UTEP Depth Chart

Dannymacfan

12 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I just call him The Trieb Trunk because he’s built like one and can be the foundation of our defense.

BillySee58…What’s the skinny on this transfer?

Dave Campbell's Texas Football

• North Texas bolsters defensive line: The Mean Green added depth to the defensive front with a transfer of Abilene Christian's Kadren Johnson. The 6-4, 249-pound lineman recorded 20 tackles, including three tackles for loss and one sack in 11 games. He'll join Enoch Jackson and Roderick Brown up front. lol

3 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

BillySee58…What’s the skinny on this transfer?

Dave Campbell's Texas Football

• North Texas bolsters defensive line: The Mean Green added depth to the defensive front with a transfer of Abilene Christian's Kadren Johnson. The 6-4, 249-pound lineman recorded 20 tackles, including three tackles for loss and one sack in 11 games. He'll join Enoch Jackson and Roderick Brown up front. lol

Should be a depth add. Has added a lot of size since joining college. Hope he can be a late bloomer.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Tex, I'm not sure if you missed my point or just wanted to talk about something else.

My point was that some of the best transfers in our history are not that great right out of the gate.  I mentioned Trice because Trice was not particularly impressive his first year at UNT.  Yes, he won the starting job and he was athletic as all get out; but he was oftentimes out of position, getting beat on routes, and not particularly physical.  His first year.  But his senior year, he was incredible, flying to the ball and demolishing whomever happened to be so unfortunate as to have that ball in or near his hands.

If you are indicating that the learning curve is steeper for FBS transfers than for juco transfers, I'd have to disagree.  I could list multiple juco success stories who started out slow.  We've had some complete flops out of the FBS ranks, but that's completely unrelated to anything I'm saying.

So the conclusion of all that is to say, Don't write off Trieb as a flop if he doesn't immediately meet those high expectations.  He has 3 years to write his North Texas story.

Still, I'm calling 4 TFLs tonight.

Yeah, we’re tracking for sure.  I’m trying to add additional points to it.  I totally understand the learning curve argument!  To placate those who are chomping for Trieb to be all-conference in year one, I was just saying we’ve hit on more instant-impact JUCO guys way more than the P5 guys.  

Overall, I’m just trying to pump the breaks on anointing Trieb as Mean Joe 2.0.  I mean, we have a guy trying to give him a Cowboys HOFer’s nickname a few posts prior to this one!

• Upvote 1