Conference Info

good_ken

Sun Belt Sides With Sirius Satellite Radio

Sirius to broadcast selected men's basketball games

January 3rd, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEW ORLEANS - The Sun Belt Conference and the Collegiate Conference Group, a collection of 11 Division I conferences, has announced a multi-year agreement with Sirius Satellite Radio to broadcast selected regular-season and conference tournament men’s basketball games.

According to the contract, Sirius will air a number of Sun Belt men’s basketball games by using the broadcast feed from one or both of the competing schools’ radio network.

“Schools in these conferences boast some of the most passionate college basketball fans in the nation,” said Steve Cohen, Sirius Vice President of Sports Programming. “With this expansion, Sirius provides fans throughout the country with the most college hoops on radio.”

“Being a part of this deal with Sirius is a key to gaining more exposure for the league,” said Sun Belt Associate Commissioner Jim Carabin. “We are trying to stay ahead of the curve of advancing technology and this is a great way for Sun Belt fans and alumni to be able to listen to games from anywhere in the country.”

The partnership with the 11 conferences — when added to Sirius’ existing rights to broadcast top ranked teams that include Syracuse, Kentucky and Kansas — enables Sirius subscribers to hear the most Division I college basketball broadcasts on satellite radio, including 240 games in January.

In March, 2005, Sirius will carry live play-by-play radio broadcasts of every game of the NCAA Division I men’s basketball championship. All games from every round will be offered to Sirius subscribers in their entirety, with no blackouts and at no extra charge over the basic monthly subscription price of $12.95.

Tentative January Schedule

4 - Denver at Wyoming, 9pm ET, channel 111

13 - North Texas at Denver, 9pm ET, channel 112

20 - Arkansas State at Denver, 9pm ET, channel 102

22 - Arkansas-Little Rock at Denver, 9pm ET, channel 110

27 - Denver at South Alabama, 8pm ET, channel 181

Another good reason to go to Sirius Radio. W/in the next 2 years Howard Stern goes to Sirius too (for those of you who listen to him).

So between SBC games, Stern, and NFL, Sirius is gaining ground on XM. Now if Russ Martin can go with Sirius, I will DEFINATELY buy a system.

Russ is looking at XM after his contract runs out.

I have missed the RMS because of my work schedule. sad.gif

I think he knows better, because like Stern, he doesn't like Clear Channel. And Clear Channel has a pretty large chunk invested into XM. That was my reasoning for automatically going to Sirius rather than XM.