No B12 Expansion

Cerebus

31 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Many have been saying the same for years.  You know that the little schools of the Big 12 recognize it - and, that's why they put up with giving OU and Texas more money and almost monopoly power over the conference.

What they need is for OU and Texas to not be guaranteed more money by another conference, because that's what those two schools care about.

The problem, of course, is the shaky future of cable television, which was the basis for conference television contracts. 

Personally, I'd rather see OU and Texas play in more competitive conferences. But, that's the least of their worries.  They are hauling in most of the Big 12 dough without having to be overly competitive nationally.

Favorite quote from the article on Pollard:

"When you know that the athletic administrators think that the best solution is the solution we currently have, why would we then want to say, 'no we'd rather have 12 members?' Because we want to add more schools to this league that are going to be like Rutgers or Boston College in their conferences? Which have no fans coming to the games, and they're getting outscored 170 to whatever it was. In Boston College's case, haven't won a game in two to three years in their conference. That totally dilutes your value."

The Big 12 AD knew that none - except BYU - of the candidates out there were going to add competitively to the mix.  But, BYU is its own special case because of the Mormon angle. 

12 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

OU and UT are struggling to compete as is.  Not sure a more competitive conference would help them out too much, but we shall see in a couple of years when the Big 12 goes away.

I think they struggle for two reasons:
(1) They are very comfortable - the coaches and players - with the cushy surroundings they've surrounded themselves with as they've plundered the Big 12, driving out the pesky A&Ms, Nebraskas, Colorados, and Mizzous, who wanted an equal share of the money and a voice in the direction of the conference.

(Mizzou to the SEC, by the way, was the ultimate miracle shot, half court buzzer beater when OU turned their nose up at SEC's advances.  In the Big 12, they were treated no better than Iowa State.  Now, they are making more than they ever would have in the Big 12.)

(2) Although both still get great recruits, they are no longer slam dunks for getting the best recruits in the state of Texas.  Look at the freshman DT at Houston and QB at Alabama - both from Texas.  And, I think 15 years ago, both end up at either OU or Texas. 

Yes, OU and Texas still do fine in recruiting.  But, they are not slaying it like their "traditional power" brothers Alabama and Michigan right now.  I'd also throw in Ohio State, and possibly Miami now under Mark Richt.

Stoops was accustomed to going into Florida regularly and getting some great players.  I think Richt getting Miami off the mat will probably shut that down. 

Letting A&M escape into the SEC simply open the door a little further to the Bamas of the world to Texas.  It's not that Bama wasn't already getting who they wanted.  But, now...hey, they're in the state every other year...and, sometimes twice because of the kickoff games they'll do at JerryWorld.

OU and Texas both have the same problem: hubris.

They began resting on their laurels, kicking out the best of the conference's traditional schools - as well as traditional rivals.  I mean, OU letting Nebraska go?  Texas bidding a fond farewell to Aggy?

It was a little more than arrogance on both parts.  And, so, while they may be counting higher stacks of cash for it right now...the on the field result has been OU getting curb stomped by Houston and Ohio State.  And, Texas, by damn near anyone who brings anything better than a B game.

Edited by MeanGreenMailbox
  • Upvote 1