Concerts at NT

JayDub

Does anyone know what kind of hoops one would have to jump through to promote a concert at the Super Pit?

I think that this is something that the university could do to make some money...book currently popular and relevant artists that could pack a house and leave the university with some extra $$.

Well, it wont be easy. I have tried, but when I went to the Super Pit's front offices, they said that they couldnt do anything once the basketball floor is put down in October. they said they couldn't take up the floor once it was put down. I was tried telling them how much money a concert would bring in, but they didnt seem to care, or understand. They were just intent on not having to do any extra work to bring up the floor.

That is a great idea to have concerts at the Super Pit. I remember seeing Pearl Jam at the Super Pit when I was in college. They had just released their second album. It was amazing to be able to see a band of that caliber in Denton. Did anyone else on the board see that show?

Denton used to be lush with good bands...but since many of the bars that provided a venue have either (1) gone out of business; (2) burnt to the ground or at least burnt, then went out of business; or (3) changed up the venue to the point that bands no longer have the atmosphere they used to enjoy.

The rise of Deep Ellum has pretty much killed the Denton music scene.

On renting the SuperPit, it's something like $10,000 just for a night.

And some people wonder why there's nothing to do in Denton on the weekends... <_<

Pearl Jam, Harry Connick Jr and Pat Green have all played there. the first two sold out best I remember.

I think you would get great midsize acts to play in a huge college town. It just is the thing about getting the university off their ass to do it. UPC (isnt that what it is called?) would be great for booking shows like this, but it takes more effort than showing second run movies at the Lyceum.

Everclear just played in Shreveport. The show was booked by LSUS in Shreveport and the students got half priced tickets.

Seeya,

Shane

most of the bands that come through would suck anyways. I'm content with driving to deep ellum for now.

Not if I have my say about it. You can get good bands that aren't the Stones, Springsteen, or any of the flavor of the week bands.....it just takes a little effort.

Dashboard Confessional, Cross Canadian Ragweed, Norah Jones (how about that for a homecoming concert?), Ben Folds, Jack Ingram.....they would not only be great bands to see.....but would sell the place out.

Posted on Jan 20 2003, 12:08 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, it wont be easy. I have tried, but when I went to the Super Pit's front offices, they said that they couldnt do anything once the basketball floor is put down in October. they said they couldn't take up the floor once it was put down. I was tried telling them how much money a concert would bring in, but they didnt seem to care, or understand. They were just intent on not having to do any extra work to bring up the floor

I work for a National Dance/Drill Team Company, and we have our huge Nationals Competition at UNT each Spring. I know for a fact that they DO take up the floor. The dancers do not have a couple inch edge on all four sides to trip on. So the University can take up the floor when needed. Someone correct me if I am wrong on this, but I am pretty darn sure about it.

So the University can take up the floor when needed. Someone correct me if I am wrong on this, but I am pretty darn sure about it.

They have taken it up the last two springs for thier Spring Fling concert (which in 2001 featured Pat Green and is exactly the type of artist JayDub is talking about...what a great crowd and atmosphere).

Dashboard Confessional, Cross Canadian Ragweed, Norah Jones (how about that for a homecoming concert?), Ben Folds, Jack Ingram.....they would not only be great bands to see.....but would sell the place out.

I just can't see how those bands could sell the place out. Bring in a good number.......yes. But besides devoted fans, they just aren't going to bring in Joe Music fan.

I just can't see how those bands could sell the place out.  Bring in a good number.......yes.  But besides devoted fans, they just aren't going to bring in Joe Music fan.

You'd be surprised....open it to the public....not just NT students....I saw Ben Folds a while back and the turnout was AMAZING. I've seen all of these bands live and all of the have drawing power.

They have to be able to take up the floor...how else can they have all of the events already mentioned in this thread and highschool graduations?! I'm pretty sure that's where my brother is graduating from high school this May.

As for the idea of concerts in the superpit, I think its a fantastic plan. Saturday at the game I was looking around at the empty seats and how big that place is and wondering why we don't utilize the space more.

Especially if there was a way to make money. If they brought in somebody everbody wants to see, it would be a winning sitaution for everyone. And once we pay off all the costs, maybe some of that revenue could go to getting the new stadium done before my grandkids go to UNT!

Not if I have my say about it.  You can get good bands that aren't the Stones, Springsteen, or any of the flavor of the week bands.....it just takes a little effort.

my point exactly. And don't even mention Dashboard as a possibility, that guys steps foot on this campus i will break his whiney ass in half.

my point exactly. And don't even mention Dashboard as a possibility, that guys steps foot on this campus i will break his whiney ass in half.

I know everyone is entitled to their opinion on this board, but is your's always negative?

I may be dating myself here, but Steve Wariner played there in the late 80's, and he put on a great show. They set the stage to face one side of the Super Pit with floor seating in front of the stage. I always wondered why UNT didn't do this more often as a fundraiser for the university.

Let me throw a little bt of the entertainment industry perspective on this. I know you know alot of this justin but let me add my two cents.

The floor take 2 guys 8 hours to pull up, thats it.

Your looking at somewhere between 3-5 thousand for insurance and cops

the facility should go for around 5 depending on wether it is just unt students or ticketmaster sales etc...

your looking at around 10-12 for sound and lighting, minimum

and you must have enough money in the bank to cover the 'what if' factor, ie you book this and pay the band, sound, facility, insurance, even if no one shows up.

However, there can be ALOT of profit. but if you do alchohol sales and food sales the band gets a cut of that as well as the venue typically

just my two cents. if you want contacts for different bands let me know

eric