We have turned the corner on support...

kj86

17K+ on a Tuesday night at 6:30 with a 1-2 record?

Even before last night, I believed the program had reached the point where we will draw very well if the product is descent. No more complaining about students, faculty, lack of promotions, the Denton community, alumni, etc. The program now has support from an attendance standpoint (financial is still a ways off).

If we had come into last night's game at 2-1 after beating MTSU and Tulsa and staying within 14 points of KSU, there would have been well over 20K on hand. You could not have said that 3 years ago. We must maintain the momentum.

Keep it up RV!

the attendence will be no where close to that come our next home game.  All i heard from everyone near me is how they will not be returning to see such crap again. 

Besides... trend shows that we never maintain such numbers.

I dunno, these fans aren't very predictable. I think it all depends on how we do the rest of the year and whether or not we're competing for a conference title come november 5th. I'm amazed that we have more than 12k in attendance after the bomb we dropped against Tulsa a few weeks ago in front of 23, 000.

I was very impressed with the crowd. I think the students are figuring out the whole "Support your University" concept and I think you'll still see a decent turnout from them. They really seemed to have embraced the Tailgating concept.

You'll always have Fair Weather Fans who'll drop out when we're not winning, but I think more and more people are coming for the Game Day atmosphere which is really done well. The kids that are there don't give a crap about who wins and loses. I was in the Jr Mean Green Club area with my 3yr old and I spoke to a little girl who was probably 6 or 7, and she was SO excited that she got to go on the field at half time and that she had a player as her Buddy.

I had a great time yesterday and so did my friends. That we lost was unfortunate, but we'll still go back.

Years ago we would not have the kind of support we've got now. Especially the way the season is turning out.

Edited by Mad Hatter

the attendence will be no where close to that come our next home game.  All i heard from everyone near me is how they will not be returning to see such crap again. 

Besides... trend shows that we never maintain such numbers.

I'm not talking about the fair-weather spare. I'm talking in general, from an overall perspective. You're right, there will be fewer people for the rest of THIS season, but the interest amongst all the various facets of fandom has increased. Not that it can't change back to the way it was 4 or 5 years ago, but if we keep the momentum going, it will only get better.