Zook vs. DD

shaft

It was asked who would you rather have. Someone said neither, they asked who then. Just because someone coaches a big name school, doesn't mean they can take us to the next level. Look at Mack Brown. How did we have a horrible offseason, didn't we sign Jamario? I DD's OOC record may seem like a circular logic (?)but its a valid argument. And even if we did have a bad offseason, that is still no excuse for what happened during OOC play. And I don't think anyone who is a reliable poster on here has actually "bashed" Dickey. And just why do people talk about DeLoach, its cause he was the defensive coordinator here when we started improving, and he was the guy who had our defense nationally ranked.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How did we have a horrible offseason, didn't we sign Jamario?

Lets start with (in no particular order):

1. The death of Drew Smith

2. The loss of Branch & Nwigwe to grades and off the field problems.

3. The loss of Cobbs to injury

4. The graduation of six of the best players to play at NT.

5. The loss of two key coaches.

Yes, we did sign Jamario, but that only negates No. 3.

I don't think we have the all around players, or depth to compete at the "Next Level"

The fact is that this team has not been competitive consistantly with Big 12 teams over the last few years. Yes, we beat Baylor when they were at their worst, but when you consider that we were shut out by Texas two years ago, weren't even close with OU, and lost to Baylor, Colorado, and Texas this year shows that we don't have the depth to compete for 4 quarters. I think it will take at least 10 years to get to that next level, and the first probably 2 or 3 of Dickey's were a wash.

That said, I think it would be a monumental mistake to fire Dickey now. Remember when we were in the Big West and couldn't compete there? Remember when were 1-AA? We're still a new school fighting for respect, and struggling to build a program. You are asking to fire a guy who has taken the school to 3 consecutive bowl games, which we haven't been to since before the dawn of time. You don't just say, "...here we are, we're at the next level now...." which is what a lot of folks want to do. Give Dickey 3-5 more years to see if we can take it to the next level. The way things are going now, the worst that can happen is that we remain major player in the conference we are in. I don't see this entire program taking a step back. We may not win it every year, and the streak will end eventually, but this program in one helluva lot better shape than it was during any preceding administrations of my lifetime.

When we run the table AGAIN in our conference and go to the NO bowl again...will we continue to have these threads? Fans of other SBC teams must be laughing when they read threads like this. How do we have some folks calling for a new coach...to..."go to the next level" when we are having this kind of success in conference where it really counts.

This entire thread is laughable in my opinion. We will win OOC games when we have the athletes and the DEPTH of athletes to get it done and no sooner. If you can't see that Dickey is steadily getting us there, then I don't know how to help you. I don't get my ego from how we do against UT or OU or even isolated games like Baylor (that we would have won if we were playing them later in the season--like next week!).

I just want to see steady progress toward the goal.

How is he steadily getting us there? We regressed against tu, we regressed against Baylor. Don't forget, we also lost to a D 1-AA team which will be in our conference next year. If we are steadily getting better, then we should beat FAU. I don't care how much their program has improved.

ON the "horrible offseason" issue I don't think it is fair to blame the OOC failure on his death. Cobbs was lost after the season started. I'll cede the loss of the coaches, but there is no excuse for us to come out and not even play inspired against tu or baylor. OK so we lost all 3 LB's, but a good coach can come up with the defensive scheme to at least be competitive. If we can't , then I think the coaches are to blame for not having the sense to notice ahead of time that we would be losing all 3 starters at that position at the same time and to go and recruit new ones earlier.

How is he steadily getting us there?  We regressed against tu, we regressed against Baylor.  Don't forget, we also lost to a D 1-AA team which will be in our conference next year.  If we are steadily getting better, then we should beat FAU.  I don't care how much their program has improved.

ON the "horrible offseason" issue  I don't think it is fair to blame the OOC failure on his death.  Cobbs was lost after the season started.  I'll cede the loss of the coaches, but there is no excuse for us to come out and not even play inspired against tu or baylor.  OK so we lost all 3 LB's, but a good coach can come up with the defensive scheme to at least be competitive.  If we can't , then I think the coaches are to blame for not having the sense to notice ahead of time that we would be losing all 3 starters at that position at the same time and to go and recruit new ones earlier.

Hey Rudy...please tell us your real experience in the game of football. The more you post things like this tells me how little you really know about the game. Lose 3 all conference linebackers, the best DT that we have had since Mean Joe, the starting QB from last year (to death), a couple of all conference offensive lineman, an all-conference running back due to injury....and any respectable coach (at an an SBC program) is supposed to just make a few adjustments and keep things snapping along as if nothing had happened.

