DRC Vitto's full article on Stedman's hiring

OldTimer

Basketball: Jones adds Steadman to his staff

Mean Green mens hoops hires new assistant coach

08:08 AM CDT on Saturday, June 25, 2005

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

North Texas men’s basketball coach Johnny Jones added Jai Steadman to his staff this week.

Steadman, a former assistant coach at McNeese State, will replace Kobie Baker, who left to go into private business.

“I came close to hiring coach Steadman two years ago,” Jones said. “There was no reason I didn’t the first time, I just chose to go with Kobie. When I had a second chance to hire Jai, there was no reason not to. He is very well connected in Dallas and Houston and has coached on the junior college level. He has a lot of contacts that will be very beneficial in recruiting.”

Steadman served as an assistant coach at TCU and Tyler Junior College early in his career and also has experience in the professional ranks. He worked as an assistant with the Michigan Mayhem of the CBA and also served as a head coach in Europe.

Steadman is expected to help fill the void left by Baker, who made an impact by helping land some of the top recruits in UNT’s last two classes. Baker was the assistant in charge of recruiting Harold Stewart and Harold Edwards, a pair of forwards who anchored the Mean Green’s 2005 class.

Edwards was a first-team all-state selection for LeFlore in Mobile, Ala. Texashoops.com rated Stewart, who played for Crowley, as one of the top 50 recruits in the state last season.

“I talked to Kobie a while ago about him leaving the staff,” Edwards said. “I am still excited about coming to North Texas. I will be there in July.”

Jones said he hated to lose Baker, but the change in his staff came at a good time. UNT’s coaches are about to head out to evaluate players at summer tournaments in the next few weeks.

“Jai has been on the recruiting trail the last few months,” Jones said. “He will be here in time to help us recruit this summer.”

UNT athletics to stay on KWRD

The North Texas athletic department has extended its agreement with KWRD-FM 100.7 to broadcast all of the school’s football and men’s basketball games.

KWRD-FM is entering its fourth year as the flagship station of Mean Green athletics. The new contract will run through the 2007-08 school year.

KNTU-FM 88.1 will continue to carry the UNT football and women’s basketball team’s games.

George Dunham has committed to return for his 17th season as the play-by-play voice for the UNT football and men’s basketball teams. UNT senior associate athletic director Hank Dickenson will join Dunham for his 10th season as the color commentator for UNT football and men’s basketball broadcasts.

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mail address is bvito@dentonrc.com