Enrollment projections

Stan R

If you take the percentage increase in summer II which was 8.5% and multiply that by the enrollment for last year, which was 28,000 (28,000 x 1.085), the projected attenance in the fall would be (all other things equal) 30,380!!! We break the 30K barrier. Does that calculation make sense or do we have to account for graduations???

GMG!

Stan,

Enrollment in the Fall term won't increase as much as we saw in the summer. Summer enrollment is very nearly open, with few requirements since a lot of these kids aren't being admitted to degree programs. The numbers I have heard most often suggest a 3-4% increase in the total enrollment in Fall 2002. That will keep UNT in line with 5 and 10 year projections.

God bless Texas!

As Gray Eagle said that our fundraising for UNT's contributions and endowment is still in its infancy, but I believe the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board's projection for UNT's growth is our real endowment for the time being.

I can see UNT surpassing the University of Houston in 2-3 more years in enrollment which will then make us the 3'rd largest university in the state of Texas only behind the 2 (two) 1878 Texas legislature designated flagship schools in Austin and College Station; those of Permanent University Fund fame. (Hey, give UNT some of that PUF money and see how much greater we become, gol' darn it)!

Anyway, I believe all these forecast of upcoming growth is why President Norval Pohl, our Board of Regents and UNT AD Rick Villarreal are going to be able to do many of the facility projects (among other things) we all want to see come to fruition in Mean Green Country.

Positive growth just allows you to plan for so many things in your future. cool.gif

The 3-5% growth number is probably the most realistic for fall enrollment.

However, as an aside, I've been seeing HUGE numbers of freshman in advising. We might add 1000-1500 to our total enrollment this fall, but I swear that 1/2 of them are trying to be Biology majors!!!!!

Yeah, everybody thinks they want to be a Dr. then they find that maybe it was just a bit more work than they were willing to do. It is amazing how many pre-meds there are that decide otherwise or just change majors altogether.

Yeah, everybody thinks they want to be a Dr. then they find that maybe it was just a bit more work than they were willing to do.  It is amazing how many pre-meds there are that decide otherwise or just change majors altogether.

Like my brother's g/f. She's known since she was 5 she wanted to be a doctor rolleyes.gif And to make it more interesting, she wants to be a neurologist. She thinks that when she finishes her 2 years of residency, she'll be a neurologist. I've tried to explain to her that after the becomes a plain-jane MD, she will have another 3-4 years training for her discipline. After that she'll join a group, and be a "lower-level" Dr. in the group.

She is taking organic chemistry this fall, so we'll see how her dream does fares after that weed-out class. sad.gif

My mom, who graduated as a Med Tech from UNL said she hated that class, and it was harder then anything she's ever fathomed.

My wife graduated from UNT with a biology degree. She is currently a stay at home mom - you know what she wants to do eventually? She wants to start her own catering company. Who knew? And she is a damn good cook by the way, a natural talent for her. Sometimes it doesn't matter what you degree is, just that you were taught persistence and the value of hard work.

GMG!

I can tell you myself that organic chemistry is what gets most to change their mind. Your brothers g/f should just remember that it is a marathon and not a sprint.........much like NT's rise in athletics. Also, a great point about hard work Stan.