Recruiting Stars Rankings? A Research Project "IF"....

...you have the time. Some of you are great at doing this kind of thing,

SO..........THIS >>>>>>>>Research how many recruiting services star ratings our last 20 or so Mean Green All Conference players (1'st & 2'nd team) had coming out of their high schools.

PLUS....how many from that group of Mean Green All Conference players were walk-ons?

:thumbsu: Give Coach Dan McCarney & his staff these 3 things:
(1) a recruit with good to excellent NCAA FBS level speed (you cannot coach speed as they say)
(2) a recruit with size, quick feet, "heart" and a willingness to physically mature in the weight room and then finally a committed recruit with a...
(3) ...sincere, heart-felt desire to be part of a special football family who have an All For One--One For All mind-set and who also want to help his new football family to continue what our 22 graduating Mean Green seniors began this last Fall and that which was celebrated by 35,000 of their greatest fans on New Years Day at the historic Cotton Bowl Stadium!
Yes, it would be nice to have a handful of 4 or 5 star recruits in Mean Green Country for 2-a-days come August, but moreso, committed recruits who will mature a star or 2 or 3 from their high school development who will be tutored by Coach Dan McCarney and his superb staff with some of the best facilities in the entire NCAA located inside the Mean Green Village.

Let's do this all over again come this New Years Day, 2015, as seen in the YouTube video but with 45,000 traveling Mean Green fans this time around!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I saw this tweet out there last night. Interesting if the info is correct.

"Prospects: dont sweat your ranking. 46 players in the Super Bowl were unranked or 2-stars. There are only four 5 star players playing."

I know this is a grammatical nightmare but twitter only gives you 140 characters so I am sure adjustments were made.

I saw this tweet out there last night. Interesting if the info is correct.

"Prospects: dont sweat your ranking. 46 players in the Super Bowl were unranked or 2-stars. There are only four 5 star players playing."

I know this is a grammatical nightmare but twitter only gives you 140 characters so I am sure adjustments were made.

Part of that is because there are just many more 2-stars and unranked players. Only about 30 kids get a 5-star rating each class. Here's an article by SI that explains it.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/andy_staples/04/23/nfl-draft-prospects-as-recruits/index.html

Guys will always slip through the cracks and become something on the field. In the broad scheme of things it's a simple numbers thing. Individually it's guys working their tails off and reaching potential that many coaches didn't think they had.

This research project would suffer from severe selection bias. There were many years with almost no or no 3 star recruits. So by definition, almost all of our all-conference players would be 2 star or unrated.

97and03, Darrell Dickey in one of his first recruiting hauls had 8 or 9 Texas state top 100 recruits.

Corky Nelson recruited pretty decent, too, as this link on the next line would indicate just looking at some of his team's 1988 season results.

http://www.fanbase.com/North-Texas-Mean-Green-Football-1988

I have no idea, though, and hence the request for a few of our GMG.com recruiting gurus who can find this kind of stuff out pretty fast.

I think you're right, though, that we (like so many other FBS schools) have had our share of 2 star recruits some of whom matured in college quite impressively.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

This needs proof.

It's actually pretty true. Here's the difference, at that time Rivals etc were in their infancy if even existing. The top 100 lists were driven off of the newspapers. There was a Dallas Morning News, Fort Worth Star Telegram, Houston Chronicle, Lubbock Avalanche Journal, Austin American Statesman and Waco Tribune were the main players I can recall.

If you landed a player on any of these lists you could say he was a state 100 player. So that is what we did. These lists were driven by the local sportwriters who covered their local teams. They could be quite biased and often times could be inaccurate.

An example -- there was a State 100 list back then that had basically one player who had not yet committed. I forget his name -- regardless when I approached a UNT coach about said player and the fact he was still available the coach told me there was a reason he was still available -- he just wasn't very good. We landed one linebacker that was all state in some lists Aaron Tei? who never played a down.

With all of the faults and biases of the old system, one thing I did like about it is it was mostly free and it did get driven from writers who actually covered the games. Now the system is totally revenue driven and built around the BCS programs and who they offer as opposed to actual evaluations.

So I can verify that he did have a lot of State 100's that particular year but it didn't even include Brandon Kennedy who was clearly our best player in a decade, He was only an all area pick.

With all of the faults and biases of the old system, one thing I did like about it is it was mostly free and it did get driven from writers who actually covered the games. Now the system is totally revenue driven and built around the BCS programs and who they offer as opposed to actual evaluations.

God forbid somebody charge for original content.

The evaluation thing is false. The network guys are constantly at games, watching players individually instead of keeping stats and following the ball the entire time like newspaper writers.

This needs proof.

SUMG and I both kept up with that year's recruiting haul like most are following this year online.

As I recall our 8 (or 9) state top 100 recruits came from a composite of the Houston Chonicle's, Dallas Morning News' and San Antonio's newspaper's respective state top 100 lists. I also believe it was the Jonas Buckles class, too.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen