Morris Vision on What North Texas Can Be

TheReal_jayD

8 hours ago, All About UNT said:

Bro.. Semantics.   If he said the best G5 "program" would you have been okay?  From where I am sitting program = job. Personally I want him to turn this into the most sought after P5 job in the country.

@keith has this worry that when a coach says Denton is a "good job", it means expectations are low and it's easy.   This is understandable.

I'm with you, AAU! Morris would not suggest that in front of the camera.  I believe he genuinely wants this to be a destination of choice for any coaches that want success!

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Udomann said:

In complete transparency, it felt like the safe/low bar kind of hire. Aside from the UIW experience he really doesn't add more for the role than SL did.

When firing Seth, more than anything, I wanted a coach who could re-invigorate the fan base and potential recruits. The "Sexy" hire to get us excited.

I don't hate this hire, but I wasn't enthusiastic about it. Overall I like the guy, but didn't fit my personal expectation of the trajectory we needed to take. But he's here, he's our coach, and has full support from me until he doesn't.

I agree with your last two points but I must offer a counterpoint to the bolded.

I think those three years are essential and why I am ultimately ok with this hire as opposed to some of the other names that were out there. 
The reason I wanted a current or former HC was because they would have experience running a program- not just one side of the ball. And in response to something a poster said about Seth struggling to find his way in recruiting initially, someone with HC experience should know how to develop a recruiting strategy rather than just running around looking for players. Morris will have that knowledge, in addition to the advantages of recruiting to a better conference and a program that is objectively in decent shape. My hope is this means that Morris can start out with strong classes rather than need 3-4 years like Seth did. 

• Upvote 1

One of SL’s early struggles was replacing coaches that got plucked away by the P5’s. Had he reloaded, instead of simply replacing, I believe he still may have a job here. 
EM mentioned in an interview that he and SL were friends and had spoken.  Here’s to EM taking his prior knowledge, and knowledge from SL, to help take our program to the next level!   The future is bright!  😎

• Upvote 4