When this season is over and Dickey is getting applause from all the other coaches in the conference (who really know college football at this level)...will you be man enough to aplogize on this board?

I don't understand why people keep bringing this up either....Zook or Neuhausal could take this team to the next level, but I say let's just keep DD around, build a new stadium, keep winning the Sun Belt (all the while teams keep coming in and moving up passing us by) and just be happy winning the Sun Belt. Nobody really respects us in the football world anyways, so let's just stay and be happy.

I don't understand why people keep bringing this up either....Zook or Neuhausal could take this team to the next level, but I say let's just keep DD around, build a new stadium, keep winning the Sun Belt (all the while teams keep coming in and moving up passing us by) and just be happy winning the Sun Belt.  Nobody really respects us in the football world anyways, so let's just stay and be happy.

What make you think Zook or Neuhausal would come to Denton. It's not like we are going to pay them millions.

Good grief...I hope DD or any of the other coaches or families never read this board. If you do, please know that most of us value what DD and the coaches have done for this program and know that you have taken us to the next level and that is to solidify our position in IA ball...which we DID NOT have before DD. Some of you don't know how close we were to being permanent fixtures in IAA ball or worse.

Good grief...I hope DD or any of the other coaches or families never read this board. If you do, please know that most of us value what DD and the coaches have done for this program and know that you have taken us to the next level and that is to solidify our position in IA ball...which we DID NOT have before DD. Some of you don't know how close we were to being permanent fixtures in IAA ball or worse.

Many of us do know. Many of us think DD is in the right place and want to keep him. Many of us realize where we are in the grand timeline of growing this program. Many of us are very thankful for where we are now - compared to where we wer in the 80's and 90's.

HS football for team that made it to state quarters, taken a coaching class, talked to DD about being an undergrad assistant, but time constraints did not permit, studied the game intensly, and I have coached for a horrible coach. Now, what is YOUR experience. Don't go talking sh!t to people you know nothing about. Last time I checked, Scott was the starting QB last year, not Drew. although he may have challenged for the position, who knows. Please tell me where I said that the coaches were to make adjustments like nothing has happened. I said if our LB spot is such a weakness, then they should have had the forsight to recruit and plan ahead of time. I have acknowledged and praised DD for his time here. If you truly read my posts, you would know that. I also said that if DD can come back next year and give UNT a respectable showing in OOC, I would change my mind. Just because the other coaches, who last time I checked did not get any national applause either, congratulate him, doesnt mean he is the best coach out there.

Besides, aren't you as a fan tired of DD taking shots at the school, facilities, and fans. We have a right to be critical if we dont see something happening. But, is it in his best interest for him to take those shots? Is it in the school's best interested for him to take thos shots. Hey, I like Dickey, he is a nice guy, I just think that he and the school want to move on.

How come we never see any of these Dickey haters answer the ONE question we all have to ask: what makes any of them think that Zook would come here in the first place?

I've seen the fire Dickey, Hire (insert coach of your choice here) threads several times, but NOT ONE of these people has EVER answered that question.

Edited by Starchild0224

I don't think he would. From what I hear, he isnt that great of a coach. I was merley offering an alternative, which is the same name most of us want to see here. And still, I don't think anyone who is a regular poster here, has actually bashed DD, or would be classified as a DD hater.

Tell you what, if it would shut up some of you who worship the ground DD walks on, I would rather have DD than Zook

Edited by Rudy

I don't think he would.  From what I hear, he isnt that great of a coach.  I was merley offering an alternative, which is the same name most of us want to see here.  And still, I don't think anyone who is a regular poster here, has actually bashed DD, or would be classified as a DD hater.

Tell you what, if it would shut up some of you who worship the ground DD walks on, I would rather have DD than Zook

See Green Grenade II

The point is double moot becuase RV is a classy individual. Those clowns at Florida only made this move in a thinly veiled ploy to re-hire the guy who left them high and dry or a bigger bucket of cash.

I highly doubt RV would attempt to upgrades coaches in the middle of the season, and then ask him to finish out the season.

Hey Rudy...this is the last post that I will make on this topic. I played high school ball...tight end. The most important thing in what I brought up is not the knowledge of the Xs and Os. A junior high coach knows the Xs and Os.

What differentiates coaches from real coaches is knowledge and insight into human nature and particulary in college football...the developing human nature of young 18 and 19 year olds. I am not a coach, though I do know the game. I am somewhat of an expert on human nature.

The odds stacked against this bunch of 18 and 19 year olds, and very insightful coach, were almost insurmountable to have been overcome in one season. The fact that DD has overcome it and is now leading this team to yet another conference championship only shows how great of a coach that he really is. Do you understand what I am saying now?