I want to start a thread

Pierow 2

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about we start 2 sets of cheerleaders.

1.  Ones that can go off to nationals and do their thing.

2.  Others who are there cause they love the school and would be at the games even if they weren't a cheerleader.

I think there are probably rules against that so schools won't just go find the best gymninst available and not make them have to cheer. Except that sounds a lot like UNT right now... ph34r.gif

Ya know, one of the hardest things about any job, paid or voluntary, is showing up. If the cheerleaders and Scrapy can't show up at the games, perhaps they misjudged the time committment for being a cheerleader/mascot. Here's a test. If you can't make home games because of work, study, illness, or whatever, you don't have what it takes to be a cheerleader / mascot (note: everyone seemed to be able to go to New Orleans) . No hard feelings, but allow someone who DOES have the time to cheer, to wear the uniforms. And as far as I'm concerned, the gymnastic stuff is a distraction. GMG

Thanks again for all of your replies, I will try to address all.

Hope24, if you could see the amount of cheerleaders that come to practice you would see how bad the problem really is. When I say they don't take their commitment seriously I mean they really don't take their commitment seriously all the way up to showing up to practices when it is convenient for them. As far as the no show- no compete rule, that is the way it has been in the past. The problem comes when you don't compete and that is the situation we are in this semester.

JayDub, I guess we just need more money. They way our budget is now, getting uniforms for cheerleaders is practically out of the question. That would deplete our budget so much that we would get no per diem on away trips. I guess what the cheerleaders need is for those who can help out financially to do so, but also for those who can't help out financially to tell the athletic department to help us out more. Help us out to find a permanent practice space and help us make money if they are not going to give it to us.

UNTLifer, I think in everything you do there is motivation and that motivation is primarily for self. In being a cheerleader there is no motivation because you are looked down upon by the athletic department and you get no respect from them. This at least was bearable when you knew you had the possibilty to compete for a national title but with that taken away it has become a marathon to see who can put up with the most disrespect and lack of appreciation. As far as leading the cheers, it is a lot easier to lead cheers when the crowd goes along. I know a lot of times if it wasn't for FireFighterRick and myself at football games a lot of people would just sit on their hands. I totally agree with you when you say that leading the crowd in cheers is part of the job of cheerleaders but to limit them to just that takes away the athletic aspect of cheerleaders that has taken so long to achieve. Gymnastics and cheerleading are related but competing is definitely a lot more than just tumbling.

MeanGreenQueen & JayDub, As far as the focus goes for the cheerleading squad the focus in the past has been on competition. That is why our former coach is no longer with us. The Athletic Department thought he focused too much on competition and not enough on games and leading the crowd. Instead of shifting focus the Athletic Department has taken out competition all together and now tells us to lead the crowd. Well you can't lead a crowd that doesn't want to be lead and although things are improving a great deal at North Texas it still isn't the powerhouse we all would love for it to be. As far as our coach coming with us to competition, with the new company that the school made us switch to, he would not have been able to come to that competition with us because his own squads from his gym had a competition that weekend. Scotty Brown is dedicated to this cheer program but he wants to see things happen for the betterment of the program. If he wasn't dedicated to the program he wouldn't even be here because he could be making more money doing something else. He really wants to make the program better but given the circumstances of this season it was a hard thing to do.

E-Bone, I would say that sounded like UNT if we were competing right now but we aren't. wink.gif

I think the front line of fans (we know who we are) need to put on some uniforms and make some noise........you know we are louder anyway!!

And wouldn't the boys look good with a little skirt on!!!!!

Oh..and we should let all the little kids with cheerleading outfits go out there and fill in for the missing cheerleaders!!!! Wouldn't that be so cute!!

I think the front line of fans (we know who we are) need to put on some uniforms and make some noise........you know we are louder anyway!! 

And wouldn't the boys look good with a little skirt on!!!!!

Oh..and we should let all the little kids with cheerleading outfits go out there and fill in for the missing cheerleaders!!!!  Wouldn't that be so cute!!

Me? ... Wear a skirt? blink.gif ... laugh.gif