DRC: Top running backs in UNT history

Brett Vito

Putting everything in to consideration, I think I would have to put Mr. Haynes at #1.

I would also put Dunbar a notch ahead of Cobbs just because he was really the main focus of every defense and still killed it.

• Upvote 2

I agree with UNTLifer, I didn't see Haynes in college but based on what I saw of his pro career I would put him number 1.  Ray Renfro also has to be on that list based on his accomplishments despite not many fans left from that era.  Erric Pegram also should be on the list.   He didn't have the college numbers but in my view he was better than ether than Dunbar or Cobbs.  

My top five:  Haynes, Renfro, Pegram, Cobbs and Dunbar.  Note: If it was based on one year, Thomas would be number one.  

I would also mention Kevin Galbreath.  Yes he was a juco and only here two years however, he was a horse -- gaining over 1000 yards in each season and led the team to a big bowl win against Cincy - our 1st win against a I-A team since returning to I-A.  That was our 1st major bowl win in the modern era and he ran for 130 yards and a 35 yard touchdown that was a back breaker.  He was also a class act off and on the field.

34 minutes ago, Harry said:

I would also mention Kevin Galbreath.  Yes he was a juco and only here two years however, he was a horse -- gaining over 1000 yards in each season and led the team to a big bowl win against Cincy - our 1st win against a I-A team since returning to I-A.  That was our 1st major bowl win in the modern era and he ran for 130 yards and a 35 yard touchdown that was a back breaker.  He was also a class act off and on the field.

The man that set it up for Cobb and Thomas

• Upvote 3

45 minutes ago, Harry said:

Agreed.  During the Galbreath, Cobbs, Thomas, Dunbar stretch we had legitimate big-time talent at RB.  I sure the Dickey "system" had something to do with it, but these guys were flat out good regardless.  Dunbar maybe more so than the others based on the bad teams he played for during his time at UNT in addition to playing in the "Dodge-ball" offense.

I'll go with Dunbar, Cobbs, Galbreath, Thomas*, and Hayes.

*Freshman year Jamario is the best RB in UNT history.  Period.

• Upvote 1

1 Abner  Haynes
2 Bernard Jackson
3 Jamario Thomas 
4 Patrick Cobb
5 Lance Dunbar
6 Malcolm Jones
7 Ja'quay Wilborn
8 Kevin Galbreath
9 Eric Pegram
10 Jeffrey Wilson
11 A.D. Whitfield
12 Mike Jones
13 Roy Bishop
14 Terrance Brown
15 Bobby Daniels
16 Cedric Cromer
17 David McGinty
18 James Hamilton
19 Monty Moon
20 Antoinne Jimmerson
21 Milton Collins
22 Hut Alred
23 Brandon Byrd
24 Cam Montgomery
25 Eteka Huckaby
26 James Mitchell
27 Micah Mosley
28 Deundrey Mason
29 Mack Cumby
30 Brad Hammick
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

24 minutes ago, NT93 said:

Agreed.  During the Galbreath, Cobbs, Thomas, Dunbar stretch we had legitimate big-time talent at RB.  I sure the Dickey "system" had something to do with it, but these guys were flat out good regardless.  Dunbar maybe more so than the others based on the bad teams he played for during his time at UNT in addition to playing in the "Dodge-ball" offense.

I'll go with Dunbar, Cobbs, Galbreath, Thomas*, and Hayes.

*Freshman year Jamario is the best RB in UNT history.  Period.

Agree with freshman Jamario best ever. His game against Colorado  awed the Buffalo fans around me and is the second best performance by a UNT running back after Dunbar's game at home against Kansas State. Speaking of Kansas State we need to Bring them back to Denton, if that game had been any other weekend than Thanksgiving we would have easily set the attendance record.

I think @Brett Vito got this one right. Cobbs is the best North Texas has had.  Sure he was doing good during the bowl years but despite the atrocity of the 2005 team's offense, he still went for over 1100 yards. There were 8 in the box on every play that season and he still led the Belt in rushing. Also, the list is best Mean Green running back so let's not use the Brian Waters rule and pull in NFL careers.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Also, the list is best Mean Green running back so let's not use the Brian Waters rule and pull in NFL careers.

I don't know if Abner faced 8 in the box, but I do know from statements from teammates that he took a lot of uncalled late hits etc. He absolutely belongs high on the list.

• Upvote 1

Don't forget Olawale, he is having a nice career with the Raiders. Why not throw Stone Cold in there too since he played a fullback in The Longest Yard remake? Sometimes you guys make me wonder if you take these lists seriously. Is this a list of the top running back careers at North Texas or a popularity/NFL career contest?

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, MCMLXXX said:

I don't know if Abner faced 8 in the box, but I do know from statements from teammates that he took a lot of uncalled late hits etc. He absolutely belongs high on the list.

High on the list sure but not at the top. I get he faced a lot of difficulties of the Jackie Robinson variety but just like Robinson, that doesn't make him the best player to ever play his position.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I think @Brett Vito got this one right. Cobbs is the best North Texas has had.  Sure he was doing good during the bowl years but despite the atrocity of the 2005 team's offense, he still went for over 1100 yards. There were 8 in the box on every play that season and he still led the Belt in rushing. Also, the list is best Mean Green running back so let's not use the Brian Waters rule and pull in NFL careers.

Actually both Renfro and Haynes were college All Americans, so if they are who you are referring to; they compare very favorably with the more recent rbs.   Pegram was the best pro player of the more recent players, but in my view he was also the better college back.   Not close to a national rushing champion, but IMO had better moves than the others and was just as fast and fearless.  

3 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Don't forget Olawale, he is having a nice career with the Raiders. Why not throw Stone Cold in there too since he played a fullback in The Longest Yard remake? Sometimes you guys make me wonder if you take these list seriously. Is this a list of the top running back careers at North Texas or a popularity/NFL career contest?

OK, give me an example of one player named on most lists based on pro not college play.    Cooley's list doesn't count; it's too long to analyze.  

33 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

OK, give me an example of one player named on most lists based on pro not college play.    Cooley's list doesn't count; it's too long to analyze.  

Pegram should not be in the top five NT backs of all time period.

I was thinking the Haynes and Renfro positioning was based on their pro careers but maybe not. I didn't realize that both were all Americans. I will say that our program had a much different perception nationally in 1951 than it does today. if Cobbs and Thomas weren't first team all-Americans in 2003-2004, it's never gonna happen for us again.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Cooley said:
1 Abner  Haynes
2 Bernard Jackson
3 Jamario Thomas 
4 Patrick Cobb
5 Lance Dunbar
6 Malcolm Jones
7 Ja'quay Wilborn
8 Kevin Galbreath
9 Eric Pegram
10 Jeffrey Wilson
11 A.D. Whitfield
12 Mike Jones
13 Roy Bishop
14 Terrance Brown
15 Bobby Daniels
16 Cedric Cromer
17 David McGinty
18 James Hamilton
19 Monty Moon
20 Antoinne Jimmerson
21 Milton Collins
22 Hut Alred
23 Brandon Byrd
24 Cam Montgomery
25 Eteka Huckaby
26 James Mitchell
27 Micah Mosley
28 Deundrey Mason
29 Mack Cumby
30 Brad Hammick

dayyuuuuuummm!!!!! we got running backs galore. Jeffrey Wilson #10? 

• Upvote 1

1 Abner  Haynes
2 Bernard Jackson
3 Jamario Thomas 
4 Patrick Cobb
5 Lance Dunbar
6 Malcolm Jones
7 Ja'quay Wilborn
8 Kevin Galbreath
9 Eric Pegram
10 Jeffrey Wilson
11 A.D. Whitfield
12 Mike Jones
13 Roy Bishop
14 Terrance Brown
15 Bobby Daniels
16 Cedric Cromer
17 David McGinty
18 James Hamilton
19 Monty Moon
20 Antoinne Jimmerson
21 Milton Collins
22 Hut Alred
23 Brandon Byrd
24 Cam Montgomery
25 Eteka Huckaby
26 James Mitchell
27 Micah Mosley
28 Deundrey Mason
29 Mack Cumby
30 Brad Hammick

Evan Robertson should be ahead of at least Mosley and probably Hamilton.

1 Abner  Haynes
2 Bernard Jackson
3 Jamario Thomas 
4 Patrick Cobb
5 Lance Dunbar
6 Malcolm Jones
7 Ja'quay Wilborn
8 Kevin Galbreath
9 Eric Pegram
10 Jeffrey Wilson
11 A.D. Whitfield
12 Mike Jones
13 Roy Bishop
14 Terrance Brown
15 Bobby Daniels
16 Cedric Cromer
17 David McGinty
18 James Hamilton
19 Monty Moon
20 Antoinne Jimmerson
21 Milton Collins
22 Hut Alred
23 Brandon Byrd
24 Cam Montgomery
25 Eteka Huckaby
26 James Mitchell
27 Micah Mosley
28 Deundrey Mason
29 Mack Cumby
30 Brad Hammick

Awesome list, but Jimmy and Byrd should be way ahead of Bishop. Roy belongs in the "Oh my, what could have been" category.

• Upvote 1