DRC: Top running backs in UNT history

Brett Vito

4 hours ago, UNT86 said:

Abner Haynes has to be #1

Bernard Jackson is my #2.  He is the best I've seen at NT.

Patrick Cobbs is #3.

Lance Dunbar #4.

Jamario #5.

And thanks for mentioning Monte Moon.  Wishbone fullbacks don't get enough credit.

Damn 86, we really agree on a lot.

The late great Bernard Jackson was also one of my all time favorites. A skinny 5'11" X 175lb athlete, he was one of the most unlikely outstanding running backs in NT history. He was recruited out of Carter HS (one of many during the Hayden Fry era) where he played WR/DB. He arrived in 77 and was converted to running back in the spring of 78. He set the record for a single season @ NT in 78 with 1453 yards.  That record held up for a couple of decades. As a runner, he was generally described as a "slasher" which was generally his preference. But he did a little bit of everything.....slashing, spinning, and giving the defender the ol' limp leg. He was also a serious threat as a receiver. He reminded me a lot of the old Dallas Cowboy RB of the 70's, Preston Pearson.

Monte Moon was also a good one to remember. Moon was one of the most dependable RB's we ever had. I don't ever remember him losing yards.

At this point I'll mention that both of these players wore #23. The other outstanding player to wear #23 was Mitch Maher.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Cooley said:
1 Abner  Haynes
2 Bernard Jackson
3 Jamario Thomas 
4 Patrick Cobb
5 Lance Dunbar
6 Malcolm Jones
7 Ja'quay Wilborn
8 Kevin Galbreath
9 Eric Pegram
10 Jeffrey Wilson
11 A.D. Whitfield
12 Mike Jones
13 Roy Bishop
14 Terrance Brown
15 Bobby Daniels
16 Cedric Cromer
17 David McGinty
18 James Hamilton
19 Monty Moon
20 Antoinne Jimmerson
21 Milton Collins
22 Hut Alred
23 Brandon Byrd
24 Cam Montgomery
25 Eteka Huckaby
26 James Mitchell
27 Micah Mosley
28 Deundrey Mason
29 Mack Cumby
30 Brad Hammick

Cooley, that's a pretty impressive list, but IMHO you left out someone who was better than some of the players on the list.......Bobby Smith #25 on your program. He played just before A.D. Whitfield (early 60's), and like Mr. Whitfield, he had a brief pro career (drafted by Buffalo).

Also missing was NT's first thousand yard rusher......Leo Taylor (1017 in 1968)......I think he wore #21. He also had a career in Canadian Football. For how long I don't remember. His all purpose yards for the two years he was here in 68-69 (running, receiving, returns) was 1652 and 1230 respectively.

And now I'll add my sub-category.......RUNNING BACKS THAT WERE NOT RECORD SETTERS BUT WERE FUN TO WATCH.

#33, Willie Cherry, leading rusher in 65 and 66. Small and very tough. He was a very gritty player. He could have played LB if he wasn't playing RB. I'm told by a classmate of his that he was an ex-marine......and he was crazy. His play kind of reflected that.

#42 Carlen Charleston, leading rusher and all purpose yards leader in 1981. This guy was a lot of fun to watch. At 5'5" X 155lbs, he has to be the smallest leading rusher of any year. He was like watching a miniature Mercury Morris.