10 Things Im Thinking About Before Kick Off, Plus Random College Footb

Mean_Green09

Top 10 Things I’m thinking 9 days from Kick Off.

1. Is this finally the year UNT breaks its bowl drought? I think we are all hoping for the best. There are always the extreme positive people and then there are the people who think UNT will win 3-4 games. I think I fall somewhere in between. I think this team is going to be improved, but the tougher schedule is going to keep UNT from really taking off. I see this team winning between 5 and 7 games. I just think UNT is missing the really special player who can carry it over the edge. I’m not just talking about a special QB. It could be a QB, RB, WR, or defensive player. The type of player I’m referring to is a guy who you would be talking about drafting in the 1st or 2nd round of the NFL Draft. I’m sorry but I just don’t see that guy on UNT’s roster.
  2. Who will emerge as the playmakers? No doubt UNT struggled to make big plays last year. It only got worse when Chancellor went down. UNT is hoping that guys like Jimmerson and Carlos Harris take that next step and become an All Conference player. Who knows maybe one of the new guys like Kidsy will step up and surprise us.
  3. Can Derrick Thompson exercise his demons of the past? Thompson is probably the most criticized player on the UNT roster. Deserving or not his play has got to get better and be more consistent. There were times last year when Thompson looked like he was becoming a solid QB and then there were the times when everybody in the stands thought they could have made a better pass attempt. Thompson better show improvement early or he may be shown the bench.
  4. Conference USA Impacts. I love the move to CUSA, but I’m more than a little concerned on whether or not UNT will thrive. The tougher schedule and the ability of the current schools to out recruit UNT are at the top of my concerns. UNT has to really get off to a good start or else its going to spend a long time as a bottom dweller.
  5. Positive Recruiting. UNT has done a really good job of landing a few talented guys early.
  6. Can the undersized and understaffed defensive line hold its own? The good news is that CUSA is a passing league, but I look for UNT to really struggle against Georgia, Ohio, Tulsa, Rice & Middle Tenn. All those teams are going to put an emphasis on running the ball down UNT’s throat.
  7. Will the Offensive Line be able to carry over the success from last year? No doubt this unit had a pretty solid outing last year. UNT lost center Aaron Fortenberry so can they find a suitable replacement? Will the unit gel as well. How will UNT look running out of the gun? It’s going to be no shock to see UNT in a bit more spread situations, but how well can the O-Line get a push? To me I see UNT having some troubles being able to establish a push sometimes, because I think it’s hard to go from blocking in a shoe box to blocking out in space.
  8. Dan McCarney is he the guy. Don’t get me wrong, Coach Mac has righted the ship here in Denton, but I’m wondering if he is the guy to get UNT over the hump. I’m wondering if he can take us to that next level. I love his openness and honesty, but I haven’t seen the type of recruiting that I would like. I’ve felt like a couple of games too that UNT played it too conservative. While some of that had to do with the talent, I still believe you have to be willing to open it up these days. To me this is the year that will either make or break Coach Mac here at UNT.
  9. Young Talent. I’m wondering out of the young guys who UNT has on the team which one is going to be the guy who stands out. Maybe two guys, I certainly hope there will be more than one. I’m going to go outside the norm here of what most people are thinking in Dajon Williams, whom I really like. Instead Im going to pick Turner Smiley on offense and Sir Calvin Wallace on defense. Smiley was really productive in High School and looked smooth.
  10. JUCO & Transfer Guys. Now is the time for these guys to start paying off. How many guys has UNT missed on the past couple of years? Its time for a couple of these guys to make a big impact this year. UNT certainly needs them to produce if they want to go bowling.

Random College Football Thoughts:

Can anyone break through the stranglehold that the SEC has on college football? I sure do hope so. It’s getting quite old in the world of college football. I’m not sure who has the overall talent to really challenge Alabama. I would say that someone like a Stanford has the physical traits to stick with Bama, but the Cardinal are replacing some big time offensive weapons. I’m not buying the Ohio St hype. Don’t get me wrong I like Braxton Miller, but I just don’t think he is a Vince Young / Cam Newton type of player. He is good, but not special. Oregon is replacing Chip Kelly, but other than that they look like they will be flying again. When you look at the Big XII its hard to see a formidable team because they have some sort of big time weakness. If I had to pick one I would go with Texas. If David Ash comes to play this year well the Longhorns might be sitting at 12-0. In the end I really don’t see anyone beating Alabama this year. It’s hard to beat a Nick Saban team. Its damn near impossible when a Saban team has this much offensive power. Sorry College Football looks like another year behind the SEC curtain.

I love me some Jadeveon Clowney, but I wish that guy would go hard all the time. He has Jevon Kearse talent. Whoever is picking number one in the NFL Draft next April is going to have a hard time passing up this guy. That is unless someone needs a QB which there looks to be many.

I will go on record as saying the breakout players of the year are Daje Johnson, Texas and Jameis Winston Florida St.

Breakout team of the year is Marshall.

Can guys like Frank Beamer & Mack Brown revive their programs? Its going to be hard for Beamer to get it done without a big year from Logan Thomas. Mack on the other hand is facing quite a bit more pressure. My bet is on Mack Brown to last a few more years, because Major Applewhite is going to save his program again. Beamer will be gone after this year.

Can we please get another play by play guy on ABC instead of Bret Mustyburger. I don’t want to be looking live at is face anymore. He is just creepy now.

I love Lee Corso and the headgear every Saturday, but his time is up too. Its time for someone else to don the Buckeye Nut. My choice would be Frank Caliendo. May not be the best sports mind, but his entertainment would trump that.

I thought it was poetic justice that Johnny Manziel wasn’t the first team all SEC QB voted on by the coaches. Instead he was second team. I would have gone with A.J McCarron. I mean what more could ask of the guy who has two national titles under his belt.

Speaking of the Aggies, anybody else think they are in for a down fall this year? I don’t know how all the drama wouldn’t effect this team. Don’t compare this to the Cam Newton situation at Auburn either. Cam was way better at handling is off the field issues. I’m ready for the Aggies to turn on their QB.

Finally ONE WEEK TO KICK’OFF BABY! Here We GO! Go Mean Green!

• Upvote 2

1. North Texas dancers

2. Coeds in sun dresses and cowboy boots

3. Cougars in jeans and blinged out SOW t-shirts

4. Waitress at the watering hole we went to before coming to tailgate

5. Waitress at the watering hole from Friday night

6. What the waitress at the watering hole we are going to after the game is going to look like.

7. Dallas Cowboy/Houston Texan cheerleaders (doesn't really fit but always thinking about)

8. How many beers can I drink before the end of the 3rd quarter

9. Will my beers i left in the cooler still be cold after the game

10. MOST IMPORTANTLY HOW GOOD ITS GOING TO FEEL AFTER A NORTH TEXAS VICTORY!

• Upvote 1