Someone We Should Recruit

jtm0097

Agreed...And wasn't Booger regarded as undersized?

And, as noted, we are already playing an undersized defensive end and linebacker. Some may (laughably) want to pin that on Deloach - but, what do you want? He's working with three of Dodge's recruiting classes, so he's doing the best he can with what Dodge with all of his mighty recruiting prowess has been able to sign. That means a small DE and LB.

I'm not really in favor of signing this kid, I just think it's funny that people oppose it due to either size of the player or scholarship waste since those two things already existence with this bunch running the show.

And, as noted, we are already playing an undersized defensive end and linebacker. Some may (laughably) want to pin that on Deloach - but, what do you want? He's working with three of Dodge's recruiting classes, so he's doing the best he can with what Dodge with all of his mighty recruiting prowess has been able to sign. That means a small DE and LB.

I'm not really in favor of signing this kid, I just think it's funny that people oppose it due to either size of the player or scholarship waste since those two things already existence with this bunch running the show.

So, just to get it right, Deloach bears no blame for the last two years he was here, and the defensive players brought in under his watch? Is his sole responsibility coaching? Does he not recruit at all? Was Dodge responsible for the first 3 quarters of the WKU game and Deloach responsible for the 4th?

Something tells me that, in your eyes, if this kid signed and became all-conference, it would be strickly because of Deloach's coaching abilities. But, if this kid signed and was an unproductive player, it would be that darn Dodge and his continued recruitment of these small players.

Credit and blame go hand-in-hand with everyone on this staff.

I think it's funny also that someone with no coaching experience or probably playing experience either knows so much about recruiting players for D1 football that he can without a doubt put anyone and everyone down that goes against his beliefs about the game :) j/k. I know there are a few players out there that over come size and play bigger than they are but these players are far and few in between. Yes we have players like the ones silver eagle mentioned that have problems executing but believe me bringing in more under size players will not fix the problem. If this coach will not recruit players that can compete with other D1 mid-majors (and yes that's what we have to strive for at this point. when we can beat other mid-majors then we can try for the big boys) then he needs fired. i don't care what others say about giving him another year. You can give the man 70 years and this team will still lose. I know this will sound like sour grapes but I'll give my son as an example of this coaches wrong thinking about playing at this level. I believe like DD did and Evans as well as coaches from other D1 schools that he would have made a great TE. Indeed his freshman year he looked great at the position. Then Dodge ball comes around and he's moved to defense. The move was disastrous for my son. He was moved to DT at 260lbs and played with a lot of heart and probably was the best DT in the game for us but at his size he was bound to get hurt and that indeed is what happened. A broken hand and bulging disks in his back finished his football career at UNT. All because a new coach believed he can run an offense without TE's. I'm not against the spread but run one like OU and some of the other schools run now with TE's. I know he's had some success with the spread but look who the success came against. I'm not usually the one to put coaches down because I know it is one of the toughest jobs around but I honestly believe UNT will never win the sun belt again with Dodge at the helm. I do think Dodge can be a winning coach but he will have to change his thinking about the spread and also go after better players that includes recruiting outside of Texas. The problem is that it's to late for that now. He would have to change now and then it would be another 2 or 3 years before it would start working and his time is already ran out as far as i'm concerned. As Forest Gump would say...that's all I got to say about that.

I'm not usually the one to put coaches down because I know it is one of the toughest jobs around but I honestly believe UNT will never win the sun belt again with Dodge at the helm. I do think Dodge can be a winning coach but he will have to change his thinking about the spread and also go after better players that includes recruiting outside of Texas. The problem is that it's to late for that now. He would have to change now and then it would be another 2 or 3 years before it would start working and his time is already ran out as far as i'm concerned. As Forest Gump would say...that's all I got to say about that.

Again... Glad to have you back. I was pretty sad about how Charlie's career here played out, and reading your comments about it here just reinforces that regret and disappointment. Send him our regards, and thanks for continuing to be a presence in our community.

To summarize, tongue gently in cheek... You're saying Dodge is capable of succeeding, eventually, but only if he radically changes his entire approach to offense and recruiting? Not the most encouraging assessment. :)

My season ticket holding father will be going to Corsicana to watch a Kilgore Playoff game...I was just in Kilgore two weeks ago for their Hall of Fame golf tourney and watched them play Tyler in September...

Solid program and solid competition in the SWJCAC...

