year. We get clown out by a OOC team, and then DD works his magic in Sunbelt play. Our issues for the long haul are simple: we want to move into C-USA, and cannot do that getting beat by a C-USA team by 50 AND playing them in a nicely-turfed high school stadium?

Stebo is right on the money here... Dickey bashing is not productive or warranted. IF you want a head, take Flannigans. The offensive gameplan and calls come from the Flannigan "Hall of Shame". Trust in Darrell Dickey because he has shown his metal.

I'll back that any day.

GMG!!!

Well, I don't know if we should be bashing anyone. What I saw on Saturday disgusted me... indeed... but it could have been MUCH worse. I could have been sitting in a half empty stadium talking with my buddies how to awaken the sleeping giant again. The sleeping giant was very much awake this week. Playing a regional team at home with a 1-0 record and they show up! I was like, "Hell, where did all these people come from?" Where have they been? And it wasn't just students - although they have redeemed themselves temporarily in my eyes - it was the alumni as well. Imagine how terrible you would be feeling if you had shown up Saturday and there were only 15K people there. I would be crushed. It was not conflicting with any other games of interest. The weather was PERFECT. The time was just about right. The records was 1-0. There were like 20 camera guys on the sidelines, the most I have ever seen at a North Texas game.

So, I thank DD and RV for giving that to me. RV for scheduling the game and DD for winning last week to get enough hype about the game in order to semi-fill the rickety old stadium that I love. I was once again reminded just how great Fouts is to watch a game in when it is full. Not once did I have trouble seeing the action. I felt like I was at a real college football game. And finally, despite the score - my school showed me that they could pull off a pretty big game with minor errors. I had to freaking park at the RADDISON in order to find a space for crying out loud! My buddy got to the game an hour ahead of time and the closest space he could fins was Krumley Hall! Walking across the highway while Harry was having to tell me the first couple of plays over the phone was surreal. Something I have never experienced in coming to a game at Fouts... walking about 2 miles (roundtrip) to get to and from my car!

So I will lay off Dickey, the game snowballed on him. We all know that Tulsa is not 53 points better than us. We all know it and so does the coaching staff. The doubters - as Dickey called them - will show their true colors of yellow this week and we will get rid of them. I am not going to be one of the doubters this year. As Dickey has FINALLY embraced the fans, I will finally embrace Dickey. At least for this week - laugh.gifdry.gif

"Darrell Dickey is not the problem here, guys... he is the solution. Ramon Flannigan is the problem. I know this "run, run, run" crap works against belt teams, and probably will again this year. Darrell Dickey needs to start calling more plays and taking control.

Stebo is right on the money here... Dickey bashing is not productive or warranted. IF you want a head, take Flannigans. The offensive gameplan and calls come from the Flannigan "Hall of Shame".  Trust in Darrell Dickey because he has shown his metal. "

Bravo Medpilot....You hit the nail right on the head!

Edited by GDMG

I still don't think DD gets a free ride on this and RF gets the blame. Doesn't Flanigan work for DD? Isn't DD the Head Coach and responsible for the product he puts on the field? You don't think DD is involved in the game planning? You mean to tell me that DD just goes along with everything RF does, no questions asked?

Come on. DD is the Head Coach and this team runs his system.

Just curious how you liked that run, run, run CRAP the last 2 years...Hard to rely on your QB who has .5 seconds to complete as pass. We will have to continue to do this run, run, run crap for the remainder of the year so we can atleast establish some sort of offense...and if nothing else kill some time so the defense can atleast rest.

Guest JohnDenver

Just curious how you liked that run, run, run CRAP the last 2 years...Hard to rely on your QB who has .5 seconds to complete as pass.  We will have to continue to do this run, run, run crap for the remainder of the year so we can atleast establish some sort of offense...and if nothing else kill some time so the defense can atleast rest.

Were you counting how many seconds Meager really had? Were you really? I counted 5+ seconds on most of his sacks. Some of them were inevitable with the young line, but damn, when someone catches you from behind ... it is indecision or inability (due to injury).

Hank and George were talking a lot about this on the radio. Basically, a QB has to have time to develop "eyes" in the back of his head to know when a defender is barreling down on him. I imagine that Danny was also trying to pull a Scott Hall and force some things... it is just that Scott had experience before he was allowed to do that knid of thing. Speaking of Hall, I saw him at the game (along with a BUNCH of older players like Andy Blount and the lot)... he is going with the shaved head with goatee approach now, lol... As we were walking by we told him to suit up and get out there and he laughed pretty hard. I get the feeling that people will finally see how great Scott was for our program over the next two-three years. Before Scott we had a lot of this type of inconsistent play from Mills, Bridges, and the like.

I still say that Meager is the starter. You have to pick a guy and hope for the best. Right about now, we need a field general to step up.. someone that will get in the faces of their teammates and demand their attention. If Phillips turns out to be the guy that does that, then I will pass my vote over to him. Otherwise we are best off dancing with the QB that is 1-1 with a win under his "Belt".

Our line is not young....we have 4 out of 5 guys who played a lot last yr (last yr: brown started the first half of the season, lineberry started, foster was always in the mix, may was a starter the yr before). The only guy that I believe is really hurting us is our freshman center. We have Cobbs, JMO, Mitchell, and Quinn back... our offense should be A LOT better than what it is now.

Were you counting how many seconds Meager really had? Were you really? I counted 5+ seconds on most of his sacks. Some of them were inevitable with the young line, but damn, when someone catches you from behind ... it is indecision or inability (due to injury).

JD, you are right. Pass blocking wasn't the problem. DD said as much in his post game press conference.

1. I think it stems from the fact that Meager is making bad, as well as slow, reads and when he decides it's time to run, it is too late.

2. They were bringing guys off the corners all night long to tighten the pocket and keep Meager from getting outside. We need to do a better job of picking these blitz packages up.

3. Meager CANNOT throw the ball downfield right now. I can't say for sure but it looks like he is either still having shoulder problems or he is not confident in his arm strength but he is not getting it done. Quinn caught a ball that should have been picked off against MUTS. Three Tulsa defenders could have picked off the same play to Quinn on Saturday. He is throwing dead ducks past 15 yards.

4. I am tired of the WR screen, the quick 2 step out, the Swing pass, Screen pass to the rb for 5 yard loss. If Meager can't throw downfied get someone in there that can.

Edited by Eagle-96

Our line is not young....we have 4 out of 5 guys who played a lot last yr (last yr: brown started the first half of the season, lineberry started, foster was always in the mix, may was a starter the yr before).  The only guy that I believe is really hurting us is our freshman center.  We have Cobbs, JMO, Mitchell, and Quinn back... our offense should be A LOT better than what it is now.

Did you watch the same game I did? The O-Line was OWNED ALL NIGHT LONG. They looked like a High School JV team. I have a hard time beating on Meager with a line that looks this bad.

Did you watch the same game I did?  The O-Line was OWNED ALL NIGHT LONG.  They looked like a High School JV team.  I have a hard time beating on Meager with a line that looks this bad.

5 guys can't block 9 even if you use the new math. Their linebackers blitzed on every other play. This is the same thing we have been seeing since USM last season and we have yet to make adjustments. It's the same old thing. The receivers should recognize the blitz and switch to the hot route to bail their quarterback out.

Edited by Eagle-96