Previewing The North Texas Offense

MeanGreen61

September 7, 2005

Double trouble from North Texas

Cody Gibson

GoMiddle.com Staff Writer

Most people say that the best player on the field is usually the running back. He can control the tempo and the pace of a game and change the game on one play. However, "special" running backs like these are hard to find, unless you look in the North Texas backfield.

user posted image

Jamario Thomas

Patrick Cobbs and Jamario Thomas spearhead an offense that looks to chew up more yards on the ground

than any team in the NCAA. However, with such a huge question at QB, will the Mean Green be able to fuel the machine?

Quarterbacks

The position that was last decided in fall camp was quarterback. Replacing

solid starter Scott Hall will not be an easy task. Daniel Meager takes over

and he is in the same mold as Hall. A very, mobile quarterback who can throw deep passes when needed. Meager had a shoulder injury in the spring, but looks to be over it now as he takes the starting job. Matt Phillips appears to have the backup job and he was a highly touted recruit out of Texas as well. Look for MT to test Meager early, with blitzes and crowding

the line.

Running Backs

Jamario Thomas and Patrick Cobbs are the two best running backs Middle Tennessee will face this season. One problem-they both play for the same team. Thomas who last year ran for over 1,800 yards and averaged an astonishing 180.1 yards a game. Thomas is the home run threat and he more than likely will be the starter. Cobbs is not far behind, in 2002 he led

the nation in rushing as well and averaged 153 yards a game. Either way both will be toting the rock a number of times on Saturday. These two players will decide the game. If MT can contain them, a victory could be in the cards for the Blue Raiders. On the other hand, if not, Middle Tennessee could be in for a long day.

user posted image

Patrick Cobbs

Offensive Line

The foundation of the Mean Green rushing attack should be in good shape again this season, with Sun Belt Newcomer of the Year Dylan Lineberry paving the way. The guard dominated at times and should be a force for years to come. The other star on the line is Joel Foster, who is a strong tackle and figures to get better after converting from defensive end last season.

Jason May and Chad Rose take over at the guard and center spot respectively.

May looks to improve this season after starting nine games last year. Rose will have to step in for departed senior Andy Brewster. Rounding out the line is Jeremy Brown, who had an illness that limited him to only four games last year. Josh Alexander, Adam Vegas, and Ephraim Patterson will also see action and provide depth on a strong offensive line.

Wide Receivers/Tight Ends

One of the more underrated receivers in the Sun Belt resides in Denton, Texas. Johnny Quinn is the best receiver North Texas has had in quite some time. Quinn is a force that has caught a pass in 25 straight games. Last season he caught 49 passes for 9 touchdowns and figures again to be the

focal point of the North Texas passing attack. Zach Muzzy figures to step in as the other starter and is a deep threat that could be utilized by Meager for some long gains. Joel Nwigwe and Brandon Jackson also figure to see time, but shouldn't factor into many games. At tight end, Beau Davidson and Robert Harmon will continue the tradition started by Andy Blount as a

double threat tight end. Harmon and Davidson are both strong blockers and will mostly be used in this role with the running game being the centerpiece

of the North Texas Offense.

The Mean Green offense looks strong, with a few questions on the offensive line. This will be a tough task for Middle Tennessee. Tomorrow we will examine the North Texas defense.

http://middletennessee.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=452048

September 7, 2005

Double trouble from North Texas

Wide Receivers/Tight Ends

One of the more underrated receivers in the Sun Belt resides in Denton, Texas. Johnny Quinn is the best receiver North Texas has had in quite some time. Quinn is a force that has caught a pass in 25 straight games. Last season he caught 49 passes for 9 touchdowns and figures again to be the

focal point of the North Texas passing attack. Zach Muzzy figures to step in as the other starter and is a deep threat that could be utilized by Meager for some long gains. Joel Nwigwe and Brandon Jackson also figure to see time, but shouldn't factor into many games. 

http://middletennessee.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=452048

Good article. He has most of it right. Muzzy will probably be the guy who gets us first downs.. Quinn and Joel Nwigwe will be the home-run hitters. I cant believe the Blue Raiders dont remember the last game Nwigwe played there? I would say he was a "FACTOR" in that game. I agree that the offense will set the tone for this one, but I have a few worries about the middle of our defensive secondary. I do feel better with Weathers back there. The running NT running backs will decide the outcome. If MTSU can find a way to stop them, then we have a long day. I just dont see how they do it? We will know soon enough...

Either way, it's great to be getting so much press. I've seen more pre-season predictions and Jamario Thomas articles this season than any other I can remember. I wonder what the actual spread will be on this game? Should be a fight to the last few seconds. (but I'm hoping for a blowout)

GMG!!!