Derek Akunne - SPARQ rating

jdennis82

Because I nerd out over the NFL Draft because it's the greatest intersection of CFB and the NFL, I've gotten into the analytic data surrounding the prospect evaluation process.

One site I've become intrigued by is 3sigmathlete.com - to my understanding, a tool birthed out of a Seattle Seahawks blogger's effort to reverse engineer the secretive data used by the 'hawks in their analysis of players.

Anyway, I wanted to bring to the attention of Mean Green Nation that the site has used the pro day numbers of our guys and Akunne rates ahead of several more high profile prospects.

Derek Akunne - 122.7

Shaq Thompson - 119.6

Denzel Perryman - 112.7

Paul Dawson - 106.8

Tiawan Jones - 104.7

http://3sigmaathlete.com/2015/04/13/post-combine-sparq-rankings-off-los-linebackers/

• Upvote 4

I think he is actually a bit heavier than listed... He is much stronger than his numbers indicate, especially lower body. I think he is actually a bit faster as well. Point is, w/e our guys have been doing for the last e years has negatively affected their measurables. I how ole Lew will help change that!

• Upvote 1

Z. Orr should have been drafted last year. At some point you have to wonder if playing at UNT actually hurts your chance of being drafted due to the reputation of the program.

It's certainly unfair and one would think NFL scouts turn over every rock looking for that diamond in the rough.

But it's been 10 freaking years. And when a player like Orr can't get drafted, it really makes one wonder.

Edited by UNT90
  • Downvote 3

Point is, w/e our guys have been doing for the last e years has negatively affected their measurables. I how ole Lew will help change that!

i am also hoping caralla can get unt better results with the players measurables. i have heard positive things since caralla arrived. they are getting protein and vitamins consistiently, and more importantly, he is encouraging speed training instead of just packing on pounds.

wintrich did a good job with discipline in the program, but speed was not a priority and it showed on the field and when our players were tested. several of our players had intrest in running track and it was discouraged.

caralla has actually encouraged some of our players to run track and i am told he prefers it.

Z. Orr should have been drafted last year. At some point you have to wonder if playing at UNT actually hurts your chance of being drafted due to the reputation of the program.

It's certainly unfair and one would think NFL scouts turn over every rock looking for that diamond in the rough.

But it's been 10 freaking years. And when a player like Orr can't get drafted, it really makes one wonder.

Z. Orr was not going to be drafted last year and it makes sense that he wasnt. Non of that had to do with UNT's football program.

There were a couple of reasons why:

1. Size. At 5'11 237 it would be hard to fit into any system as an ILB.

2. ILB is not a high priority draft position. Only 8 guys draft last year. Only 1 guy in the 1st round. The rest were 3rd - 7th.

3. When you get into those later rounds you find a lot teams looking for high potential guys. Not something Orr was. He was coming into the league as a special teams contributor. I'm not sure many GM's/Coaches viewed him as a guy who could develop into a starting ILB. They viewed him as a guy who wouldn't cause problems and would contribute right away on special teams. Its hard to commit a draft pick for a guy that doesn't have that high potential. His measurables didnt jump off the charts.

4. Orr was ranked anywhere from the 19th best LB to not even ranked. One guy I trust didnt have him ranked and this guy does his homework.

• Upvote 1

Marcus Smith might be the player to erase this drought. He'll need somewhere between 50-60 receptions, 650-800 yards and 7-10 touchdowns. He has the measurables, but he needs to match it in stats. He has to squeeze the football when it comes his way, no more drops. He also can't settle being taken down by a DB by simply diving at his ankles. He needs to expect that and adjust to it so he can solidify himself as a big play maker and not fall into the title of a possession TE.