Little trivia for you - Does anyone watch...

stebo

I was really into the Steve Martin produced show "The Scholar" - basically it was a reality show but for high school overachievers that needed money for college. Anyways, the season finale was last night and every kid pretty much got "something" as a surprise for being a runner-up starting at $20K going up to $250K. One of the finalists was a kid that is a cheerleader in highschool (male) and he won $50K towards his college future. As the show was ending it showed where each kid would end up... I mean these kids were the cream of the crop in the nation... all with high GPA's and high SAT scores... among schools like Yale, Harvard, and Columbia (schools that other kids had chosen to go to) - the kid Gerald listed the good old University of North Texas as his college choice. I was very, very proud indeed.

Edited by stebo

I was really into the Steve Martin produced show "The Scholar" - basically it was a reality show but for high school overachievers that needed money for college.  Anyways, the season finale was last night and every kid pretty much got "something" as a surprise for being a runner-up starting at $20K going up to $250K.  One of the finalists was a kid that is a cheerleader in highschool (male) and he won $50K towards his college future.  As the show was ending it showed where each kid would end up... I mean these kids were the cream of the crop in the nation... all with high GPA's and high SAT scores... among schools like Yale, Harvard, and Columbia (schools that other kids had chosen to go to) - the kid Brian listed the good old University of North Texas as his college choice.  I was very, very proud indeed.

yep, I was flipping channels and watched this for the last 20 minutes or so and saw that kid picked NT. I was amazed - and this is a nationally televised show - GREAT exposure for the school. I was going to post something about it today as well but just forgot about it this morning.

This was posted on the show blog!!

I am wondering if anyone knows why Gerald chose a less selective university. No offence to anyone who attended/is attending that college but there are other more competitive public colleges in Texas.

Short Answer: He did his homework.

Long Answer: Gerald is a very smart young man. Instead of being a follower and ignorantly selecting a university based predominantly on reputation, he actually researched the strengths and weaknesses of schools. I do not know Gerald so I cannot speak for him but my guess is that he was drawn to the university’s world renowned music program. Did you know that the University of North Texas has the best Jazz program in the country, arguably in the world? You probably did not. Since US News started rating Jazz programs in 1994, the University of North Texas has been rated # 1 in the country every year. Did you know that their public administration degree emphasizing city management and urban policy is in the top 10 in the country according to US News? You probably did not. Did you know their graduate counseling program is rated in the top 20 in the country by US News? You probably did not. Did you know that UNT is home to the Texas Academy of Math and Science (TAMS)? You probably do not even know what TAMS is. Did you know that they have a nationally competitive debate team? Once again you probably did not. The list goes on but you get the picture. Gerald, unlike most students who blindly attend schools based on perceived prestige, actually chose the university that best suits his needs and interests. He chose the school that will give him the foundation he needs to succeed in life, the University of North Texas.

user posted image

Growing up in the small town of Commerce, Texas has not been easy on Gerald, a highly gifted African American student. In spite of the occasional brushes with overt racism throughout his high school experience, Gerald maintains a cheery disposition and has never let the threat of other people's ignorance stand in the way of anything he sets out to do. His 3.914 GPA and Advanced Placement course load leave little time to pursue outside interests, but Gerald has always found time to participate in activities that feed his mind and speak to his soul. A proud member of the color guard at his school and the varsity mascot for the last two years, Gerald also plays the saxophone, piano, drums and guitar. Addicted to the positive energy and thrill of performing, he hopes to one day to make it to Broadway.

That blog is incorrect, while Gerald did get the consolation prize of $20K, he won a separate prize during the show which was a grant for almost $30K... he has $50K to spend on college. Plus a new laptop.

I actually watched the show every week.