Ranking The Sun Belt Coaches

MeanGreen61

Fire when ready !

user posted image

http://www.collegefootballnews.com/2006/Co...hes_SunBelt.htm

Best Coach – Darrell Dickey, North Texas – Last fall was an unmitigated nightmare in Denton for North Texas, but it’s going to take a few more 2-9 seasons to knock its coach from his perch. For four years leading up to 2005, Dickey was the only Coach of the Year the Sun Belt had ever known and the Mean Green its only champion in football. And in conference that’s become synonymous with mediocrity, that’s more than enough to stave off challenges from the likes of Troy’s Larry Blakeney and Arkansas State’s Steve Roberts

subtract 2500 fans per game per 2-9 season   mad.gif

And apparently CFN does not have in its library the latest edition of an NT football media guide to see see which (now but then 1-AA) SBC schools beat "the 2'nd Coming of Vince Lombardy's" teams during at least 2 of his bowl years?

Also...................if CFN only had the latest edition of an NT football media guide they might also stumble onto fact that the SBC's FAU Coach Howard Schnellenberger has yet to lose to Dickey Ball.

I did hear a rumor that CFN does have numerous copies of Andersen's Fairy Tales that they allegedly use as their reference guide when talking about the mid (to lower) majors of NCAA D1-A, though, such as those in the SBC/Bottom 10.

Sorry to disagree with some of you, but not quite everyone on this board subscribes to the theory that DD is the answer to breaking Mean Green football into the Top 75 schools of NCAA D1-A. Still being almost 20 games under .500 after 8 years in Denton would be a red flag at most all other NCAA D1-A outposts to suggest that something just quite ain't right, eh?

Now if some of you who like such annual finishes of between #90 thru #117 for UNT's college football co-existance, then you (and what I feel will continue to be a noticeable in the stands diminishing number) will have just what the doctor ordered for your college football needs and expectations in Denton, Texas, America.

A question some might have for a hardy handful is: Why are you allowing NT leaders to force-feed status quo college football on our fan base while setting low goals and having very little expectation for Mean Green football beyond an SBC/Bottom 10 success? Are we all just being lulled to sleep in Denton and being victims of what I have heard some of you for years call the "Denton malaise?"

Have A Nice Day!:)

Signed: PMG of NT's growing Focker Family.

(But really now, did DD have some more edifying word(s) to say about NT fans who have the unadulterated audacity to expect much more than what he seems to be capable of producing in Denton (even at an SBC/Bottom 10 lower level) and he even saying things in public after the Winter, I mean, Green/White Spring Football game?

If so, the saddest part of all this kind of behavior still remains that leaders of UNT keep allowing this overly paid journeyman assistant football coach Kansan public relations disaster of a goof ball to continue his non-stop rant among Mean Green fans. Mean Green football fans and some of our best who most always have their kids within earshot of anything DD would say to his team inside a football stadium setting.

Jeez! Does ol' DD think he has ex TV secret agent Maxwell Smart's "cone of silence" over him every time he decides to go into a string of expletives or something about his employers or UNT fandom? Guess the upside of this latest episode from DD (if it truly did happen as some of you suggest it did) is that this time around (at least) it wasn't beamed out on the Mean Green Radio Network for the whole DFW Metroplex (or those who listen to MG football) to have to listent to. (Funny how one fellow NT alum told me that DD once was supposed to have said that he could not understand why NT football season ticket sales are so low:( Wonder if he might need one big hint as to one of the prime reasons they are?

We all have a fellow Parker County NT Ex who will no longer come to MG football games after he heard on one post game show a condescending verbal tirade aimed at UNT and UNT alums from DD couple years ago. Yes, it is true, that NT Ex is one of our borderline/causual type MG fans, but DD didn't have to say much to turn that NT Ex in a southward mode (instead of northerly direction toward Fouts Field).

That particular NT casual fan is also not a fan of Dickey Ball or the kind of offense that DD directs, either, so that just added fuel to his fire for him to swear off MG football until DD is history. So does anyone else think that that particular NT Ex/borderline/causal MG football fan is alone with the way he feels over all the post-game radio rants the last 5 years running, ie, all the NT alumnus put-downs? FWIW, don't we most always have about 15,000 filled (or 15K empty seats, whatever) at most NT football games?sad.gif And isn't it the borderline/casual MG fans that many on this board have said could make the big difference with all those seats that are not filled at Fouts Field each Game Day?

To those of you who keep telling many of us "this too shall pass" and those who will simply bide time until all this passes thru Denton....................well, we are taking your word on that.smile.gif If 4 bowl games can't get our football program but a few mere scattered votes over a 4 year period for Top 25 consideration when MAC schools and former Big West schools seemedly haven't had any problems breaking into that elite group, then doesn't something seem a bit out of order about all this going on up in Denton at the present; that is, what 4 bowl game appearances by the SBC's 4 X's "Coach of the Year" have not been able to produce for Mean Green football?

Don't forget that this was once a proud Mean Green football program that even saw NCAA Division One Top 20 rankings back in another day. Anyone have a problem getting back to that level of quality once again or is Dickey Ball going to be just enough to float some of your boats? I bet I know what kind of football (with poll results) that most of you would prefer.

Yet CFN needs someone from NT Athletics to just send them a recent copy of our Mean Green football media guide and then the good folks of CFN merely need to throw away all their copies of Andersen's Fairy Tales when it comes to their reporting on NCAA D1-A mid-to-lower majors (SBC/Bottom 10) with their own pre-conceived perceptions and their reporting of such perceptions.

Sorry, but I still defer to the below stated "War & Peace" signature and will till what needs to be done is done in Mean Green Country. It's just my .02 cents on our present plight in Denton, that's all.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

PMG's posts are so long that the scroll wheel on my mouse is wearing out from trying to skip past them.

my middle finger is cramping from scrolling so far. If I cant give the other motorists my all on the trip home I am blaming PMG.

Edited by bigrobdsp

Plummeangreen--

Another Interesting Post, again!!

My question along with others who want to see UNT gain "National" status again is, "Does the main brunt of the problems emanate with DD alone or does it originate with the BOR/AD for allowing the "status quo" to continue past its "crash-burn-die phase?"

Nationally, other programs "terminate" coaches with better records than what DD has been able to produce over his tenure at UNT, period!!!

Many of us do not want the, "Wait until next year" approach to see what happens and then evaluate what happens. There are many individuals who have proven track records as head coaches (good or bad) that can bring us out of this "Dante's Inferno" of this current malaise that we find ourselves in.

1. "Status Quo" ain't workin'.

2. #107 out of 117 D-1A teams is embarrasing! (maybe #140 including D-1AA).

3. Our OOC record over 8 years is abysmal!!

4. Playing major BCS schools have NOT brought in the talent that can take us to the promise land. (maybe we have the talent but can not coach it correctly or develop plays that take advantage of the talent or lack thereof???)

5. P.R. from the current Administration, DD/RV/BOR, is "terroristic" to the advancement of our program!!

6. If this current administration wants to keep UNT in "STATUS QUO" then we, as alum, have just been "Brokeback Mountained" by our university fathers!!

Don Strock is the guy to watch out for.

The book on Strock was that he was going to have to dumb down the playbook to ever make it as a college coach. He didn't dumb it down and it showed at times (8 turnovers in a three point loss against UNT, 5 turnovers in a 5 point loss to Troy, and another six earlier that led to a rout at ASU) but the Panthers started putting it together late in the season winning four of their last five including a first ever win over FAU.