We need ties and in-roads to Kilgore, Tyler, Blinn and the rest of them...They consistenly have players go on to the NFL, year in, year out...

All for more talent!

NT has known offers to 14 JC's at this time...3 from Blinn including a DT, DE, S , 3 from Trinity Valley, 1 from Navarro and another 5 offers from Kansas JC's. Keep in mind we only know of 59 offers and there are at least another 30-40 offers out there. OldTimer

6' 200 is not undersized for a safety... KC plays a 4-2-5 in which sources confirm that he plays more of a safety coverage role than a run stuffing linebacker role...

Fwiw...talent is talent... Period... And I'm all for more talent... Juco's can work out well and I like they have 1-2 years of extra experience and development...

I think it's funny also that someone with no coaching experience or probably playing experience either knows so much about recruiting players for D1 football that he can without a doubt put anyone and everyone down that goes against his beliefs about the game :) j/k. I know there are a few players out there that over come size and play bigger than they are but these players are far and few in between. Yes we have players like the ones silver eagle mentioned that have problems executing but believe me bringing in more under size players will not fix the problem. If this coach will not recruit players that can compete with other D1 mid-majors (and yes that's what we have to strive for at this point. when we can beat other mid-majors then we can try for the big boys) then he needs fired. i don't care what others say about giving him another year. You can give the man 70 years and this team will still lose. I know this will sound like sour grapes but I'll give my son as an example of this coaches wrong thinking about playing at this level. I believe like DD did and Evans as well as coaches from other D1 schools that he would have made a great TE. Indeed his freshman year he looked great at the position. Then Dodge ball comes around and he's moved to defense. The move was disastrous for my son. He was moved to DT at 260lbs and played with a lot of heart and probably was the best DT in the game for us but at his size he was bound to get hurt and that indeed is what happened. A broken hand and bulging disks in his back finished his football career at UNT. All because a new coach believed he can run an offense without TE's. I'm not against the spread but run one like OU and some of the other schools run now with TE's. I know he's had some success with the spread but look who the success came against. I'm not usually the one to put coaches down because I know it is one of the toughest jobs around but I honestly believe UNT will never win the sun belt again with Dodge at the helm. I do think Dodge can be a winning coach but he will have to change his thinking about the spread and also go after better players that includes recruiting outside of Texas. The problem is that it's to late for that now. He would have to change now and then it would be another 2 or 3 years before it would start working and his time is already ran out as far as i'm concerned. As Forest Gump would say...that's all I got to say about that.

Thanks for the reply, MGP. Some of the things you cover have also been related to me by other players' parents over the past year - a couple who were even brought in by Dodge himself.

Again, for the record, I'm not for brining in undersized guys at any position. It was just strange to me that some objected even though it's already happening here.

Having gone to UNT and Tulsa, I've kind of wondered what would have happened if your son had gone to Tulsa instead. I know Charlie was bigger than the Blankenship boy that played TE up there, and even a little bigger than the youngest Blankenship that went to Nebraska and played defensive end. The Blankenship that played tight end caught quite a few passes up there.

I also agree with your statements about recruiting outside of Texas. This has been a battle I've fought on the VIP board. So much emphasis was placed on getting "DFW guys" in the beginning. Well, after a couple of seasons of beatings what happened...Shelton Gandy was sent to get some players from well outside of the DFW area. I always have believed that North Texas would have to take more of an Oklahoma or Nebraska approach to recruiting and get guys wherever they can get them.

When I was at Tulsa, there were quite a few guys who had played college ball - couple were in grad school and still playing. But, there were others who had played at Iowa State, Texas, UNLV, and TCU. Chatting with those guys about their recruiting was always fun. It'd be fun to hear your parent perspective on it sometime.

The most interesting part of getting to know those guys was going to football games with the guy from UNLV. He had played middle linebacker at UNLV and Tulsa played some of the same teams back then. One was Rice. I remember watching a game Rice was playing and he called nearly every play the Owls ran. Anyway, the Owls were behind and had a fourth and maybe 6 on the 25 yard line or so and they were going for it instead of kicking a field goal. I said, ""That's crazy." This guy watched them line up and said, "Nah, they're throwing this one to the slot in the end zone." I thought he was crazy because Ken Hatfield was still the coach and running option. I'll be damned if they didn't run the play my friend said they would and hit the slot for a touchdown.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch