Nt Out Of Conference Bb Schedule

Buford_Julep

records count more at the mid-major level than the bcs level....you know that!! come on e-bone certainly alcohol hasn't killed all your brain cells. B)

Except mid majors and high majors are compared to each other by the selection committee. If we have a good OOC record against poor competition but are around .500 in conference then we will never have a chance at making the NCAA tournament as an at large team because there are mid majors out there that put up good records OOC and in conference and high majors with similar records to ours that will beat us because they actually played a decent schedule. I can't believe I'm having to explain this.

Except mid majors and high majors are compared to each other by the selection committee. If we have a good OOC record against poor competition but are around .500 in conference then we will never have a chance at making the NCAA tournament as an at large team because there are mid majors out there that put up good records OOC and in conference and high majors with similar records to ours that will beat us because they actually played a decent schedule. I can't believe I'm having to explain this.

We will never make the tourney as an at-large with a .500 conference record, unless we move to a power bball conference or win our conference tourney.

Just ask a ranked Utah State team!

Rankings in polls are meaningless in college basketball.

More relevant "rankings" are RPI (USU is in the '30s). USU may get in by winning the WAC, but don't look for a high seed. Whoever does not win the WAC tournament may be on the bubble.

Rankings in polls are meaningless in college basketball.

More relevant "rankings" are RPI (USU is in the '30s). USU may get in by winning the WAC, but don't look for a high seed. Whoever does not win the WAC tournament may be on the bubble.

I was talking about their team that was something like 24-3 and in the freaking top 25 that got snubbed from the tournament a few years ago. Should have specified since they are back there this year.

I was talking about their team that was something like 24-3 and in the freaking top 25 that got snubbed from the tournament a few years ago. Should have specified since they are back there this year.

and you make a very good point. Sorry I did not get it at first since that is my argument all along.

UConn can play those teams because they will have one of the nation's toughest conference schedules every single year. If they have a great OOC record against inferior opponents and even finish at .500 in conference, or possibly less, they will be in the NCAA tournament. We play a poor OOC schedule that doesn't prepare us for conference and then finish around .500 in conference, requiring that we win the conference tournament to make the NCAA tournament. Again, as I have already stated, if we were killing in conference every season then the OOC schedules we have played would be great because we could rack up wins in and out of conference play, making it much easier to make the NCAA tournament even if we don't win the conference tournament.

Not to be overly contentious...but what would you have preferred our schedule look like? I don't think it would be prudent at this point in our programs development to load up on Top 25 programs...we played 3 traditionally strong schools this season in OSU, Arkansas and Houston...just kinda happenstance that we caught the first 2 in rebuild mode...but we also still lost. When we signed the home and home with Indiana State most thought that would be a good gauge against a mid to top MVC school...again, maybe bad luck...but not poor scheduling.

I can really only see four games to complain about...Cameron, though it has been stated that most schools schedule at least one D-II school, especially as a home opener to get the season off on the right start. The two games with Sam Houston St...I like one...but I'm not a fan of playing anyone but a legit rival more than once in the OOC. Jackson State is a bit of a reach, but they are in contention for the SWAC title. Then Houston Baptist...but they're a new D-1 team that was itching to play anyone...and they played five games against our common opponents. Can't really complain about UTA if we cant beat them.

Id keep Cameron and Houston Baptist...so lets change SHST and Jackson State...who do you add that you think you have a legit chance to beat? TCU at 13-12, 6th place in the MWC? Maybe a Texas Tech at 12-13, 11th place in the Big 12? Rice at 8-16 or SMU at 7-16 fighting for the cellar of C-USA? Do wins in any of those games really help our RPI considerably? What would losses do?

Or maybe you load up the schedule? You want #2 Oklahoma this year? Texas is struggling this last month, but they were Top 10 in the OOC part of the year. Do you feel good about our chances this season against Texas A&M?

I think an empty win is better than a suspect or a blowout loss...its a slippery slope, and I'd like to see some changes made in our scheduling habits, but I really can't get up in arms about this schedule. Perhaps when we look better, consistantly, against an OSU, Arkansas or Houston I'll start yearning for Tech, A&M or Baylor...but until then I don't see the benefit of adding losses. Our RPI, and the RPI of our conference suck b/c of how we've played...not who we've scheduled.

