To potential recruits reading this board

stebo

I thought it would be cool to let members of the Mean Green Nation express (intelligently) why they would choose to be Mean Green if they were a recruit faced with the decision of choosing a school. What makes NT the best choice?

I'll start - progress. North Texas has shown the ability to move up the ranks and beat the CUSA champ in a bowl game a couple of years ago. You will have an excellent shot at immediate playing time, especially with a new coach coming in. New coaches generally review very little game tape and tend to make their own evaluations, despite tenure on the team. If you are faced with choosing between NT and a big school, can they guarantee you that you will ever even play? We can (and even get on the field as a freshman if you have what it takes, the slate is clean). If you are choosing between NT and another mid major (WAC, CUSA, MAC, MWC, etc...) - you are going to have to evaulate that school's dedication to being a winning program. The fact that we let a coach go that had been with us nine years, won 4 straight conference titles, and slipped for two seasons - shows our tremendous effort to raise our program to the next level. Take a look at our new facilities and at the excitement on game day. I don't think that you will find a more passionate fan base then that of the Mean Green. We really want to win, we have a chip on our shoulders. Wouldn't you like to be the class that got things back on track?

I am sure that the other posters will post a lot more to sell the program, their experiences as a fan - maybe give some recruits a lesson in our proud history of the 60's, 70's, and the Aughts. Go at it guys - we really aren't sure who is being contacted right now by staff but we know that recruits read these message boards. Sell North Texas.

Excellently put, Stebo. Might also include for those in the metroplex area you are close enough to home to get help when needed but far enough away that mom and dad are not looking over your shoulder and you are allowed to grow up. The location also allows your family and friends to attend all home games and hopefully some road games (SMU, TCU, Baylor, etc.).

Not to mention the hope of the prettiest girls in Texas.

Revised to accomodate what I think is the theme of this thread...

I still do defer to the signature below this post; and thats whether UNT hires the great Todd Dodge, former NFL'er Harbaugh, Jerry Glanville or Elvis "The King" himself (who Glanville if he were HFC would always make sure always has a ticket waiting for him at Fouts or at our future new UNT football stadium (palace) out on that prime interstate real estate, located between those 2 Texas interstates that run thru the western part of our campus and evey bit of that on that rolling Texas prairie land we now call the Mean Green Village.

GUARANTEED GOOD TIMES AHEAD FOR ALL WHO JOIN OUR GROWING MEAN GREEN NATION!

PS: LongJim, is it you I can thank for the Chief Quanah Parker icon under my moniker? smile.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I think you missed the point PMG...back to the thread...

This definitely is a program where a player can come, make some magic, and be remembered by fellow alumni for a long time in legend status...

examples from recent memory:

James Mitchell in the "mud game"

Scott Hall "miracle in the desert"

Brandon Kennedy "the sack, fumble, recovery play"

Jamario Thomas against Colorado

Chris Hurd walk on player who started on a dominate defense

Patrick Cobbs "He disappeared" play

so many examples to choose from...some certain plays, some careers, most of the time both...

Great idea stebo...

To any recruits: You can't ask for a more dedicated university when it comes to giving you an education. North Texas staff is friendly, knowledgeable, and committed to making sure that while you're learning the game of football, you're also learning life lessons and getting an education that will serve you well whether you end up a pro athlete or not.

Here's a few highlights on university academics:

* Top accounting program

* Top music program

* Top environmental science program

* Accredited and well-regarded business school

* Top emergency management program

* High-level scientific research community

Academics will serve you well in the long run, whether you see it now or not. Choose an institution that cares about you not only as a football player, but as a student and as an individual. North Texas prides itself on diversity - you have thousands of students ready to accept you for who you are and to help you find a place in this world.

Go Mean Green!

Excellently put, Stebo.  Might also include for those in the metroplex area you are close enough to home to get help when needed but far enough away that mom and dad are not looking over your shoulder and you are allowed to grow up.  The location also allows your family and friends to attend all home games and hopefully some road games (SMU, TCU, Baylor, etc.).

Not to mention the hope of the prettiest girls in Texas.

---We have had a couple of Miss Americas and a whole bunch of girls in the Miss Texas contests.

See this for an "example".

http://www.athlonsports.com/college-footba...&participant=39

And please vote for for this UNT girl from West Texas.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

Don't forget that North Texas has the #1 graduation rate among student-athletes of any Public Div. I-A school.

Some North Texas firsts from Wikipedia:

First jazz studies program in the U.S., which is consistently ranked the nation's best.

First emergency administration and disaster prevention program in the U.S.

First peace studies program in the Southwest.

First oil and petroleum accounting program in the U.S.

First patent for silicon-based ultra-sensitive chemical sensor for use in integrated circuit fabrication.

First business computer information systems program in the U.S.

First PhD program in art education in the U.S.

First bachelor's degree in electronic merchandising in the U.S.

First online school library preparation program in the U.S.

First accredited counseling program in the U.S., which still ranks among the nation's best.

First school in the country to offer a degree in Mechanical and Energy Engineering

First college in the South to integrate; Class of 1956 was first integrated graduating class.

First football team in modern history to go to a bowl game after posting a losing overall record. The Mean Green finished 5-6 overall in 2001 but won the Sun Belt with a 5-1 conference record, thus earning an automatic bid to the New Orleans Bowl.

Also, here is a list of notable alumni, also from Wikipedia:

Athletics

"Stone Cold" Steve Austin, professional wrestler

Toby Gowin, NFL punter

"Mean" Joe Greene, NFL Hall of famer, NFL defensive tackle and assistant coach

Abner Haynes, AFL and NFL running back

Don January, PGA Senior Tour golfer

Billy Maxwell, PGA Senior Tour golfer

Ray Renfro, NFL wide receiver

Ron Shanklin, NFL receiver and former All-Pro player

David Von Erich, deceased professional wrestler dubbed the "Yellow Rose of Texas"

Kevin Von Erich, real name Kevin Adkisson; professional wrestler dubbed "the Golden Warrior", brother of David Von Erich

Tra Telligman, UFC Fighter, dubbed Tra "Trauma" Telligman

Eric Pegram, NFL running back

Arts and media

Joe Don Baker, film actor

Joseph Patrick Cranshaw film actor, best known as "Blue" from movie "Old School"

Shirley Cothran Barret, Miss America 1975

Joan Blondell, film and television actress

Pat Boone, pop and gospel singer, actor and television personality

Mike Cochran, journalist, author and Pulitzer Prize winner

Brave Combo, Grammy-winning polka rock band

Rogers Cadenhead, author of computer books, Web publisher and member of the RSS Advisory Board

Thomas Haden Church, film and television actor

Bob Dorough, bebop and jazz pianist/vocalist who wrote and sang many of the Schoolhouse Rock songs

George Dunham, sports radio talk-show host and "voice of the Mean Green Radio Network"

Bobby Fuller, rock singer/guitarist best known for his band's cover of "I Fought the Law"

O'Neil Ford, major regional architect whose works include San Antonio's Tower of the Americas

Phyllis George, Miss America 1971, actress and broadcaster

G. Harvey, oil painter and sculptor specializing in Southwestern art

Kyle Hebert, voice actor

Don Henley, singer/songwriter and drummer, both solo and with The Eagles

Buddy Hickerson, creator of the syndicated comic strip The Quigmans

Sara Hickman, folk singer/songwriter

Ray Wylie Hubbard, country music singer

Norah Jones, Grammy-winning pianist and singer-songwriter

Scott Kurtz, creator of the webcomic PvP

Michael Lark, comic book artist

T. Lewis, illustrator of the comic strip Over the Hedge

Tom "Bones" Malone, jazz trombonist; played with the Saturday Night Live and Late Show house bands, and with The Blues Brothers

