Tony Mitchell's return makes North Texas potential top 25 team

Harry

He would have likely been a first round pick had he decided to enter the draft this year.

But with the decision to return, he becomes a player to keep an eye on. Remember, the numbers that he put up this year came after he sat out for a year-and-a-half. What kind of player can he develop into with a full offseason of training within a program?

The bigger question is how good can North Texas be? The answer: very … IF things play out the right way.

Jordan Williams and Chris Jones, two members of head coach Johnny Jones’ lauded recruiting class, were ruled academically ineligible in the middle of the season and missed the last 13 games. Jones was averaging 14.1 ppg at the time while Williams was averaging 10.5 ppg. With junior-to-be Alzee Williams also back, along with Oklahoma State transfer Roger Franklin, the Mean Green have a core that is worthy of top 25 consideration. Throw in Grambling transfer Justin Patton and, well, UNT is a couple of favorable breaks away from being one of the nation’s most dangerous mid-major teams.

Read more: http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/09/tony-mitchells-return-makes-north-texas-a-potential-top-25-team/

We did originally post this a couple of weeks ago. Still cool to read though.

I thought that might be the case but it's been so busy in here I figured some may have missed it.

I'm a football first guy and probably always will be but damn the potential of this North Texas basketball program next season has me very excited.