Mitch Maher

Dodge2007

Mitch,

Being a former QB and leader, how do you feel about the direction of the offense this season and iwhat do you see for years to come? HOw does Vizza compare to you as a true freshman? What would you do differently in tweaking the offensive scheme, use of TE's, more maximum blocking protection, more variation rather always being in the 4 WR set, etc.? Taking snaps from center?

Love to hear your thoughts on how much Vizza will grow from this season.

We can all play arm chair QB, but you have been in the trenches and have been a true freshman and so forth, your insight would be interesting on how much a QB grows from year to year.

I just am tired of all the race posts and want to talk about some offensive football from someone who has done it at UNT. THANKS Mitch.

Hey Dodge2007,

It's 4:30 p.m. I just saw your post. Sorry about that.

1. The direction of the offense: Remember, this is year one with a completely different scheme. This offense if going to be very, very strong. But, it's going to take a bit of time... getting the players in here who fit the system, learning, growing, etc...

2. Vizza compared to me as a true freshman? I've only been able to listen online (was at the Arkansas game, but we had to leave early... little girl was losing it and we had another 2 hour drive to Branson that night), but it seems to me that he is much better than I was as a freshman. Those of you who were around in 1991 will remember pretty poor performances by me, despite a pretty good first start against SEMO. I had come from an option based attack at Plano (only threw 88 times in 14 games as a senior), so the passing offense was something I really had to grow into. Seems that Vizza is light years ahead on the passing game. Sounds like he's a great leader... gutsy... tough... things I hope could have been said about me even as a pitiful freshman.

3. Tweaks to the Offense? I wouldn't tweak anything to Coach Dodge's offense. Folks, this is going to get real fun to watch—just give it some time. Having said that, I always enjoyed the TE. Luis Silva was such a great football player and served as a great go-to man throughout my career. For all my football knowledge, I never figured out offense-line blocking protection, so I can't comment. I loved getting in the shotgun when we did (see Oklahoma State, Stephen F. Austin, and Northwest Louisiana in 1994). Maybe here's the best way to say it—I WOULD HAVE ABSOLUTELY LOVED PLAYING IN THIS OFFENSE... SPREAD 'EM OUT, BABY, GET IN SHOTGUN, AND LET'S CHUNK IT AROUND—BUT LET'S FIND A PLACE FOR BIG LOU!

4. I have always said about Freshman QBs—you won't believe how much better he'll be next year. At least I think that was my experience. You get thrown to the dogs and sometimes it gets ugly (his experience and mine are very similar in this way—we both got thrown to the dogs in the first year of a new system). But, you learn from every snap and get much better over the course of the next year. And guess what? It was Coach Dodge who came in after my pitiful freshman year and turned things around for me. Vizza will only get better, especially since the competition will only heat up (read Riley Dodge).

Hope that's helpful. Hang in there guys. This is going to get good. Stay positive.

A note unrelated to Dodge2007's questions: I know a lot of ya'll gripe about this and that... I guess that's your right as a fan... I'm just glad nobody at my church has started a GoFellowshipBibleChurch.com Message Board where folks in the congregation could get online, anonymously, and take their shots. Yikes! I imagine all of ya'll are glad that doesn't exists for your business either!

Take care,

Mitch Maher

I just am tired of all the race posts and want to talk about some offensive football from someone who has done it at UNT. THANKS Mitch.

Yes, I have been quite offended by this year's football team, but accusing Mitch Maher of playing the same kind of "offensive football" is just insulting!

Guest Aquila_Viridis

It is pretty cool that Mitch came on and answered those questions. I respect his optimism so his comments will probably take the edge off my despondence for a while. We'll see how it goes this week.