"Blue Lou" Marini, saxophonist; played with the Saturday Night Live house band and the Blues Brothers

Lyle Mays, composer/keyboardist with the Pat Metheny Group

Meat Loaf, rock singer and film actor

R.K. Milholland, creator of webcomics Something Positive, New Gold Dreams and Midnight Macabre

Jesus Bautista Moroles, granite sculptor

Bill Moyers, journalist and commentator

Dr. Phil McGraw, television personality and psychologist

Larry McMurtry, novelist, essayist and screenwriter; won a Pulitzer Prize for the novel Lonesome Dove, and an Academy Award for the screenplay of Brokeback Mountain

Roy Orbison, rock singer/songwriter

J.D. Reid, Texas-based freelance writer, often featured in AmericanWay Magazine

Bob Ray Sanders, Coulumnist, Editor, and Vice President for the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, TV personality, Known and requested Public Speaker

Ann Sheridan, film actress

Clinton Howard Swindle, journalist and author

M.B. Tankersley, poet

Peter Weller, film actor; star of RoboCop

Noble Willingham, television and film actor known for his role on Walker, Texas Ranger

Business

Byron Baird, CEO of Mrs. Baird's Bakeries (now owned by Grupo Bimbo)

Rhys Best, president of Lone Star Steel Company

Mike R. Bowlin, chairman of ARCO

Frank D. Bracken, president of Haggar Company

Norm Miller, president of Interstate Batteries; co-founder of the Great Race

Linda Hefner Woltz, president/CEO of Sara Lee Hosiery

Wende Zomnir, founding partner and executive creative director of Urban Decay Cosmetics

Politics

Michael C. Burgess, current congressman for the 26th Texas district, which includes UNT

John Creuzot, judge in Dallas' Criminal District Court No. 4

Jim Hightower, populist activist and former Texas agriculture commissioner

Ray Roberts, former congressman from Denton; nearby Lake Ray Roberts is named for him

Dick Armey, former majority leader for the 26th Texas district, which includes UNT, former economics professor and wrestling coach at North Texas

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_University_of_North_Texas_people"

Also, here is a list of notable alumni, also from Wikipedia:

Athletics

"Stone Cold" Steve Austin, professional wrestler

Toby Gowin, NFL punter

"Mean" Joe Greene, NFL Hall of famer, NFL defensive tackle and assistant coach

Abner Haynes, AFL and NFL running back

Don January, PGA Senior Tour golfer

Billy Maxwell, PGA Senior Tour golfer

Ray Renfro, NFL wide receiver

Ron Shanklin, NFL receiver and former All-Pro player

David Von Erich, deceased professional wrestler dubbed the "Yellow Rose of Texas"

Kevin Von Erich, real name Kevin Adkisson; professional wrestler dubbed "the Golden Warrior", brother of David Von Erich

Tra Telligman, UFC Fighter, dubbed Tra "Trauma" Telligman

Eric Pegram, NFL running back

Arts and media

Joe Don Baker, film actor

Joseph Patrick Cranshaw film actor, best known as "Blue" from movie "Old School"

Shirley Cothran Barret, Miss America 1975

Joan Blondell, film and television actress

Pat Boone, pop and gospel singer, actor and television personality

Mike Cochran, journalist, author and Pulitzer Prize winner

Brave Combo, Grammy-winning polka rock band

Rogers Cadenhead, author of computer books, Web publisher and member of the RSS Advisory Board

Thomas Haden Church, film and television actor

Bob Dorough, bebop and jazz pianist/vocalist who wrote and sang many of the Schoolhouse Rock songs

George Dunham, sports radio talk-show host and "voice of the Mean Green Radio Network"

Bobby Fuller, rock singer/guitarist best known for his band's cover of "I Fought the Law"

O'Neil Ford, major regional architect whose works include San Antonio's Tower of the Americas

