Recruiting ROI

I think we’ve developed a nice pipeline from the juco ranks. But, with our recent success the past few years, I’m hoping for guys from major conferences to realize what UNT has going for them right now. You still have to recruit the major juco players, tho. You also have to look at P5 kids who are part of a rotation that may want more burn. We have to build up from here on out

• Upvote 2

I would like to see our HS players developed. It seems like none have really contributed since Jones and Scott. Stone has collected some minutes but never found his offensive stride considering he was a 1,500 point scorer in high school. 

• Upvote 1

Don't care where they come from.

NT should just recruit the best players they can get that play NT style basketball; defense is priority, functions well in team environment, excellent character, 

I would prefer a mix of transfers, with a limited number of one year eligibility players, priority on getting players that once signed cannot leave without losing a year of eligibility

Biggest need a defensive oriented big man and returning Edwards, Scott and Jones if he has another year 

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

I would like to see our HS players developed. It seems like none have really contributed since Jones and Scott. Stone has collected some minutes but never found his offensive stride considering he was a 1,500 point scorer in high school. 

It’s harder to tell which HS recruits will pan out . I do believe Layne Taylor will pan out .  

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

4 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I would like to see what Stone can do playing guard, he almost exclusively has been used as a big because NT has lots of good guards and little depth in the frontcourt.  

Not sure if he has the quickness to play guard, but he sure does not have the bulk to be playing against most D1 forwards.  

3 hours ago, BleedingGreen said:

It’s harder to tell which HS recruits will pan out . I do believe Layne Taylor will pan out .  

If you would have asked, I would have expected Cotton to play this year and I expect both incoming freshmen to contribute next year. 

• Upvote 1

this isn't a 4-5 year timeline sport anymore...especially looking at next year's roster with your top 5 players all definitely out of eligibility in '25...I want two more pieces with lots of D1 experience. if Rubin, CJ, Scott, Walker and Buggs all come back, I want all eggs in next year's basket and you deal with two years out in two years. 

bare minimum whoever is coming in as Allen's replacement has to very clearly be the starter (or earning starters minutes) at the 5 from Day 1.

if we're just swapping Taylor and Mason for Moore and Cotton and it allows us to add more experienced players, so be it. 

5 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Why do many of you think Cotton is gone?

if this was in reply to my post...I don't know, but suspect he will be back next season. all I was doing was making the point that if we only end up with two freshmen and 11 seniors/juniors on next year's roster all with D-1 experience I'm fine with it

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

if this was in reply to my post...I don't know, but suspect he will be back next season. all I was doing was making the point that if we only end up with two freshmen and 11 seniors/juniors on next year's roster all with D-1 experience I'm fine with it

Thanks for clarifying, but it wasn't.  It was actually a reply to comments in a number of threads, and then I read back through the comments here and realized this wasn't one of them.