Nt Walk-ons

rcd12

Texas A&M Walk-On Program

A couple of months ago I had expressed my opinion that North Texas should take a more proactive approach in finding walk-ons out of the student body. Dickeys staff in my opinion did a terrible job with the walk-on program. Above I have posted a link that provides what I believe to be a blue-print to a successful walk-on program that I believe we should follow or at least somewhat replicate.

Edited by rcd12

Texas A&M Walk-On Program

A couple of months ago I had expressed my opinion that North Texas should take a more proactive approach in finding walk-ons out of the student body. Dickeys staff in my opinion did a terrible job with the walk-on program. Above I have posted a link that provides what I believe to be a blue-print to a successful walk-on program that I believe we should follow or at least somewhat replicate.

Dodge and his staff are attracting some key walk-ons already. I know of one DB who is considering transfering from another state just to walk on. You have no idea who your AD hired. Just sit back and relax and think of more ways you can enjoy being a fan. You no longer have to second guess every decision any longer. It's hard but you will learn that its much more fun.

Ya I know Fritzgerald and a few others. The big problem is busting your butt for a team who has not won many games and doesn't have tradition like A&M or UT. Then not to play much. Thats why A&M has a good program, people go to that schoolwanting to walk on to a great program that they wanted to play for for a long time. Maybe Dodge can change our prestige then people will want to walk on.

IM not saying I know all about.

You completely misunderstood my position. I 'am merely pointing out something that the old staff neglected in the past, not questioning Dodge. How could I do that when the guy hasn't even been in office a month. Just bringing up something that I hope the new staff will consider and a medium for doing so in my above example, that's all.

Edited by rcd12

Not to answer for Cool, but my post supports the idea that we have a lot more to look forward to than we have in the past, that we need to get used to EXPECTING positive results, etc. I do not believe this is going to be easy. We have a big hole to dig out of, but I do think we are heading in a direction that is way beyond where we have been recently. This Coach has high expectations and vision, and a plan to accomplish his goals for NT.

Some reaction to early recruiting news and coach selection, I think, is just part of the culture of pessimism that this program has spawned over the last few years.

I think Cool was commenting that you should EXPECT more, and not be too disappointed if it comes true.

GMG

You completely misunderstood my position. I 'am merely pointing out something that the old staff neglected in the past, not questioning Dodge. How could I do that when the guy hasn't even been in office a month. Just bringing up something that I hope the new staff will consider and a medium for doing so in my above example, that's all.

20-30 walk-ons came out every year for the past 4 years so it must not be to hard for them. The NCAA is the body that states what a walk-on must do not the staff.

Edited by PHSCoach

Have you played or know someone who has? I myself have spoken with the staff and I know a few others who have as well on the matter, and it wasn't that simple.

I thought the hang up was getting in the door and through Nate Dogg....

The old staff had some additional policies on their own in addition to NCAA regulations. You all are blowing my comments out of proportion. I meant for this thread to be supplemental to an earlier one that was presented on the matter. Just wanted to provide an example to the previous discussion.

The old staff had some additional policies on their own in addition to NCAA regulations. You all are blowing my comments out of proportion. I meant for this thread to be supplemental to an earlier one that was presented on the matter. Just wanted to provide an example to the previous discussion.

rcd12

My bad. My comments were not intended to blow yours out of proportion. You had a very good point with the walk-on suggestion.

What I should have said is that TD honors the worst player on the roster as much as he does the superstars. He honors the scout team as much as the first team. I know one talented player considering moving to Denton to walk-on and play for TD and crew. Finding ways to make it even more rewarding for walk-ons could be huge.

One point that I was makeing was the TD typically thinks about everyting days and weeks in advance. He's human, but seldom will you find that he failed to think about something, even walk-ons.

Well put. I can't really comment about anything Dodge related because I really don't know much about him other than what I have read, so I really wasn't commenting on the new staff. I appreciate your insight however.

Edited by rcd12

• 1 month later...

Same program as the last 4 years with same requirements

Wrong. Similar requirements as last 4 years, but there was not an open tryout for all interested full-time students. This new system includes a tryout. Also the old system required a student to be in good academic standing (2.0), this one requires a 2.25 GPA (a positive).

Edited by rcd12