DRC-NT Womens BB rebuilding mode with 8 freshmen

OldTimer

Graduation puts Lady Eagles in rebuilding mode

UNT will need help from some of its eight freshmen recruits to succeed

10/13/2002

By Tim MacMahon / Staff Writer

There were times last season, coach Tina Slinker admits, that she and her staff really didn?t have to do much coaching. That?s what happens when you have six seniors on the team.

The opposite is true this season, with an eight-player freshman class making up the majority of the Lady Eagles? roster. Slinker welcomes the challenge of preparing a new crop of players.

"It?s been wonderful motivation for all of us," said Slinker, whose program is rebuilding after making trips to the WNIT the last two years. "They?re so willing to learn. At the same time, they?re young and need to be taught. There?s a sense of excitement that we haven?t had because we had older kids. Youth brings energy."

Slinker and her staff will probably need all the energy they can muster this season, along with plenty of patience. After a five-week crash course in college basketball ? which began with the first official practice of the season Saturday ? several of the rookies will be relied on to make immediate impacts.

Jamie Armstrong, a 5-11 forward from Duncanville whom recruiting analysts consider the jewel of the class, admits that she shares some trepidation with her classmates about making the transition from high school to college. There is strength in numbers, however.

"It?s going to be tough," Armstrong said. "We?re all kind of scared, but we?ve got to push through it. We?re all trying to adjust, but we?re pushing each other and trying to make each other better."

The freshmen are eager to follow the lead of the few veterans on the team. After taking a backseat the last few seasons, forward Angel Lewis understands the importance of helping guide her green teammates.

"Their progression is going to be a big part of how successful we are," said Lewis, one of the team?s two seniors. "We?ve got to lead by example more than anything. They?re new. We have to help them out in every avenue possible."

A freshman will start at point guard for the Lady Eagles this season, though Slinker doesn?t yet know which one. She has three to choose from: Erika Bobo, Nahogany Brown and Natalie Mireles. All three will probably play this season, though Brown is less than eight months removed from reconstructive knee surgery and might redshirt.

"From day one, one of the three will have to prove they can do it," Slinker said. "But they complement each other. I like that about them."

Guard Mian Williams and forward Kennethia Wilson are expected to be a part of the regular rotation.

Armstong "has the ability to be a key factor pretty early," according to Slinker.

"All eight of us are very competitive," Armstrong said. "We all have the desire to win, and we?ll do whatever it takes. I think we?re ready."

TIM MACMAHON can be reached at 940-381-9572.

2002-03 women?s schedule

Date Opponent Time

Nov. 7 Houston Jaguars* 7 p.m.

Nov. 18 Oklahoma Flyers* 7 p.m.

Nov. 22 UTSA 7 p.m.

Nov. 29 Alcorn State# 6 p.m.

Nov. 30 UMKC# 4 p.m.

Dec. 3 at Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 5:30 p.m.

Dec. 7 Illinois% Noon

Dec. 8 Arizona/UC Riverside% TBA

Dec. 11 Indiana 7 p.m.

Dec. 16 at SMU 7 p.m.

Dec. 30 at Baylor 6 p.m.

Jan. 2 LSU 7 p.m.

Jan. 4 Florida International 2 p.m.

Jan. 7 Weber State 7 p.m.

Jan. 11 Denver 7 p.m.

Jan. 16 at Arkansas-Little Rock 7 p.m.

Jan. 18 at Arkansas State 7 p.m.

Jan. 23 New Orleans 7 p.m.

Jan. 25 South Alabama 7 p.m.

Jan. 30 at Louisiana-Lafayette 7 p.m.

Feb, 1 at New Mexico State 8 p.m.

Feb. 6 Middle Tennessee 7 p.m.

Feb. 8 at Western Kentucky 7 p.m.

Feb. 13 at Denver 6 p.m.

Feb. 20 at New Orleans 7 p.m.

Feb. 22 at South Alabama 7 p.m.

Feb. 27 Louisiana-Lafayette 7 p.m.

March 1 New Mexico State 7 p.m.

March 6-11 Sun Belt tourney TBA

*exhibition; #Southwest Texas Classic; %Fiesta Bowl Women?s Basketball Classic

As a new ladies BB fan could I get a quick review from a veterans fan perspective. I'm probably going to check out some of the games this season and wanted an idea on what to expect. I see the differences between men and women as the following

1. More defensive slower pace than mens game.

2. Less physical in the paint

3. No dunking

4. Lower scoring

I'm sure there are more but those are just some that came to mind, but please do let me know if i'm off or missed anything. Thanks for the info.