Not to be overly contentious...but what would you have preferred our schedule look like? I don't think it would be prudent at this point in our programs development to load up on Top 25 programs...we played 3 traditionally strong schools this season in OSU, Arkansas and Houston...just kinda happenstance that we caught the first 2 in rebuild mode...but we also still lost. When we signed the home and home with Indiana State most thought that would be a good gauge against a mid to top MVC school...again, maybe bad luck...but not poor scheduling.

I can really only see four games to complain about...Cameron, though it has been stated that most schools schedule at least one D-II school, especially as a home opener to get the season off on the right start. The two games with Sam Houston St...I like one...but I'm not a fan of playing anyone but a legit rival more than once in the OOC. Jackson State is a bit of a reach, but they are in contention for the SWAC title. Then Houston Baptist...but they're a new D-1 team that was itching to play anyone...and they played five games against our common opponents. Can't really complain about UTA if we cant beat them.

Id keep Cameron and Houston Baptist...so lets change SHST and Jackson State...who do you add that you think you have a legit chance to beat? TCU at 13-12, 6th place in the MWC? Maybe a Texas Tech at 12-13, 11th place in the Big 12? Rice at 8-16 or SMU at 7-16 fighting for the cellar of C-USA? Do wins in any of those games really help our RPI considerably? What would losses do?

Or maybe you load up the schedule? You want #2 Oklahoma this year? Texas is struggling this last month, but they were Top 10 in the OOC part of the year. Do you feel good about our chances this season against Texas A&M?

I think an empty win is better than a suspect or a blowout loss...its a slippery slope, and I'd like to see some changes made in our scheduling habits, but I really can't get up in arms about this schedule. Perhaps when we look better, consistantly, against an OSU, Arkansas or Houston I'll start yearning for Tech, A&M or Baylor...but until then I don't see the benefit of adding losses. Our RPI, and the RPI of our conference suck b/c of how we've played...not who we've scheduled.

As I have stated repeatedly, if we are killing in conference every season then this type of schedule is fine as we can rack up wins both in and out of conference play. However, we have barely finished above .500 in conference the past 2 seasons and were well below that the few before. The OOC schedules we play do not seem to prepare the team for conference. I love watching the dunk fests and blowouts against the Houston Baptists, UTPB, etc..., but they do nothing to make the team better. If we need to schedule tougher OOC and give up a few wins in order to be ready to play in conference, I can live with that. As it is, the only hope we have of making the NCAA is by winning the conference tourny. Until that changes then we need to focus on making sure the team is ready to dominate conference play.

As I have stated repeatedly, if we are killing in conference every season then this type of schedule is fine as we can rack up wins both in and out of conference play. However, we have barely finished above .500 in conference the past 2 seasons and were well below that the few before. The OOC schedules we play do not seem to prepare the team for conference. I love watching the dunk fests and blowouts against the Houston Baptists, UTPB, etc..., but they do nothing to make the team better. If we need to schedule tougher OOC and give up a few wins in order to be ready to play in conference, I can live with that. As it is, the only hope we have of making the NCAA is by winning the conference tourny. Until that changes then we need to focus on making sure the team is ready to dominate conference play.

I see your logic...and I don't really disagree with it, especially with JJ's teams who tend to play to their level of compitition...a good thing when we're on the floor with an OSU.

But lets say our bounce-back game after that Houston ass-whipping was Baylor instead of Sam Houston...then New Mexico State...then maybe Texas Tech instead of Houston Baptist...that has the potential to be a pretty big losing streak coming into a conference opening weekend in Louisiana (ULL and UNO)...do you really think that the team feels more prepared and confident heading into those games?

Again...this isn't full-frontal blown disagreement. And if the crux of your arguement is that people need to maybe tap the breaks on luading these past 20 win seasons as something that merits at large consideration, I couldn't agree with you more...but this is not a bad schedule...I'd hope for 2, maybe 3 improvements next season...I'd just caution against trying to play nothing but Top 25 teams in the OOC.