It's July and the Rangers are still in 1st

Earlier in the season, the Rangers were in first place, and I enjoyed, bragged a little, and in the back of all our minds we thought it would fade away. The sweep at the hands of the Reds seemed to be the beginning of the end. Then they went to Florida and swept them. They came home and swept the Mariners. They took two out of three against Houston, and the same at Seattle. Now they are a game and a half in first place and we are in JULY.

If they do make trades to shore up their pitching for a title run, I hope they leave our infield, and top prospects alone. I don't care if that rules out any potential suitors. No reason to sacrifice any kind of future success for one season.

As someone who has taken a lot of crap on this board for being a Ranger fan, and have been the only to defend them many times, I have to post and say being in first place this late in the season feels pretty dang good.

Put me in the camp of the doubters. I knew that Kenny Rogers was solid, although he has exceeded expectations. I thought the rest of the staff was pretty poor and, except for Cordero, I'm still reserving judgment.

I think that the Ranger infield is right there with the Yankees, and may be even better since they're still young. The outfield is passable if they can keep enough of them healthy. It's the pitching that will be their Achilles' heel. But you're right, here it is July and the Rangers are in first place. Even if they don't have the staying power, it's been a fun ride.

I heartily agree with you on not sacrificing the future for a quick pitching fix. There are some great young arms that are only a year or two away and I hope they have the good sense to wait until they develop, even though Rogers may be over the hill by then.

Well it's already been a succesful season to me, and I have heard several radio shows say the same. This team was expected to be worse than last year, so first place at this point is just amazing. They will have several all-stars and Showalter will be manager of the year. They had been targeting next year anyway since Showalter took over, so that's when a skeptical look at the season ending standings will be warranted, but right now, this is all gravy.

I am just shocked that at this moment that the Rangers are doing better than the Astros. I mean a team that had no expectations going into the season is doing better than one that had high hopes. But the Astros will turn it around hopefully here in Houston with the addition of Beltran and with Andy Petitte scheduled to be back with the team shortly.

I have read in a couple of places that if the Astros don't start playing better by the trade deadline, they could trade Beltran away. I don't care where he plays (except NYY) as long as he keeps hitting homers and stealing bases for my fantasy team.

I stoped watching baseball after about JR High, but the winnger Gers have given me reason to watch and has re-gained my interest in the sport in general, next week I;m going to see the Ft Worth minor league team play, and the thought of UNT getting a team is really exciting. I have been to a few rangers games, and it has been to fun!!! I just hope they at least make the penant race, which I do believe they will!!! Go Gers!!!!!

I have read in a couple of places that if the Astros don't start playing better by the trade deadline, they could trade Beltran away.  I don't care where he plays (except NYY) as long as he keeps hitting homers and stealing bases for my fantasy team.

Yes, that will probably happen at the trading deadline if the Astros are out of the wild-card and division race, but I don't see the Astros being out of it that quickly since there is too much talent on the team to allow that to happen.

I have read in a couple of places that if the Astros don't start playing better by the trade deadline, they could trade Beltran away.  I don't care where he plays (except NYY) as long as he keeps hitting homers and stealing bases for my fantasy team.

Well, Beltran hit two homers today, including a three-run jack to extend their game with the Cubs into extra innings. Couple that with the sensational, over-the-wall catch he made on Sunday to rob Michael Young of a leadoff homer, and I think Beltran could be strapping the 'stros on his back and leading them to the playoffs.

If one player could strap a team on his back in baseball, the Rangers would be going for their fourth straight West title this year.

The Astros pitchers have to be healthy (Miller is hurt now), and Biggio and Bagwell have to hold their bodies together. But if I were an Astros fan, as legitimate as those concerns are, the bullpen would have me the most worried. Remember Lidge in the 7th, Dotel 8th, and Wagner in the 9th? Now it's Lidge in the 9th (who will be a fine closer)....and Dan Miceli in the 8th? David Weathers? I saw Miceli pitch for the Rangers, and it wasn't pretty. If they are serious about making a run, they need to shore up their pen, especially with the starters hurt, and Clemens and Pettite won't go deep even when healthy. But the NL Central is winnable, that's for sure, but I assumed they brought in Beltran to actually win a series before Bagwell and Biggio need a walker to get to first.

Edited by Coach