An open letter to Ethan Szatmary

Baby Arm!

Mr. Szatmary,

So you and your colleges on the sports staff have dubbed GoMeanGreen.com "the idiot board", I can only assume that is because that is the opinion you and your colleges hold of the posters on that message board.

Just wondering why you consider them to be idiots?

Is it because they have a passion for the sports teams of their Alma mater rather than adopt an allegiance to some overgrown semi-pro BCS team? Is it because they spend so much time debating, worrying, hoping about the success of the Mean Green? Just what makes these people idiots in your eyes Mr. Szatmary?

Now I will be the first to admit that not every posting on that message board could be held up as admirable example of literary discourse. The board may not provide the keen insight into the X's & O's that the DRC sports pages gives. These aren't professional sportswriters after all. It would be hard for them to live up the high standard of sports journalism of you and your brethren.

Most of these people never strapped on the pads and played football at any level. Some may find it difficult to discuss the intricacies of the 3-4 defense. There are posters with varying levels of sports knowledge. But that doesn't make any of them idiots.

Maybe they do spend too much time discussing what shade of green the uniforms are or what logo will be on the side of the helmets. None of that really make a difference in whether the team will win or lose, but these are fans. It's a fan board. Minute details like that may seem idiotic to the professional media, but for people who have a passion for all things Mean Green...you know FANS. Things like that are important to fans. I guess in your eyes that makes them idiots for caring.

Actions speak loader than words. Maybe it's the actions of these GoMeanGreen.com posters that you find so idiotic.

Actions like that of FireFightinRick, the screen name of a guy that makes a living going into burning buildings when everybody else is running out of them. A guy that does something that dangerous for a living must be an idiot...right?

Rick, along with several volunteers from GM.com spent time and money to host a barbecue for coaches, players, and staff to show appreciation for their efforts. Rick coordinated the event and spent 3 days smoking hundreds of pounds of brisket. Along with other volunteers that provided food for the event, and served and cleaned up after wards. Anybody that does that much work just for a "thank you" must be an idiot...right?

How about the actions of the group of Greenbackers that traveled all the way to Middle Tennessee with smoker in tow to tailgate and cheer the Mean Green to their twenty sixth consecutive conference victory? These are people that are also planning on road trips to Manhattan KS, and Ruston LA later in the season too. Anybody that drives that far when gas is hovering around $3.00/gallon must be an idiot....right?

Check out the "idiot board" lately. You'll see posting coordinating the efforts and extreme amount of work to host Greenbacker tailgate parties. Tailgate parties that are no small affair. Where literally EVERYONE is invited. The Greenbackers feed the fans, the marching band, opposing fans, players families, students, and yes even the media. Anybody that goes to those kind of lengths of hospitality must be an idiot....right?

These "idiots" are also the people that give to the Mean Green Club, buy season tickets, and travel to cheer the Mean Green. These are some of the most genuine, welcoming, and cordial people I have ever met. These are good people and don't' deserve to be called idiots by you and your ilk.

Shame on you Mr. Szatmary, SHAME ON YOU

Edited by Baby Arm!

The only thing that I would add is this.

I've watched North Texas football (off and on) since the mid-60's and I have NEVER seen fan interest this great....except for possiblly the Hayden Fry era. But even during the Hayden Fry era, there was no unaffiliated group like the Greenbackers, or a forum like "gomeangreen". The Greenbackers is not a clique, it's open to ANYONE who is passionate about North Texas sports. In all the years that I've watched North Texas football we've NEVER had anything like that.

I've watched North Texas football during the dark days when the general attitude on campus was that "being a fan isn't cool". The worst part of that era was when the students had a vote on whether or not to keep North Texas football at all.

Thank God (or whatever entity you pray to) those days are OVER. I will NEVER want to go back to what we had before.......which was practically NOTHING.

If that's being an idiot, then hand me that dunce cap......with a North Texas logo on it of course.

Edited by SilverEagle

Please don't take it personally that I am about to correct a few things in your post.... I'm a writer, and before you send it off, you might want to make these corrections. Changes in bold.

