My Trip to the MIDDLE!

FirefightnRick

We had a fantastic time in Murfreesboro. The Blue Raider alumni and fans just about rolled out the red carpet for us. I want to thank Lucky Dan(Owner of the Hillbilly Hilton), KajunRaider, SpaceRaider and everyone in between who were absolutey first class to all of us. I can't say enough how great these people were to us. I' have some photos up later on with some of the folks we met.

By the way, I haven't been to the florida schools yet, but Murfreesborro may have the second largest collection of natural talent in conference next to Denton. As a member who grew up in the 70's it brings a tear to my eye to see the toob top come back in full fashion!

I also want to thank SoundMan for twoing that big ass smoke pit over 1200 miles roundtrip. The briskette was great and many of our Raider friends appreciated it too.

The Game:

I can't tell you how damn proud I am of Danny Meager. He played within himself, didn't hurt the team one bit and showed us flashes of what he can do with the ball. You got a sens of the offense finally coming together late in the second half and you have to believe it was them becoming more and more comfortable with their new QB. The Meager Era has begun.

As for the offense and the blandness of it? I thought we threw more than I thought we would(16) and now we know what this offense is capable of. I just don't think DD was going to show his full hand with our two backs just yet and that may be the case.

What else can you say for Kenny Evans and his young defense? Just amazing. I knew from the very first series when Middle had the ball that we could possibly have the potential to do something when TJ came up on those first two swing passes and nearly broke the recievers legs as soon as he caught the ball. Many of us cricise and question why the coaches are so harsh on this team during two a days. Two hundred plus play scrimmages, full contact all week that cause probably more injuries prior to games than we can afford? But you have to feel that they must do it for a reason, that reason to me is to toughen the team up. And with such a young defense I think this paid off saturday. They didn't look tired even though they were on the field most of the night. You have to get this feeling, and Emmitt and I told many Raider fans this on Saturday, that the Sunbelt had better find someone to beat us this season because it may be their last best chance for a while as this defense is going to be very good in the years to come.

It was great to once again see Byron Gross at the game and looks as if he could suit up and go right now. He doesn't live too far away from the Murf and has attended this game all three trips. Also it was a pleasant surprise to see and talk with the great Scott Davis and son. They traveled with the team to the game and had a great time.

What can you say about Andy Mac? I may never criticise the Buick on our play calling agian? Some may disagree with me here but while down by 7, with the ball 4th and 2 inside the NT 10?, against a team he had never beaten before and everyone and God himself watching knows that if he doesn't win this game, his job is in real trouble......and he kicks for 3, with 8 minutes to go? I have to ask, what did he have to lose going for the first? Middle had their way all night on offense, this was the end of a 72 yard drive. They had converted two or three 4th and 1's previously on the night. If they don't make it then NT has it's back up aginst it's own goal line. What have you got to lose there? I knew when they missed that field goal after the kick that Middle had rolled over and died right there. The team, and the fans gave up on Coach Mac at that point.

You have to feel for our friends at MTSU. They have great fans, they have great tailgating events, they have great, great facilities in which Floyed Stadium puts Fouts to complete shame. Floyd's open air suites are just fantastic for their owners to watch and you can see why they are all sold out because of their lure of convenience and great sightlines. The Middle has just about everything an up and comer needs but they don't have a coach. And now I'm convinced of that after saturday.

All in all it was a great trip and our group all got home safe. On the way there and back we witnessed two blown tires right in front of us. One was a mini van coming back, but the first one was when two Miami police cars heading East Bound past us going ? 90, 100 mph? and the lead one was pulling a motorcycle trailer in which a tire on the trailer blew causing everyone to have to dodge the tire, and him to nearly lose the trailer. During the tailgaiting day The Cocunut Bay Cafe was handing out free beer tokens to everyone. I had a pocket full so we took full advantage of that after the game.

Fantastic Road Trip!

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick