Alumni Side

Green Nightmare

Guest GrayEagleOne

We are not all alike. We are young, old, able-bodies, have physical problems. loud, soft-spoken, energetic, tired, tall, short, and on and on. That doesn't mean that anyone doesn't enjoy football who is less than the perfect cheering fan.

My wife and I are old. She can't stand for long periods of time because of her knees and I can't stand for a long time due to neuropathy in my feet. We both enjoy Mean Green football. She's been to more than a hundred games and I've been to more than two hundred and I'm not ready to quit yet. I think that we need fans at this juncture; not just fans that fit a certain mold.

I jump to my feet at great plays, stand and yell at opponents third downs, and gesture and yeall 'first down' at our every movement of the chains. Other than those times, (and yelling at the officials), I usually sit and enjoy the game. Sometimes, I will train my binoculars on a particular player and I can't do that very well standing.

People have usually been courteous and respectful and we appreciate that. The only real problem that we've encountered was the trip to OU in 2003 where our people not only stood the entire time but stood on the seats.

In a perfect world we would have a section (or sections) for those wanting to stand, with the shorter ones in front. Until then, let's just enjoy ourselves and try to be respectful of those who can no longer conform.

As someone who has resided on the student side for the last couple years I was shocked when on the alumni side how quiet it was?

Nothing going on 4th downs or finishing the north! Texas! chants

is this the norm?

Last night was NOT the norm. Usually it's a morgue. It was much rowdier than usual. There was a group in upper D that repeatedly did the "Defense" stomp, stomp thing. I've never seen that before. I was actually most impressed with the activity on the alumni side. I agree that the cheerleaders need to learn when it is appropriate to do "NORTH" "TEXAS". You don't do that during play. Save it for timeouts, changes of possession, change of quarter, etc.

What needs to be done is give the 2 cheerleading crews a cheap set of Walkie-Talkies so they can unify whatever chant they're trying to get us to do.

That's a great idea. Like these, they're only $19.99 a pair. Donations from this board could raise more than enough to purchase multiple sets of these. I've looked them up and will be glad to lead the project. I'll contact the cheer coach and the band director and someone at the athletic department where the channels don't interfere with game day operations or the coaching staff.

PW me if you want to help.

It's up to you as a MEAN GREEN FAN!

41jh6s33X-L__SS500_.jpg

Click on picture

Okay, let's take it easy on fellow fans, m'kay?

Look, we had a Top 10 all-time crowd attendance. That means there were probably people there who had never been to a UNT, or any college, football game before. If we're going to give the defensive coordinator all season to adjust to not scheming against Grapevine and Coppell, then give the new fans a chance to learn college football atmosphere.

Also, the alumni section is what it is - old people who can afford the best seats. Why pi*s these people off. They're the ones who are probably giving the most money to the program. If they want to sit, let them sit. If they want to stand, let them stand. If they want a hot dog and coke, offer to go get it for them. They're old. And, probably loaded. The department needs their money. Be nice to them.

Finally, there is nothing we can do about being so far from the field...or is there?

Follow me here, although understand it will never happen...

Before A&M expanded Kyle Field, they had that area behind one end zone with no seat. For big name opponents, they whipped out some portable bleachers and sold tickets, usually filling them up. I've seen this type of thing at other places with blank end zone at one end (Kansas State is another).

So, in my estimation, what the department needs to do is wheel in some portable bleachers to sit behind, and possibly around, the end zone. That way, at least some people would be close to the game and maybe even loud enough to make other teams have to audible.

Anyway, just my .02 cents...patience with new fans, respect the old people with money, and portable bleachers.

Lock box.

One other thing I have noticed is the fans are MUCH rowdier at away games. We've gone to several away games where our smaller NT group yelled their heads off for the most part. Is it easier to get a smaller crowd to respond? Or is it because those there are hard core MG fans? Also noticed the cheerleaders need help in knowing when to cheer and when not to. By the way, I stand up a lot and I yell, LOUDLY! Section D, Row 12, seats 29-32. See you in Arkansas.

GMG!

Edited by NTEdgex2

I'm another one of those with physical problems. Both hips have been replaced and it hurts to stand on hard surfaces for long periods. Nonetheless, I'm up and down...I just can't stand for the whole game. I watched most of the OU game on their big screen because the people around me stood most of the game and I couldn't. I am hoarse today from cheering last night; when my voice went (about the middle of the third quarter) I had to fall back on clapping.

This is just to point out to you younger people that things are not always what they appear to be. There are people like me who are not apathetic and would raise more hell if we could...and then there are a few who are indeed worthy of our scorn. Please investigate a little before determining into which category the old fart belongs.