Overall, excellent letter! Very well thought out, well stated arguments with great punch. Let's go get this guy. mad.gif

(I know, I know, I'm a Grammar Nazi... tongue.gif )

Mr. Szatmary,

You and your colleagues on the sports staff have dubbed GoMeanGreen.com "the idiot board;"  I can only assume that is because that is the opinion you and your colleagues hold of the posters on that message board. 

Just wondering why you consider them to be idiots?

Is it because they have a passion for the sports teams of their Alma mater rather than adopt an allegiance to some overgrown semi-pro BCS team?  Is it because they spend so much time debating, worrying, hoping about the success of the Mean Green?  Just what makes these people idiots in your eyes, Mr. Szatmary?

Now I will be the first to admit that not every posting on that message board could be held up as an admirable example of literary discourse.  The board may not provide the keen insight into the X's & O's that the DRC sports pages gives.  These aren't professional sportswriters after all.  It would be hard for them to live up the high standard of sports journalism of you and your brethren.

Most of these people never strapped on the pads and played football at any level.  Some may find it difficult to discuss the intricacies of the 3-4 defense.  There are posters with varying levels of sports knowledge.  But that doesn't make any of them idiots. 

Maybe they do spend too much time discussing what shade of green the uniforms are or what logo will be on the side of the helmets.  None of that really make a difference in whether the team will win or lose,  but these are fans.  It's a fan board.  Minute details like that may seem idiotic to the professional media,  but for people who have a passion for all things Mean Green (you know  FANS) things like that are important to fans.  I guess in your eyes that makes them idiots for caring. 

Actions speak loader than words.  So maybe it's the actions of these GoMeanGreen.com posters that you find so idiotic. 

Actions like that of FireFightinRick,  the screen name of a guy who makes a living going into burning buildings when everybody else is running out of them.  A guy who does something that dangerous for a living must be an idiot...right? 

Rick, along with several volunteers from GM.com spent time and money to host a barbecue for coaches, players, and staff to show appreciation for their efforts.  Rick coordinated the event and spent 3 days smoking hundreds of pounds of brisket.  Other volunteers provided food for the event and served and cleaned up afterwards.  Anybody who does that much work just for a "thank you" must be an idiot...right? 

How about the actions of the group of Greenbackers that traveled all the way to Middle Tennessee with smoker in tow to tailgate and cheer the Mean Green to their twenty sixth consecutive conference victory?  These are people whoare also planning on road trips to Manhattan KS, and Ruston LA later in the season too.  Anybody who drives that far when gas is hovering around $3.00/gallon must be an idiot....right?

Check out the "idiot board" lately.  You'll see posting coordinating the efforts and extreme amount of work to host Greenbacker tailgate parties.  Tailgate parties that are no small affair, where literally EVERYONE is invited.  The Greenbackers feed the fans, the marching band,  opposing fans,  players families,  students,  and yes even the media.    Anybody who goes to those kind of lengths of hospitality must be an idiot....right?

These "idiots" are also the people who give to the Mean Green Club,  buy season tickets, and travel to cheer the Mean Green.  These are some of the most genuine, welcoming,  and cordial people I have ever met.  These are good people and don't' deserve to be called idiots by you and your ilk. 

Shame on you Mr. Szatmary,    SHAME ON YOU

Guest JohnDenver

I would add to the letter that Ditto Vito doesn't even walk the sideline during games. He comes down at the end to show his mug. He makes blatant errors left and right ... as an example read his article on Saturday:

99-yard interception return bails UNT out

UNT defensive end Jeremiah Chapman recovered a fumble by Marks at the MTSU 46-yard line in the third quarter. Redshirt freshman quarterback Daniel Meager threw a 42-yard pass to wide receiver Johnny Quinn on the next play to set up a 4-yard touchdown run by Patrick Cobbs that gave UNT a 14-0 lead.

Oh noez. When did we ever have a 14-0 lead? blink.gifbiggrin.gif

Must be that all their sports writers are idiots.

Guest JohnDenver

GoMeanGreen.com got two reporters to the game to walk the sidelines, take pictures and have write-ups.

NT Daily had ZERO. DRC had one -- and he didn't even report the game correctly.