How Many Grammy's Will UNT Alum Norah Jones

In the opinion of some, she will get at least the Newcomer of the Year Grammy Award but newcomers have to pay more dues before they start piling on multi-Grammy Awards from what I have observed thru the years. Maybe the extraordinarily beautiful babe that North Texas Ex Norah Jones is will be the exception? Hey fellas, is it time we go back to UNT to get those post grad degrees?!?!? }:>) No wise cracks, one is never too old to get more education or are they? }:>(

Anyone remember when UNT's One O'Clock Lab Band was the first ever collegieate group ever to receive a Grammy nomination in 1975? And then had several others after that?

As GT(N)T first reported on his thread about Norah, she is the daughter of sitar phenom Ravi Shankar who taught the Beatles how to play this unique stringed instrument. Beatle fans will recall they first started using the sitar when they got into the psychedelic era of their music which I presume started with Sergent Pepper's Lonely Heart Club Band?

You go, Norah! You go, girl! cool.gif

She went to UNT??? When?  I don't know much of a background about her. Is she still living in the area?

Yes, Rudy, according to an article in the Fort Worth Star Telegram she is an alum of UNT. In fact, I read later she was a jazz major in the UNT College of Music. She must have attended in the mid 1990's.

BTW, her beautiful face is on the cover of this month's edition of TEXAS MUSIC magazine. She looks to be part Indian (India) and African American but I don't know for sure about that. No matter what her mix is, her mom and day produced a "beaut! smile.gif

She now lives in New York City.

BTW, her beautiful face is on the cover of this month's edition of TEXAS MUSIC magazine.  She looks to be part Indian (India) and African American but I don't know for sure about that.  No matter what her mix is, her mom and day produced a "beaut!   smile.gif

Her father is the famous sitar guru Ravi Shankar.

She's up for 5...Record of the Year, Album of the Year, Song of the Year, Best New Artist, and Best Female Pop Vocal.

Winning the "Best New Artist" catagory is widely known to be cursed. Very few who have won it have gone on to be successful beyond their first album. She's up against Ashanti, Michelle Branch, Avril Lavigne, John Mayer. This being said, I hope she wins 4 out of 5 and I'm hoping Avril Lavigne wins "Best New Artist". smile.gif

That's all from me, GMG.com's self-proclaimed resident Music Biz guy. smile.gif

she is the daughter of sitar phenom Ravi Shankar who taught the Beatles how to play this unique stringed instrument

I thought he taught them how to become frequent, rather than casual drug users?

If the best new artist is cursed, I hope Ashanti wins it. I think Branch and Mayer are just amazing, and I like Lavigne and Jones, so that leaves Ashanti. If it doesn't turn out this way, I couldn't give a flying you know what. The Grammys are much ado about nothing, and real good music will continue to go unrecognized. I would rather watch hockey on espn2 than all these millions of awards shows that go on.