Anyone want to talk NT basketball

It is difficult to predict NT fortunes in basketball for 2004-5 but I believe there is a chance for an improvement. On paper it looks fairly dismal losing all our “big men” and according to most a lackluster recruiting year. The strength of the team should obviously be the guards. I hope Hopkins can stay injury free and have the big year everyone has waited for. He is capable of a MVP type of senior season. Watson and Hines should both start in a predicted 3- guard lineup. Sturns and perhaps Mitchell should provide good backup at the guard position if he can play to his potential. Then there is number 4 & 5 positions were there are no obvious starters. IMO Juniors Barnett, Harris and Thomas have all had their moments but none has shown that they are needed starter quality. Jones showed some ability toward the end of last year and maybe he can have a very up senior year like Degrate. Jones was supposed to be a better player than teammate Degrate in Juco. Maybe freshman Williams is the real deal and can be a major contributor in his first year. Both Juco forwards seem to be role players but JJ must have seen something there. Apparently judging by the pictures, Simpson can jump out of the pit and White, as Mr. Alabama basketball in HS must have talent.

My projection for NT next year is a 500 season using a 4 or 5 man rotation at the posts. However if one of the “big guys” can substantially elevate their game then NT may fight for the championship.

I would love to see that happen. perhaps we should start recruiting early, like dirty rush in a fraternity. just have big parties full of beers and chicks and only invite potential players. then we could take compromising pictures of them and blackmail them into playing for us. I see a national title in our future. tongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif

With UNT hosting the SBC basketball tourney's next spring in Denton, it would be nice to field a good team(s) that will draw local crowds out. I would hate for ESPN 2 to show a SuperPit final showing WKY and MTSU before 200 fans.

Guest e-bone

With UNT hosting the SBC basketball tourney's next spring in Denton, it would be nice to field a good team(s) that will draw local crowds out.  I would hate for ESPN 2 to show a SuperPit final showing WKY and MTSU before 200 fans.

We had a good team last season, but people still didn't come to see them play. The basketball teams and games need to be promoted, and people need to realize that football isn't the only sport that needs supporting.

Frankly I'd be disappointed if we went .500 this next season. We were one game away from that this season with a team that nobody expected to do anything. Now that some of Johnny's recruits are going to start getting some heavy play time, I'd like to see a 20+ win season and possibly a Sun Belt championship.

I think the guys we have returning are capable of it, and I think it sounds like we nailed a couple of great players in the recruiting, so I'm putting my money on top 3 in the conference.

I'd love a 20 win campaign, I'm just not sure about it. To be honest I wasn't terribly impressed with our recruiting class....or rather what they can bring NEXT year. I think we'll see more benefits 2 years from now. Most of our lineup from last season is back, but we did lose acouple of big contributors(like Johnson for example).

I think .500 is a reasoanble goal. 20 wins would be about the absolute best we could be and 10 vicotories would be the worst case scenario.

That's all from my view at least. BTW: it's nice to have a discussion about somthing other than conference realignment. That's one of the reasons I rarely go into the FB forum over the spring/summer. cool.gif

Edited by CMJ