Militants kill hundreds at Egyptian mosque

-- Religious extremists again....   What is wrong with these groups ... Islamic crazies now are the worst but we have had in the west had Jonestown,  Salem witch trials,  the Holocaust,   the Inquisition, etc. ...  What makes people think they have the right to kill those who don't believe as they do..... It also seems more wars in the past have been about religion as much as any other factor... 

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

2 hours ago, SCREAMING EAGLE-66 said:

-- Religious extremists again....   What is wrong with these groups ... Islamic crazies now are the worst but we have had in the west had Jonestown,  Salem witch trials,  the Holocaust,   the Inquisition, etc. ...  What makes people think they have the right to kill those who don't believe as they do..... It also seems more wars in the past have been about religion as much as any other factor... 

The Holocaust had nothing to do with religious extremism, unless you want to cite Hitler's rabid advocacy of Darwinism.  And as for Jonestown . . . other than perhaps their children, those whom they killed believed exactly like they did.

---Disagree.... it was just a part of WWII but it was about the extermination a religion... ever been in Germany.??  .. I have... several times...  and to Dachau even.. (near Munich).   Part of the hatred was about blaming the Jewish people for the crucifixion ... When given a choice the Hebrews (Jews) chose to free Barabbas and and not Christ... the Passion plays at Oberamergrau and other places really stressed that fact prior to the war ... Doubt me .. go read about them, and the changes made in that play since then.. It was not the driving force of WWII but it was an issue.  I have heard this from people in Germany (why would they lie)  even at Oberamergrau... and this is not just made up by me.. . Religion was an issue.... Not the big one,  conquering territory was . .. but it was an issue. It was not so much pro one religion as it was hatred of another.  Their views were extreme and not typical of most in the highly Christian  west.  Why do you think they were targeted if not because of their religion.?? 

You might need  to read about Bosnia (1990's) and what went on there as well ... religion and ethnic group was a huge issue in the slaughter of people....Our news did not stress the religious issue much... , read .. ,  you will see why.. ...but  it was a big issue.   

Also Iran/Iraq war involved the beliefs of   two Islamic groups .. Shiite and Sunni... and is still an issue in the region today.  I have been  in London when the IRA was blowing up things with planted bombs.... the issue ... religious differences mostly (two Christian groups .. but not the only issue)  I had been in Euston Station also Covent Garden (London) a few weeks  before IRA  bombs exploded there. I have been in Dublin and Belfast also. ...Don't say I am atheist or whatever ... I am just not an extremist and do attend church and even went to a religious funded college for a while.   Some things just are not that pleasant to learn about ...but they are still true....  Nothing is as simple as some would like you to believe. 

• Upvote 1

Jews were targeted primarily for their race, not their religion, although Hitler would seek to use their religion against them as well.  But Hitler's motivation for the Final Solution was eugenics, a principle derived from Darwinism's .  In Hitler's mind, the Jews were an inferior race working against evolution, to the point that he called them a "non-race."

And none of the examples you cited as "religious extremism" are good examples of religious extremism.  The Inquisition was carried out against people who were fervent in their religious beliefs, because the Roman hierarchy wanted to maintain their positions of power.  Yes, they happened to be positions of religious power, but it was not primarily religious considerations that motivated them.  The Jesuits are another story.  But how do you even define "religious extremism"?

By the way, having been a tourist in Germany hardly qualifies you as an expert.  Nothing is as simple as some would have you believe.

--- Any religious group or any group  that kills another religious or ethnic group because they believe differently or look differently  is an extremist group..... To claim religion was not an issue in the holocaust is false .. read more .. i would not exactly call me a tourist .. I have been in Europe over 1/2 year  total. 

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66