The next Mason Fine?

Harry

Summer camp has Jacob Medrano rolling again.

The Muskogee senior quarterback’s off-season wasn’t one of constant drills. He spent it on the tennis court. Since then, there’s been the two weeks of work in May and a couple of camps, one at former Rougher Seth Littrell’s camp at North Texas and the other at the University of Memphis, and the start of passing league.

No one’s complaining that he lost much of anything on the tennis court, where he was part of the seventh-place No. 1 doubles team at state in a sport he once confessed he took up just to be out of school for tournaments.

“I didn’t harp on him about staying in football,” said his father and the team’s offensive coordinator, Jason Medrano. “He’s got to take those short, choppy steps, he’s got to keep his feet moving and I think that correlates perfectly with tennis. His arm isn’t in the same natural motion in tennis but he’s keeping his arm active and we don’t have to spend a lot of time getting it back into throwing shape.”

Even as a first-year starter, Jacob Medrano knew the position well. His father coached him through youth football. But his confidence grew in what was a 9-2 campaign that brought Muskogee its first district championship since 1989. He threw for 2,516 yards and 21 touchdowns and had just one interception until the semifinal loss to Lawton where he had three, two of which were caused by route busts, in a 35-28 loss.

“His leadership, I couldn’t have asked for more from him,” said Muskogee head coach Rafe Watkins. “His touchdowns to interceptions ratio was just exceptional. He executed well and made good decisions. He had a good year in everything he did and I anticipate it to be the same going forward.”

Both father and son look at the wins against Bixby and Stillwater and even the loss against Sand Springs, where Jacob guided the team to a late go-ahead touchdown before the Sandites rallied to win with a touchdown and bizarre two-point conversion, in molding that success. He also rallied the offense after Stillwater jumped out early in the first-round playoff encounter.

read more:  http://www.muskogeephoenix.com/sports/summer-seasoning-camps-help-get-muskogee-qb-back-in-groove/article_ed5b8430-524e-11e7-a427-dfb1d046651f.html