More On Dl Loses

MCMLXXX

Can I assume at this point that the two O-Linemen from Mississippi are going to report to camp? I seem to recall that they had some academic issues to take care of before getting here.

I don't believe Hollivay had any academic issues that were reported; I believe it was just Nate Jenkins who had some remaining classwork; this is the latest I could find on him, from a Vito Blog entry:

May 16, 2008

UNT mailbag

2:42 PM Fri, May 16, 2008 | Permalink

Brett Vito E-mail News tips

Matt McCombs sent in a good question to the Mean Green Blog today on the status of Pearl River (Miss.) Community College tackle Nate Jenkins, who is trying to finish up his junior college coursework in time to be eligible to play for UNT in the fall.

Jenkins has one class left to take and will enroll in that class in the first term of summer school at Pearl River. That term should end in time for Jenkins to pack up and move to Denton for the start of fall practice.

Can I assume at this point that the two O-Linemen from Mississippi are going to report to camp? I seem to recall that they had some academic issues to take care of before getting here.

Ok, I thought I'd seen some more detailed info on Jenkins, it was this Vito post, which mentions Jenkins was to have finished up his one remaining course by the end of June. Since we haven't heard anything since May 16 on this, I'm taking it as good news (unless I find out otherwise).

May 15, 2008

Good news on UNT football

8:35 PM Thu, May 15, 2008 | Permalink

Brett Vito E-mail News tips

After the events of the last week or so, I bet UNT football fans could use some good news. And since we are in the public service and information business on the Mean Green Blog, I went and found some.

Just before national signing day earlier this year, I reported on the blog that Pearl River (Miss.) Community College tackle Nate Jenkins had a whole lot of work to do in his final semester and over the summer to become eligible to play next season.

Since this is the time of year that grades come out, I gave Pearl River coach Tim Hatten a call to see how Jenkins was doing. Turns out he did very well in the spring.

"He's got just one class left to take," Hatten said. "He needed 18 hours and passed 15. Some guys when the light at the end of the tunnel gets a little brighter, they get a little more motivated."

Hatten said Jenkins will be done with his junior college classes by the end of June and should be ready to go when UNT opens fall camp. UNT is expected to plug Jenkins, who is huge at 6-4, 335, in at right tackle to replace Adam Venegas.

UNT could use the help after quarterback Giovanni Vizza was beaten in a way that is illegal is most states last year, when the Mean Green’s quarterbacks were sacked 39 times.

"There is no doubt that Nate can help North Texas out," Hatten said. "He could help a lot of teams in the country."

Jenkins is one of two junior college linemen UNT added in its last recruiting class. Gabe Hollivay, a guard from Itawamba (Miss.) Community College, also signed with the Mean Green.

Post your thoughts on the blog. Just how much better will UNT's offensive line be next season if Jenkins can finish up his work in junior college and play for the Mean Green?

http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/...8.6710ba28.html

by Brett Vito / Staff Writer

North Texas was put in an unenviable situation over the last few weeks, when the Mean Green’s coaching staff found out it will be without its projected starting defensive ends for the 2008 season.

Returning starter Eddrick Gilmore is no longer with the team, while Alonzo Horton, one of the Mean Green’s top-rated recruits in its 2008 class, did not earn the associates degree he needed to meet NCAA requirements to transfer to a Division I school from Northwest Mississippi Community College.