I'm not sure anyone is reading what I'm posting on my thread because of the "controversy", but using his European stats as a way to measure his talent is one of the most misleading things you can do.

If he were a 19 year old 7'5 African American would you feel better? You have brought up the fact he is white and/or Russian almost every time.

Guest e-bone

Like I and JD stated earlier, it is not necessarily just this post, this tone seems to be a common one when you disagree with people.

In other words, you didn't want to admit that you were wrong in using Podkolzine's European stats while he was in his middle teens, playing against grown men, and not getting any playing time because his coach didn't believe in playing a 17 year old. So of course you had to accuse me of being "confrontational" rather than admit that what you said was not very logical.

Isn't it ironic that this whole argument in this thread about me attacking people was started when you had to personally attack me? Even when you admitted I had said nothing that was confrontational?

Take the argument to PM....

LETS TALK ABOUT BASKETBALL

When Loro Starts a section for high school bickering....you will have an arena to argue about who is confrontational...who screws goats(jaydub....jk)....who smells funny...everything...until then lets talk basketball

Edited by UNT_92_Fan

In other words, you didn't want to admit that you were wrong in using Podkolzine's European stats while he was in his middle teens, playing against grown men, and not getting any playing time because his coach didn't believe in playing a 17 year old. So of course you had to accuse me of being "confrontational" rather than admit that what you said was not very logical.

Isn't it ironic that this whole argument in this thread about me attacking people was started when you had to personally attack me? Even when you admitted I had said nothing that was confrontational?

You should be a politician, e-bone. I don't believe I was wrong in using his European stats. Those are the only stats I have to go on. BTW, by your response, in the box above, you should clearly see how confrontational you are. I'm in my upper 30's and you are wearing me out.

Coach, I don't care if he is a 7'5" purple kid. By your reasoning, if Shaq had gone to Europe out of HS he would have rode the bench for years because of his age? If you are right, then it explains why Europe has lagged behind the U.S. for many years on the BB court. If he has that much talent, enough to warrant the #20 pick in the draft, then he should have been playing more. I have seen the Mavs draft too many tall white guys that they state can handle the ball, run the court, etc, etc., etc., alla Chris Anstey, that never panned out.

Yeah, Shaq would have found PT tough as a 17 or 18 year old. Like I said, Darko Milicic, who was talented enough to be selected ahead of Carmelo Anthony, averaged 7 points per game. They said he was behind a veteran that the coach let play as much as he wanted, Darko got mop up time. Looking at Podkolzine's stats, they scream out mop up duty.

On the other hand, Dirk had pretty good European numbers. He also had well known basketball parents which may have helped him out with getting PT. But Dirk made his impression on everyone playing for Germany's national team, not for what he did in Eurpean leagues.

It's a crapshoot, and don't get me wrong I am skeptical, and I am giving him a one year grace period because he is a project, but his numbers from some Italian league don't bother me at all. What will bother me is if in 2 years we have a 7'5 guy standing around the three point line not tough enough to go knock some heads inside.

What will bother me is if in 2 years we have a 7'5 guy standing around the three point line not tough enough to go knock some heads inside.

My fears exactly. I can see the AAC marquees, "Now Showing, Manatis 2: The Shawn Bradley Clone."

Guest e-bone

You should be a politician, e-bone. I don't believe I was wrong in using his European stats. Those are the only stats I have to go on. BTW, by your response, in the box above, you should clearly see how confrontational you are. I'm in my upper 30's and you are wearing me out.

Coach, I don't care if he is a 7'5" purple kid. By your reasoning, if Shaq had gone to Europe out of HS he would have rode the bench for years because of his age? If you are right, then it explains why Europe has lagged behind the U.S. for many years on the BB court. If he has that much talent, enough to warrant the #20 pick in the draft, then he should have been playing more. I have seen the Mavs draft too many tall white guys that they state can handle the ball, run the court, etc, etc., etc., alla Chris Anstey, that never panned out.

I should clearly see how confrontational I am? I'm defending myself against someone personally attacking me for admittedly no reason, you would do the same if you were in my situation. I'll repeat the last two sentences of my last post and that will be all I have to say about this.

Things are very different in Europe. Teenagers play in professional leagues, not in high school like they do here in the US. If Podkolzine had grown up in the US and had played high school ball, he would have put up monstrous numbers since he would have had a foot on the other teams' tallest players. Him putting up stats that would would be absolutely pointless to me. In Europe he was on a team of grown men playing professional basketball, while he was 16, 17, and 18. There aren't many LeBron James's in the world who at the age of 19 can step into pro basketball and be a top player.

I really hope the Mavs send Podkolzine to some affiliate of theirs in Europe for a year or two so he can get some significant playing time at that level before trying to play at the NBA level. I don't look at Podkolzine as a player for the short term, but as someone who in 3 or 4 years could be a very good NBA player. Give the kid some time to mature and learn the game before writing him off.

Guest e-bone

My fears exactly. I can see the AAC marquees, "Now Showing, Manatis 2: The Shawn Bradley Clone."

Well he already has 30lbs+ on Bradley at the age of 19, so he will fill out more naturally and will get stronger by lifting weights. Plus, Mark Cuban has shown that he will spare no expense in hiring many coaches to work with players. Look for the Mavs to hire some specialty coach to work with Podkolzine non stop so he can learn how to play basketball at the NBA level.

You sure can twist things people say. Your last sentence should prove my point, but somehow I am sure you will not see it that way. Once again, telling people their posts "aren't very smart" or "admit what you said was not very logical" is a personal attack in my book, maybe not yours. Your posts on other threads, as well as this one, made me make the statement about personal attacks.

Look, we just disagree and that's okay. My opinion is that using a 1st round pick on this guy was a waste, while you think otherwise, nothing wrong with that. Just don't belittle my opinion.

Guest e-bone

You sure can twist things people say.  Your last sentence should prove my point, but somehow I am sure you will not see it that way.  Once again, telling people their posts "aren't very smart" or "admit what you said was not very logical" is a personal attack in my book, maybe not yours.  Your posts on other threads, as well as this one, made me make the statement about personal attacks. 

In my book it is a personal attack to accuse someone of being confrontational when you even admit that I had said nothing to deserve being accused of that. I had only expressed a differing opinion at that point, and because of that you had to personally attack me.

If you had a problem with what I had said in another thread, send me a PM about it. Don't reply to my argument on a completely different topic in a completely different thread and start accusing me of things that had not happend in this thread.

Yeah, it was a big man's camp and they needed volunteers to play point guard. He volunteered and did very well. That is what got NBA scouts drooling, but apparently Donnie Nelson had been following him years before that. All that did was up his value in the draft, but Donnie was gonna get him regardless.