Spring Football Daily Outlook - Offensive Line

MeanGreen61

Spring Football Daily Outlook

Courtesy: University of North Texas

Release: 04/16/2007

DENTON (4/11/07) - MeanGreenSports.com is previewing the 2007 North Texas football team with daily updates that will break down the team’s outlook by position. The updates will continue over the next seven days, leading up to the annual Green and White Game that will be played at Fouts Field on Sunday, April 22 at 3 p.m.

Offensive Line

The offensive line will begin as a patchwork project with the coaches trying to replace two long-time starters Dylan Lineberry and Joel Foster. Jeremy Brown who also started every game in 2006 has graduated from school and will not return to the team despite having one year of eligibility remaining. The two starters returning are Adam Venegas at guard and Chad Rose at center. Beginning his senior season, Venegas is expected to be a leader among the front five but will have to hold off some young talented players who will push him throughout the spring and fall.

Rose shared time at center last year with freshman Kelvin Drake and both players can play either center or guard depending on their performance during spring ball. At offensive tackle, North Texas will feature two new starters, but offensive line coach Spencer Leftwich is very optimistic about their ability to produce. Robert Peachy played in eight games last year and by the end of the season was very close to overtaking a starting spot.

Redshirt freshman Matt Menard has shown tremendous promise throughout the fall and will get plenty of reps during the spring. Josh Alexander is perhaps the most talented offensive lineman on the team, but missed all of last season with a knee injury that required off-season surgery. Alexander will also be out during spring practice and if he can successfully come back will be a factor at one of the tackle positions.Freshman Nick Foster redshirted during the fall, but will also challenge for significant playing time at guard. Jack Crumes is not participating in spring drills but is expected to add quality depth during the fall.

Head Coach Todd Dodge on Offensive Line

"What’s really exciting to me about this offensive line is the youth and their willingness to learn. They are working hard at learning a new scheme and with the number of young players we have, we know that will help us for a long time to come. The two tackles, Matt Menard and Robert Peachy don’t have a lot of game-experience, but they have made tremendous strides during spring practice. This offensive line is going against a very veteran and very accomplished defensive front every day in practice and they are holding their own. If we can get everyone healthy coming into the fall, we really believe that we will have the depth that we need to be successful.”

Edited by MeanGreen61

This story does not tell me much that I already know. One injury here or there

over the season, and we are possibly in trouble. As far as Josh Alexander, I read

his injury is still nagging him, and even though he wants to come back, getting

hurt again could be dangerous. He may not make it back at all.

So Peachy and Menard will be the starting tackles-which one is RT and LT?

Venegas will be one guard, and looks like Nick Foster will be the other.

Rose and Drake at center. Rose can go to G if needed.

What happened to Chris Eidd-I thought he was making strides also?

What about the back-ups- who/positions?

Banks is working on grades, so I hope he can come back in the fall.

I still say Matt Tomlinson, the recruit coming in this fall will see playing time.

Well, if these young guys can develop, NT could have a pretty good line

in the future. Add in some quality OL recruits in 2008, NT could really be

in good shape with the OL.

I agree w/your comments, although we don't want to have to play Tomlinson; I would rather see him sit out a year and spend it in the weight room - that would give us 4 years of a much better player and it would help him in the confidence department. Tomlinson is not a step right in and play guy IMHO...huge upside is that he could be a beast for 3-4 years if you handle it right...

OLine is still a major question mark in my mind. Hope I am wrong!

Guest GrayEagleOne

There are a lot of big IFs at this position and now would be the time for a couple of quality JUCO linemen but I doubt that they are available.

Best case scenario. Alexander makes it through the season without further injury and Banks gets his grades. Those two, along with Venegas, Drake and Rose would be a pretty formidable line. Foster, Peachy, Santiago, Menard and the freshman, J.J. Johnson look like quality backups for this year. Tomlinson may be in that group too but I'm hoping that he's redshirted until he gains weight and strength.

Worse case scenario. Banks doesn't make it back (and I've heard that's likely), Alexander's kneecap tendon doesn't hold. Peachy's injury doesn't fully heal. The tandem of Drake and Rose doesn't work well, leaving one to backup the other rather than play alongside. Foster comes in overweight. Santiago, although an HM offensive lineman in HS two years ago, has trouble adapting to offense again after practicing on defense last year.

Summary. Long on potential but short on experience. Several need another 10-20 pounds if they can keep their quick feet.