Phyllis George, Miss America 1971, actress and broadcaster

G. Harvey, oil painter and sculptor specializing in Southwestern art

Kyle Hebert, voice actor

Don Henley, singer/songwriter and drummer, both solo and with The Eagles

Buddy Hickerson, creator of the syndicated comic strip The Quigmans

Sara Hickman, folk singer/songwriter

Ray Wylie Hubbard, country music singer

Norah Jones, Grammy-winning pianist and singer-songwriter

Scott Kurtz, creator of the webcomic PvP

Michael Lark, comic book artist

T. Lewis, illustrator of the comic strip Over the Hedge

Tom "Bones" Malone, jazz trombonist; played with the Saturday Night Live and Late Show house bands, and with The Blues Brothers

"Blue Lou" Marini, saxophonist; played with the Saturday Night Live house band and the Blues Brothers

Lyle Mays, composer/keyboardist with the Pat Metheny Group

Meat Loaf, rock singer and film actor

R.K. Milholland, creator of webcomics Something Positive, New Gold Dreams and Midnight Macabre

Jesus Bautista Moroles, granite sculptor

Bill Moyers, journalist and commentator

Dr. Phil McGraw, television personality and psychologist

Larry McMurtry, novelist, essayist and screenwriter; won a Pulitzer Prize for the novel Lonesome Dove, and an Academy Award for the screenplay of Brokeback Mountain

Roy Orbison, rock singer/songwriter

J.D. Reid, Texas-based freelance writer, often featured in AmericanWay Magazine

Bob Ray Sanders, Coulumnist, Editor, and Vice President for the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, TV personality, Known and requested Public Speaker

Ann Sheridan, film actress

Clinton Howard Swindle, journalist and author

M.B. Tankersley, poet

Peter Weller, film actor; star of RoboCop

Noble Willingham, television and film actor known for his role on Walker, Texas Ranger

Business

Byron Baird, CEO of Mrs. Baird's Bakeries (now owned by Grupo Bimbo)

Rhys Best, president of Lone Star Steel Company

Mike R. Bowlin, chairman of ARCO

Frank D. Bracken, president of Haggar Company

Norm Miller, president of Interstate Batteries; co-founder of the Great Race

Linda Hefner Woltz, president/CEO of Sara Lee Hosiery

Wende Zomnir, founding partner and executive creative director of Urban Decay Cosmetics

Politics

Michael C. Burgess, current congressman for the 26th Texas district, which includes UNT

John Creuzot, judge in Dallas' Criminal District Court No. 4

Jim Hightower, populist activist and former Texas agriculture commissioner

Ray Roberts, former congressman from Denton; nearby Lake Ray Roberts is named for him

Dick Armey, former majority leader for the 26th Texas district, which includes UNT, former economics professor and wrestling coach at North Texas

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_University_of_North_Texas_people"

IMHO.................worth repeating.smile.gif

Start talking to most non-UNT'ers and they will look at you in disbelief when you start talking about many of the above rich and famous fellow North Texas Exes of ours and the fact that they attended North Texas. blink.gif

Sitting in 'Fessor Floyd Graham's Music Appreciation class the first semester (Spring, 1972) I was at UNT and when he started talking about the time he put NT students Roy Orbision and Pat Boone in some quartet surely got my undivided attention.

Then years after Roy Orbison had passed away, one of his best friends from Wink (TX) described in a Dallas Morning New feature this: "Roy didn't start all that high "falsetto" style of singing that made him famous until he went to that school in Denton, Texas." NOTE: The late Roy Orbison's son lives here in Parker County. cool.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

When I lived in Denton, I bought a small house to start off in... there was a nice old couple that lived across the street and I couldn't get a direct line of sight for my DISH, so they let me put it in their yard (with a LONG ass cable all the way to my house, lol!) - Anyways, I was talking with him one day and he told me that the house that I had just bought had a little history to it - evidently Pat Boone had buiilt it years ago and they had been neighbors.... pretty cool, I bought Pat Boone's old house. Denton and North Texas have a ton of history - people just need to be educated about it.