BB Schedule from the "new" Official Site

NT80

This might sound snobbish, or elitist, or whatever, but am I the only one who's getting tired of seeing sub-Division I opponents like St. Edward's and TAMU-Commerce on the schedule, especially for a home game???

With all due respect to both of those schools, they are not going to draw very many fans to the Super Pit. We need to schedule Division I opponents with more familiar names to get attendance higher...like Indiana, who will be coming in 2003-04...think of all the hype that THAT game is gonna bring.

I know that teams like that are not going to routinely come down to Denton to play, even if we become the mid-major power we'd all like us to be, but its a bit embarrassing (not to mention detrimental to our RPI rating) to still be playing the lower-tier schools...

I know top programs (Georgetown and the like) schedule sub-Division I opponents, but they are looking for easy wins and warm-up games, and have fans that will come see them no matter who they are playing...we do not have that luxury as of yet....

This schedule is a major let down. Not only are 9 of our 12 non-conference games on the road, but two of our three games at home are against division II schools!? Others may not like this comment at all, but I would much rather see us in non-conference action at home against some of our former SLC opponents than these schools. Especially the Texas SLC schools. Couldn't we get a two (in Denton) for one deal with some of them?

Those games will hurt attendance, and the drought of home games during the non-conference slate won't help either, nor will it help our overall record. Hopefully this is the same kind of deal as this years football schedule, where we'll see a dramatic improvement over the next few years.

Also, I thought Baylor was coming to Denton this year. Was there a sudden change, or was I mistaken to think that in the first place?

Someone posted Baylor will come to Denton next season, along with Smu and Indiana...mucho better home schedule next year! I agree about trying to get some SLC teams to Denton, but as someone else pointed out, 100 teams wanted to play us last year, but once other coaches realize what good progress is being made they hesitate to come. blink.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I wish they'd switch up the order that the "travel partners" play opponents. I believe this is three years in a row that UNO has played at UNT on Thursday and then at Denver on the weekend (while USA does the reverse). I'm pretty sure that it's been the same situation for y'all too, with only Thursday night games in New Orleans.

I made it to Denton in January '01, but couldn't come last year and don't know if I'll be able to swing it this year. I know the distances in this league mean there aren't many fans making some of these trips, but I'd like to see them switch it up so that some of y'all could come down to New Orleans for the weekend and we could do the same up to DFW/Denton at least every other year.

Privateer6