MGB: Key questions of the offseason Part II -- Can UNT reload at the skill positions?

Brett Vito

14 minutes ago, Aldo said:

In this offense there are inside receivers (Y and "A") and outside receivers (X and Z).

The Kelvin Smith type inside receiver lines up in the Y spot, while your (*depending on the play*) smaller shiftier players will play in the A.

So while they *could* be TE size, think big possession receivers like Thadd Thompson that are always flexed. They typically attack the LBs over/under the middle, but sometime flare along the hashes for a Divide route (see K Smith TD below). Smith (Y) runs the divide while Buyers (A) runs the corner smash to the left.

H0dxa9eu7R23S.gif

Thanks for explaining the role of the Y receiver in the offense, but what does this mean with regard to Kelvin Smith's position change referenced above?

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

22 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Maybe he means H-Back? Maki had no value in the passing game outside of blocking

Smith could block and provide another weapon out of the backfield

Smith thought they played out in the slot, and if they needed an H-Back they would sub smith out for Makai?

If they do/did play smith in the slot.. I’m assuming we should view Chum as a possible back up to him.. do we have anyone else as well?

3 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Thanks for explaining the role of the Y receiver in the offense, but what does this mean with regard to Kelvin Smith's position change referenced above?

I guess what I mean is, there is not TE in the offense any more. The only position switch Kelvin experienced was going from TE in McCarney era to inside receiver in Littrell era. Or as MGNation92 said, also can be an H-Back out of the backfield.

Not sure what position switch is being referenced.

28 minutes ago, UNT Mean Green said:

I've been told "hand in the dirt" or "attached" TE. 

By coaches?

ETA: Not questioning, just curious. This Air Raid scheme doesn't necessarily use traditional inline TEs. But if they're going to add them for jumbo packages, for example, I'm for it.

Edited by Aldo

22 hours ago, Aldo said:

By coaches?

ETA: Not questioning, just curious. This Air Raid scheme doesn't necessarily use traditional inline TEs. But if they're going to add them for jumbo packages, for example, I'm for it.

When SL was at Arizona State he had gronk as a TE...

I'm assuming that they ran a modified Air-Raid.

17 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

When SL was at Arizona State he had gronk as a TE...

I'm assuming that they ran a modified Air-Raid.

When Gronk was at Arizona, Sonny Dykes was the OC 07 and 08 (Gronk hurt 09 before getting drafted in 10).

Dykes, like Littrell is a Leach disciple. They flex out tight ends into receivers.

If Kelvin Smith is ever blocking, I think it'll be out of a package that has him lined up in the backfield as an H-back. That gives you the option to use him as a blocker, or as a receiver.

28 minutes ago, Aldo said:

When Gronk was at Arizona, Sonny Dykes was the OC 07 and 08 (Gronk hurt 09 before getting drafted in 10).

Dykes, like Littrell is a Leach disciple. They flex out tight ends into receivers.

If Kelvin Smith is ever blocking, I think it'll be out of a package that has him lined up in the backfield as an H-back. That gives you the option to use him as a blocker, or as a receiver.

What I meant was SL was there when Gronk was and SL coached TEs, I believe.

Coming from the Leach coaching tree, with Sykes he most likely would use him like Dykes used Gronk.

• Upvote 1