McCarney on Colorado State Radar

bdan2002

I see McCarney seeing this thing through 3 years if not longer. He is a builder of programs and he knows it will take a couple of years to make his mark. When he builds UNT he will be able to name his job in the Big 12, SEC or Big 10. That is 5 years down the road in my opinion.

At his age in 5 years, I doubt he would be a hot commodity at a Big 12, SEC, or Big 10 school. How often do any of those schools hire head coaches over age 60?

At his age in 5 years, I doubt he would be a hot commodity at a Big 12, SEC, or Big 10 school. How often do any of those schools hire head coaches over age 60?

Exactly. Isn't Mac like 59 years old? I saw his age as a positive when we hired him. In that should he turn it around he might be content to stay here until he retired? Still hopeful that's the case.

A few comments have indicated that McCarney knew what he was getting into at NT. Very wrong conclusion, no one could know NT challenges until they actually live them. I do believe that McCarney has promoted NT and done more than any football HC in recent history and his reward in terms of attendance has been close to nothing. New stadium and attractive foes Indiana and Houston were going to draw close to what happened no matter what the HC did. After that it was down a very slick hill in the numbers of people that could be bothered to go to the games.

Remember McCarney just came from the pinnacle of football at Florida and really most of his career has been a large well supported programs. Iowa and Wisconsin may have been down and even a relatively new S. Florida never approached the apathy that exists around NT football. Frankly, I have been following NT football for decades and I was surprised at the attendance this year.

As I posted above I think McCarney will rise to the challenge, but don't for a second believe he contemplated the issues facing NT football.

• Upvote 1

A few comments have indicated that McCarney knew what he was getting into at NT. Very wrong conclusion, no one could know NT challenges until they actually live them. I do believe that McCarney has promoted NT and done more than any football HC in recent history and his reward in terms of attendance has been close to nothing. New stadium and attractive foes Indiana and Houston were going to draw close to what happened no matter what the HC did. After that it was down a very slick hill in the numbers of people that could be bothered to go to the games.

Remember McCarney just came from the pinnacle of football at Florida and really most of his career has been a large well supported programs. Iowa and Wisconsin may have been down and even a relatively new S. Florida never approached the apathy that exists around NT football. Frankly, I have been following NT football for decades and I was surprised at the attendance this year.

As I posted above I think McCarney will rise to the challenge, but don't for a second believe he contemplated the issues facing NT football.

Oh the short memories on ths board.

Houston would have been a sellout if we weren't down 28 points in the 1st quarter to a conference opponent in the 1st game of the season. There was quite a good showing of students at Apogee that night to watch the big screen, and they got, what was in their eyes, the same ole same ole. I was there and saw the looks on their faces. How do you expect a student body to get Jazzed for a game against Houston when UNT crapped their pants against a conference opponent the week before??

I'm sure Coach Mac realizes that if he wants a full house, he can't get blown out of the water by a team that UNT should be competitive against.

I do worry about the LSU game next year. Barring a miracle, we won't be in this game in the second half. Not a good way to inspire attendance at home. Really wish we could dump this game or move it from the 1st game of the season.

• Upvote 1

Okay, but Snyder wasn't able to "name his job." It was K-State or nothing. And I see that less as a new hire, and more as Snyder resuming his duties of the job he was hired for when he was 50 or so years old.

K St. is better for his hire. Lots of parallels between he and Mac at Iowa St. If Mac can turn around UNT (to like 8-4 next year), you better believe some heads will be turned in the Big 12-2

Houston would have been a sellout if we weren't down 28 points in the 1st quarter to a conference opponent in the 1st game of the season. There was quite a good showing of students at Apogee that night to watch the big screen, and they got, what was in their eyes, the same ole same ole. I was there and saw the looks on their faces. How do you expect a student body to get Jazzed for a game against Houston when UNT crapped their pants against a conference opponent the week before??

I'm sure Coach Mac realizes that if he wants a full house, he can't get blown out of the water by a team that UNT should be competitive against.

I do worry about the LSU game next year. Barring a miracle, we won't be in this game in the second half. Not a good way to inspire attendance at home. Really wish we could dump this game or move it from the 1st game of the season.

Yes, I guess you are right; no one should bother to attend after a loss to a conference foe or being blown out by the maybe national defending champion. I really don't understand your rationale, the game was not a sell out because NT got beat bad the week before, yet the good showing that came to the game got that same old look in their eye after NT lost to a top twenty team.

I hope everyone comes to the NT games and enjoys them. However, I am tired of the excuses for not coming; just don't attend, you don't have to rationalize reasons. If it takes perfect weather, a name opponent, no loses the game before, and an I guess an engraved inivation; then just face it you are not a fan and your not gotting to be happy with any team.

Check out the age of Big 12 Coach of the Year, Bill Snyder, at Kansas State

Bill Snyder's situation is in no way comparable to coach McCarney's.

Bill Snyder built KState from the ground up a long time ago (hired when he was 50), became a legend, and has the stadium named after him. He retired for a while and KState football went in the toilet until they begged him to come back.

Coach McCarney is a good coach, and I'm glad he's here... a coup if you ask me... but he's not Bill Snyder (or he would still be at IASt.). When looking at prospective HC's, you have to factor in age, and McCarney is no spring chicken. Does that deter a program like COSt. from throwing gobs of money at McCarney? I dunno. Does it deter McCarney from taking that opportunity? Probably not.

Check out the age of Big 12 Coach of the Year, Bill Snyder, at Kansas State

Again, we are trying to ascertain rules, not exceptions.

Yes, Coach Snyder is great for K-State. But I don't see a multiplicity of BCS AQ schools beating down the door of many, if any, head coaches who are solidly in their 60's.

Yes, I guess you are right; no one should bother to attend after a loss to a conference foe or being blown out by the maybe national defending champion. I really don't understand your rationale, the game was not a sell out because NT got beat bad the week before, yet the good showing that came to the game got that same old look in their eye after NT lost to a top twenty team.

I hope everyone comes to the NT games and enjoys them. However, I am tired of the excuses for not coming; just don't attend, you don't have to rationalize reasons. If it takes perfect weather, a name opponent, no loses the game before, and an I guess an engraved inivation; then just face it you are not a fan and your not gotting to be happy with any team.

I'm sure you are using "you" euphorically, but just in case, please realize that I am a season ticket holder and usually make each and every home game.

Unfortunately, like it or not, students other alums don't think like you and I. I hope they are sick of losing, if they are even Still interested at all. Give them something to be excited about and watch the numbers swell

• Upvote 1

Dead On